Permit holder protects mother from home invader.

Derby

Fortunately, the permit holder was nearby and on the phone with is mother when the invader entered.

Link Removed

I know news stories usually leave a lot to be desired when it comes to details and getting things correct so I will just have to go on what they wrote. The article said the BG had a shovel and the son told the man to drop the shovel and then there was a scuffle. If you are going to carry concealed you have to be prepared to use the weapon. This guy was not scared away just because they guy had a gun. If I'm in that situation protecting a loved one and I say drop the shovel the shovel will be dropping to the ground immediately; the BG will be the one who decides if he will drop the shovel with our without body perforations. If a guy is in an older ladies home attacking her with a shovel I think a warning from someone holding a gun there to protect her is a luxury the BG doesn't deserve.

Perhaps her son didn't have his weapon drawn when he approached the BG since a shovel isn't normally considered a deadly weapon. It was probably when he got too close to the BG that the BG came at him with the shovel. I guess the exact details we'll never know.

He must've been really close to the home lol. Either way, if I get a call like that in going inside weapon drawn ready to drop someone. He already knew the man wasn't supposed to be there and had malicious intent, why let it get to the point of a scuffle?

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

The scuffle seems to have been unnecessary. The son should've never allowed the BG to get that close. Not sure how a shovel is not considered a deadly weapon (asserted above in one of the replies), but I do know TN has a Castle Doctrine law that makes the person using force justified in assuming a deadly threat from anyone who made felonious entry, so the shovel is irrelevant to whether or not the son would have been justified to shoot. Glad it turned out OK for him, but I see that fact as a total accident, as the BG could've gotten his gun from him and killed both him and his mom if he'd been a better "scuffler."

I found the last paragraph kind of funny.

Lynch is charged with especially aggravated burglary and two counts of aggravated assault. Bond has not yet been set.

So, can anyone from TN give the legal definition for the word "especially" in this charge? Just kinda struck me funny.

Oh well, glad everybody lived through it. Don't think everybody would have lived through it if that were my wife in my house and I was coming into a situation where I knew she was being threatened with a weapon of any kind. 'Course, my wife would've dropped him before I could turn around and head back to the house! LOL

Blues

I would be especially pi$$ed if I found someone with a shovel in my mothers/family members home, period. What does anyone think a stranger in her home with a shovel is going to do? Dig some holes in the carpet for her to plant flowers or shrubs, Hellooooo. There was no need for any kind of scuffle, drop the sh1thead and call 911.
~
Those who have a problem with that kind of reaction needs to reevaluate their purpose in life. I lost my mother in 94 and miss her every day. There is nothing I would not do to have kept her safe from harm and I mean nothing. I feel the same way about my father who I still have and cherish every day (he is 90). Family is life and I will protect that life by what ever means. My wife thinks that I can be extreme, but is glad to know that her mother who now lives with us (she is 89) falls within that family boundary.

I don't know but I would like to believe if someone broke into my mother house and I have a gun I will be ready to use it but everyone have his or her limit and this for me will be over.

I believe we may be missing a bigger point. TN does indeed have Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, so yes, the son had every right to shoot this maggot.

But let's get a bit psychological here. The son comes in the house, has the gun drawn, realizes that he can take the punk, and decides it will feel much better to beat the living snot out of him with his bare hands rather than waste an expensive defense round instead. He then holsters his gun, and commences to beat this a$$hole into submission. This could have been a more enjoyable turn of events for the son than shooting the maggot.

Since there are few facts, I'm just throwing that in to the mix as a possibility.

:sarcastic:

Last edited:
Yes, TN has proper Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws. A shovel is certainly considered a deadly weapon in this context, but a deadly weapon is not required in a Castle Doctrine defense. I would try to avoid any "scuffle". No reason to put yourself in danger, because you feel like beating up the home invader is somehow a good idea. He may have a knife or may be able to grab your gun or a heavy object in your home. In any case, a "scuffle" could get you killed.

Yes, TN has proper Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws. A shovel is certainly considered a deadly weapon in this context, but a deadly weapon is not required in a Castle Doctrine defense. I would try to avoid any "scuffle". No reason to put yourself in danger, because you feel like beating up the home invader is somehow a good idea. He may have a knife or may be able to grab your gun or a heavy object in your home. In any case, a "scuffle" could get you killed.

I'm in no way shape or form suggesting he SHOULD have scuffled.

My main point was we are all hypothesizing as to what did or did not happen. We have zero details other than he went there, has a gun permit, scuffled and was the victor. In fact there is no mention that the son even had a gun in the article.... except for the title of the article. I gave a ludicrous example of what might have happened. I was hoping that the sarcasm bled through my version. Apparently it did not. I'm going to edit my post and put the sarcastic emoticon by it.

*rolls eyes*

I'm in no way shape or form suggesting he SHOULD have scuffled.

My main point was we are all hypothesizing as to what did or did not happen. We have zero details other than he went there, has a gun permit, scuffled and was the victor. In fact there is no mention that the son even had a gun in the article.... except for the title of the article. I gave a ludicrous example of what might have happened. I was hoping that the sarcasm bled through my version. Apparently it did not. I'm going to edit my post and put the sarcastic emoticon by it.

*rolls eyes*

Actually, I understood your post, I just wanted to make sure that no one gets the idea that a fist fight or similar close physical altercation with an intruder is a good idea. Unfortunately, this is the current home defense strategy of several people I know.

Actually, I understood your post, I just wanted to make sure that no one gets the idea that a fist fight or similar close physical altercation with an intruder is a good idea. Unfortunately, this is the current home defense strategy of several people I know.

Phewww.... I was about ready to lose all hope for humanity. :smile:

What really chaps my hide in all these stories is the vast, almost worshipful importance placed on the "permit" or "license" or whatever they call that asinine little slip of paper. The implication always seems to be that without that permission slip from the dear masters, the victim would have no other option but to die quietly or be a "criminal" if they used a gun to defend themselves. Such incredible BS...

There are plenty of us who don't have, never had, and never will have such a "permission slip." And none of us are prepared to be helpless victims because of it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back