Pedestrian Detained by Police for Legal Open Carry

Stan45

Link Removed

Pedestrian Detained by Police for Legal Open Carry

If your state allows open carry, and you open carry, I highly recommend that you know the law as well as this guy seems to.

I always wanted to put together case laws that could be pointed to in incidents like this. I brought it up before, glad this video is still being circulated around.

Sadly the LEOs could not not respond to the caller and check him out....sad commentary on todays world on all fronts.

Sadly the LEOs could not not respond to the caller and check him out....sad commentary on todays world on all fronts.

They should of just told the caller that it is legal for someone to carry openly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cE5N2ZXr6c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This audio is a little long...they should of had the first four minutes covered within the first 5 seconds...but it's ok. One of the biggest aspects in public service is public education. It's too bad it doesn't happen more often for open carrying.

Did you notice that the officer broke rule number two.
2. NEVER LET THE MUZZLE POINT AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

I don't think it was right for him to be stopped but all this does is give cops more reason to hate on citizens who carry.

And what I mean by that is well informed citizens are the bane of police officers. Now thanks to this I'm armed with information as well as my firearm.

given his preparedness, the number of court cases he cited, and the fact he was videoing it all, kinda makes me think he was looking for that to happen.

the patrolman says 'its a matter of public safety' after grabbing the guys loaded gun and momentarily pointing it at him...

given his preparedness, the number of court cases he cited, and the fact he was videoing it all, kinda makes me think he was looking for that to happen.

the patrolman says 'its a matter of public safety' after grabbing the guys loaded gun and momentarily pointing it at him...

Does it matter if the citizen acting with in the law was "looking for that to happen?" He didn't "make" the encounter happen, the officer that stopped him did. Police should be held accountable for their actions just like everyone else. I know that there are employers that will put their employees in certain situations to see if they will make the right choice. I see no problem with doing the same with police officers.

That is "kinda" the same argument that some people use when a woman gets raped and they find out she was wearing a nice dress. No, she was not ASKING to get raped. We don't train with our firearms because we are LOOKING for a gunfight. This guy was not asking or looking to get stopped. It is because of the small percentage of officers out there that are misinformed that I must be prepared. It is not because I am looking for an encounter, but if the encounter happens, I am ready.

Well Sir... I open carry everywhere I go everyday here in Michigan... including sometimes to municipal council meetings. And I don't go where open carry is illegal. And I legally covertly!!!! video and audio record each and every second I'm open carrying. Why?

Because if anyone, cop or just a jerk arse dink wanting to make trouble, lies and says I did something I didn't do I have a recording to go after them in court with. And you bet I will pursue it to the fullest extent possible.

Dude... we carry guns to protect our very lives from criminals... why would we not carry recorders to protect ourselves from lying cops and sanctimonious know it alls wanting to cause trouble?

While you may think knowing the laws and recording events shows a desire to cause a confrontation the truth is quite the opposite. I research the laws so I will know that what I am doing is legal... you know... actually following the law? And I record so I can prove I DIDN'T cause a confrontation... the other guy did.

Think of it this way... if a bad guy attacks me on the street I carry a gun so I can defend myself. Well... if a bad guy (and some cops ARE bad guys! full of their authority and looking to cause problems. They may be few and far between.. thank God!... but they are out there) attacks me in court I want to have a recording to prove my innocence!!

Whether OC'ing or CC'ing (if someone catches an accidental "show" of your CC'd gun they also can lie that you did something stupid too) having a sound knowledge of the firearms laws where you are carrying a gun and recording equipment to have a record of what is happening..... is nothing more than covering your own arse.

By the way... I save those recordings for many years too.

I am very happy he stood up for his rights. Here in my little crime infested city Tulsa,Oklahoma if it had been my sweet Tulsa cop Kristy Maxwell Allen. The sweet lady who arrested me at the Golds Gym back on July 16 2010. He would have been arrested no matter what her real lawful reason would have been. And our really nice Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan would have backed her up 100%. And our Tulsa County District Attorney Tim Harris, who hates anyone except law Officers who carry any firearms. who no matter what file some type of charge against him. It might not hold up in Court but it sure would cost him a lot to defend himself. I sure found this fact out what I was accused of pointing my handgun at a person. Arrested and it ended up with a jury trial, with me being found not guilty. I complained to the Tulsa Police Dept. got a sit down with my arresting Officer Allen, even with me being found not guilty she had the gall to tell me that the jury had got it wrong. And I should have been convicted. This with NO other witness to what that anti firearm guy Steven Jay Sockey, accused me of doing. So I am glad that cop did not cuff him and haul him to jail. You just never know what a cop will really do.

Well Sir... I open carry everywhere I go everyday here in Michigan... including sometimes to municipal council meetings. And I don't go where open carry is illegal. And I legally covertly!!!! video and audio record each and every second I'm open carrying. Why?

Because if anyone, cop or just a jerk arse dink wanting to make trouble, lies and says I did something I didn't do I have a recording to go after them in court with. And you bet I will pursue it to the fullest extent possible.

Dude... we carry guns to protect our very lives from criminals... why would we not carry recorders to protect ourselves from lying cops and sanctimonious know it alls wanting to cause trouble?

While you may think knowing the laws and recording events shows a desire to cause a confrontation the truth is quite the opposite. I research the laws so I will know that what I am doing is legal... you know... actually following the law? And I record so I can prove I DIDN'T cause a confrontation... the other guy did.

Think of it this way... if a bad guy attacks me on the street I carry a gun so I can defend myself. Well... if a bad guy (and some cops ARE bad guys! full of their authority and looking to cause problems. They may be few and far between.. thank God!... but they are out there) attacks me in court I want to have a recording to prove my innocence!!

Whether OC'ing or CC'ing (if someone catches an accidental "show" of your CC'd gun they also can lie that you did something stupid too) having a sound knowledge of the firearms laws where you are carrying a gun and recording equipment to have a record of what is happening..... is nothing more than covering your own arse.

By the way... I save those recordings for many years too.
It seems to me that this is paranoia at it's worst. WHY would you walk around with a recorder going every time you leave the house unless you were scared of your own shadow. If you ended up in a confrontation I am purty sure that you would be observed turning your recorder on and that would either terminate the situation or would cause it to escalate. At that point you may get what you are not looking for shoved down your throat by a bad guy.
But each of us have a right to their opinion. You have your's and I have mine.
Bill

Last edited:
It seems to me that this is paranoia at it's worst. WHY would you walk around with a recorder going every time you leave the house unless you were scared of your own shadow. If you ended up in a confrontation I am purty sure that you would be observed turning your recorder on and that would either terminate the situation or would cause it to escalate. At that point you may get what you are not looking for shoved down your throat by a bad guy.
But each of us have a right to their opinion. You have your's and I have mine.
Bill
Actually Bill.... I turn on my recorder before I step into public.

And it's not paranoia to protect yourself from bad cops and lying citizens if they really are out there.

Also you do realize that the anti gunners think anyone who carries a gun when they leave the house must be paranoid and scared of his own shadow... right?

But as you said...you have your opinion and I have mine. And, in my opinion, since the cops record YOU so they can prove YOU did something wrong a wise person would record the cops to prove they did something wrong but you didn't. I'll never understand why it is Ok for the cops to record citizens but if a citizen records the cops he must be paranoid or scared of his own shadow.

Now for the idea that someone who knows the law and records events must be intentionally provoking a response.... ummm... since open carry is a legal activity in many States/areas and recording is also legal in many States/areas........

Why does doing so result in a response? Isn't the one who, in their sanctimonious moral outrage (cop or citizen), is doing the responding to a perfectly legal activity actually the one in the wrong?

Edited to add:

Please consider this also...

People carry a gun to defend themselves from an attacking criminal hopefully preventing them from ending up in the hospital or a coffin... and most folks think doing that is a good thing.

But when someone carries a recorder to defend themselves from lying police and/or citizens to prevent themselves from ending up in jail or the poor house ... some folks think that is being paranoid or scared of their own shadow?

Hmmmmmm..... in my opinion... there is an inconsistency there.

Yea. he was looking for that to happen just like a woman is looking to get raped because she has a vagina. Damn.

They should of just told the caller that it is legal for someone to carry openly.

NO

this is such a dangerous and misleading statement that SO many people don't understand. One hears the term 'open carry', and, as we've seen, people think it's a license to wander around wherever they please with their handgun hanging on their hip.

'Open Carry' doesn't apply on PRIVATE PROPERTY. One can walk 4 blocks down a city street and cross over public to private property a dozen times.

We get this all the time.. some doofus thinks he's exercising 'open carry' rights and wanders into a mall or gas station or parking complex or ANY number of private properties.. then the property owner calls us..we respond to a weapons complaint and then said doofus cries to high heaven about being jacked up by the man..

There's a way to 'open carry' correctly.. FAR too many don't learn the nuances of this concept before strolling out into the world showing off their handgun.

We get this all the time.. some doofus thinks he's exercising 'open carry' rights and wanders into a mall or gas station or parking complex or ANY number of private properties.. then the property owner calls us..we respond to a weapons complaint and then said doofus cries to high heaven about being jacked up by the man..

You mean someone like this "doofus":

Link Removed

NO

this is such a dangerous and misleading statement that SO many people don't understand. One hears the term 'open carry', and, as we've seen, people think it's a license to wander around wherever they please with their handgun hanging on their hip.

'Open Carry' doesn't apply on PRIVATE PROPERTY. One can walk 4 blocks down a city street and cross over public to private property a dozen times.

There's a way to 'open carry' correctly.. FAR too many don't learn the nuances of this concept before strolling out into the world showing off their handgun.

The only thing dangerous and misleading are police officers who don't care about the law and arrest people based on their own biased opinion...look in the mirror lately? What license are you talking about? It's my RIGHT to open carry, and I do so EVERYWHERE I go. I have never ran into your "nuances" or "weapons complaints"...I'm going to chalk it up to better police/911 operators around my area than your area.

NO

Actually, while the majority of LE are good cops who are well aware of the laws, ALL of the laws, regarding open carry in their State and locale.... far too many LEO's do not do their "due diligence" in learning and understanding the nuances of the laws that pertain to open carry.

Private property owners have the right to either disallow the carrying guns either concealed or openly... OR BY NOT ACTIVELY DISALLOWING... tacitly allow folks to carry guns either concealed or openly on/in their property. While there are laws that support the property owner's decision to not allow (ban) guns on/in his property.... it is the private property owner who decides if guns will, or will not, be allowed on/in his property.

The way you made your statement above carries the implication that open carry is illegal on/in private property.

Sooo....

Please show me the law... give me a cite and/or a link... of/to the law that says open carry doesn't apply to private property. Please back up your statement with facts.

Wow. I said 'kinda' makes me think he was looking for that to happen, comparing it to a rape case is completely unfair.

In truth this guy is my hero, I could only aspire to handle a situation like that 1/2 as well as he did. I thought it was an awesome video, I've watched it a few times and studied his methods, I just had no idea so many people video taped their entire lives. Seems a little unnecessary to me personally, but I do (now) understand the reasons others have cited for doing so, guess I am just lucky to live in a very gun-friendly state and town and I don't travel very often.

I have been to Portland Maine though, and if I go back I might open carry on congress street and video the whole thing just for you guys....a video that my farts will be the star of! Seriously, I may have a digestive problem....actually think i'm lactose intolerant but cheese is my favorite food!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back