Pepper Spray

vernsimpson

I live in the Twin Cities in MN and want to find the best pepper spray and where to get it around here. I want to get it for my daughter for when she is running. She does not want to carry a gun while she is running.

I would be thankful for any help I can get.

Has anyone here tested these out? I was looking in to getting some, but I had one (only one, but a reliable source - she taught women's self defense/victim proof woman very well) who recommended against pepper spray. It was her experience that some people are immune to the stuff, and on relatively windy days it might miss or incapacitate you instead. In her estimation, it wasn't worth the risk... she preferred a tactical pen because although it's only good at extremely close range, it's reliable. I still think pepper spray would be a good addition... any thoughts? Is it more reliable than she thinks?

Find anything that has 10% Oleoresin Capsicum. That is what LE uses and I have been sprayed with it. It was the worst 30-40 minutes I have ever endured and I had guys with water and baby shampoo immediately treating me. I would also recommend the stream dispenser rather than the cone. The cone has a tendency to drift back into the user's face. Not good.

As far as brand, it doesn't matter if you have the right mix inside.

The Kimber Pepper Blaster II is a great choice for OC spray. It is very comfortable in the grip and the gel is less likely to waft in the wind. Remora makes a holster for them that fit inside just about anything without bulk.

Has anyone here tested these out? I was looking in to getting some, but I had one (only one, but a reliable source - she taught women's self defense/victim proof woman very well) who recommended against pepper spray. It was her experience that some people are immune to the stuff, and on relatively windy days it might miss or incapacitate you instead. In her estimation, it wasn't worth the risk... she preferred a tactical pen because although it's only good at extremely close range, it's reliable. I still think pepper spray would be a good addition... any thoughts? Is it more reliable than she thinks?

I have been sprayed with LE 10% OC spray as part of my training to carry it. It was the worst 30 minutes of my life... I still had red eyes for the next day. When you discharge, you should shield your eyes with one hand while spraying with the other. I would recommend the type that shoots a line out rather than a cone because it doesn't mist as much and reduces the chance of it coming back at you. Never shoot directly into the wind.

An excellent usage is if a crowd is coming after you, it can be used on many of them at once.

My hubby got me some extra strong pepper spray at our local gun shop. They have some that is also enough to take on a bear which is what I really need as I run on trails in our mountain area. You can also look on Amazon. I have one that has a strap that across my hand so the spray is in my hand while running and easy access. It is so light and not a burden to carry.

Fox Labs or Sabre Red. Strongest SHU rating by law. Either one will serve you just fine. You can get them online, or from ****'s or similar stores.

PS, don't pay any attention to the % ratings. They are % by volume, which doesn't tell you anything. Look at the SHU or Scoville heat index rating, which will tell you how hot the OC really is. We use the tactical deployment (grenades) and crowd control canisters at work and go through a lot of it. Sabre Red is what we use.

PS, don't pay any attention to the % ratings. They are % by volume, which doesn't tell you anything. Look at the SHU or Scoville heat index rating, which will tell you how hot the OC really is. We use the tactical deployment (grenades) and crowd control canisters at work and go through a lot of it. Sabre Red is what we use.

Every time I've picked up a bottle of 10% Oleoresin Capsicum, it has been 2 million SHU. These are rated for LE use and we had to take a course in using them correctly (yes, I know that sounds stupid).

If you have different volume containers and each container had 10% by volume of the Oleoresin Capsicum, wouldn't that necessitate that they would have the same SHU since there would be the same amount of the "hot stuff" per volume?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back