Pennsylvania PA LTCF

vermontca

I am a LTCF holder, issued by Centre County in late 2004, so I am up for renewal. I have just run into a problem trying to do that, as Centre County has sent my application back to me with a simple sticky note on it that reads; "We don't do permits for Canada". Now please correct me if I am wrong, but the PA Uniform Firearms Act says nothing about qualified non-citizens being bared from obtaining a LTCF if they are not bared from possession of firearms by state or federal law.

Is there a county that would be happy to take my money, run the required checks, and renew my LTCF?

What was your status when you got your permit in '04? I too do not see anything in the PA UFA that would bar you from obtaining one. It would be worth a call to the Centre Co. sheriff. Make sure you are talking with the sheriff himself and not a clerk. You might also join Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association and ask around there. Just a quick browse there turned up a few other Canadians with PA LTCFs.

Good luck, and welcome to USA Carry!

My status was generally the same. I moved, but within Ontario Canada. I did call Centre County before I sent in the nrenewal, but it was not Sheriff Nau that I spoke with. I should maybe write him a personal letter. They had stated they likely would not, and she surprised they had given me one back then.

I called the PA State Police yesterday, and they pretty well said it was not up to them and was at the discretion of the sheriff of the county to which I applied. I guess "shall issue" was not a consideration.

I did join the pafoa.org yesterday, and am hoping for additional information there as well.

I need a friendly Sheriff who will take my money.:cray:

I got my PA packet back in the mail with a letter than said "you did not include your Hawaii CCW". I emailed the Sheriff of Centre County (Sheriff Nau) and he said it was a mistake that he knows Hawaii does not issue CCW's. So I just sent the packet back last Monday. Seems like he is easy to work with.

I got my PA packet back in the mail with a letter than said "you did not include your Hawaii CCW". I emailed the Sheriff of Centre County (Sheriff Nau) and he said it was a mistake that he knows Hawaii does not issue CCW's. So I just sent the packet back last Monday. Seems like he is easy to work with.
I would think that HI would be in the same boat as NJ and MD. Your state law does have provisions for CCW permits, but they are almost never issued. In that reguard, I would think that you would not be able to get a PA LTCF.

Hey, if he gives you one, great! I just wouldn't think that you would be able to get one.

What probably got you your PA LTC back then is that you were a legal resident of the US and legally could possess firearms per federal law. Now you're not, you can't.

As the original poster, I was never a resident of the US. Those visiting the US may possess firearms if they qualify under one of the Title 18 exemptions for possession. I have always maintained a 'hunting licence issued by a state of the United States', thus have always maintained at least one exemption. When I got my PA LTCF in 2004, Centre County was welcoming the applications from qualified Canadians. Since they have computer access to ensure I am not disqualified, I am not sure why they will no longer. My application was simply returned with a yellow post-it note on it with the words 'we don't do permits for Canada'.

If any member here is familiar with a PA county that will welcome an application from a Canadian, please let me know. My other permits have reciprocity in some states, but fewer than with a valid PA LTCF as well.

Pennslvania Sheriffs will only issue to persons holding a license on their home state. As a resident of Ohio, I must have a valid Ohio CHL to acquire a PA LTCF

Pennslvania Sheriffs will only issue to persons holding a license on their home state. As a resident of Ohio, I must have a valid Ohio CHL to acquire a PA LTCF
Correct! State law. You can get a non res permit as long as you have one from your home state!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back