"Peaceable Journey" in Missouri

Mikes

I'm trying to get a definitive answer to these questions:
Is it legal to carry a loaded pistol in my car in Missouri? If so, does it need to be concealed, and if so, how... glove box, locked container, trunk?
What about an unloaded pistol?
If unloaded, what about the ammunition... with the gun, separated from the gun, etc.?
Does it matter if I have a Concealed Carry Permit or not?

Thanks

Vehicles

Source == ccw042411_short version from KJ
Long Version Link Removed

Vehicles
Under the statute the right to carry loaded concealed handguns in one’s home is extended to one’s vehicle. This extended right is confined to persons 21 years old or older who lawfully possesses the firearm. This right only applies to “concealable” firearms (they mean handguns). It does NOT apply to rifles, carbines, or shotguns. It doesn’t have to make sense, it’s just the law.
The term "lawfully possess" means that the individual can legally own a handgun. Some persons have privately acquired handguns in Missouri without going through Missouri's mandatory, but lightly enforced, purchase permit system (see MISSOURI WEAPONS AND SELF-DEFENSE LAW at page 92). While these handguns have been unlawfully purchased this does not mean that they are unlawfully possessed.
The handgun may be carried anywhere in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. As in the home, one must be cautious about access by children. People have been charged with endangering the welfare of children by allowing access to guns, and certain prosecutors may take this as a consolation prize.

For a much more in-depth page on the law, the class, restrictions & permissions Click Here. An extremely knowledgeable person has put together the ultimate informational guide.

Missouri is what I would consider a good state for drivers without a CCW permit (whether they reside in Missouri or somewhere else). There, it is legal for any adult nonfelon 21 years of age or older to have a loaded, readily accessible, lawfully possessed handgun in a vehicle without a permit. For people who drive almost everywhere they go, it is actually better to carry this way than it is to go through the training, fingerprinting, and fees associated with obtaining a permit.

While traveling...

I kept my USP 45 with us at all times in the motor home. Not loaded but two mags ready to go next to the case it was in. It only takes about 4 seconds to load and be ready. This way we were not in violation of states with less than reasonable gun laws.

I'm trying to get a definitive answer to these questions:
Is it legal to carry a loaded pistol in my car in Missouri? If so, does it need to be concealed, and if so, how... glove box, locked container, trunk?
What about an unloaded pistol?
If unloaded, what about the ammunition... with the gun, separated from the gun, etc.?
Does it matter if I have a Concealed Carry Permit or not?
You can legally have a loaded concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of your vehicle if you are 21 or over in MO per Link Removed It needs to be concealed on your person or within the vehicle (glove box, center console, etc.) If you do not posssess a valid CCW, you must remove the firearm from your person prior to exiting the vehicle.

Confusing, OPEN CARRY in vehicle

Source == ccw042411_short version from KJ
Long Version Link Removed

Vehicles
Under the statute the right to carry loaded concealed handguns in one’s home is extended to one’s vehicle. This extended right is confined to persons 21 years old or older who lawfully possesses the firearm. This right only applies to “concealable” firearms (they mean handguns). It does NOT apply to rifles, carbines, or shotguns. It doesn’t have to make sense, it’s just the law.
The term "lawfully possess" means that the individual can legally own a handgun. Some persons have privately acquired handguns in Missouri without going through Missouri's mandatory, but lightly enforced, purchase permit system (see MISSOURI WEAPONS AND SELF-DEFENSE LAW at page 92). While these handguns have been unlawfully purchased this does not mean that they are unlawfully possessed.
The handgun may be carried anywhere in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. As in the home, one must be cautious about access by children. People have been charged with endangering the welfare of children by allowing access to guns, and certain prosecutors may take this as a consolation prize.

For a much more in-depth page on the law, the class, restrictions & permissions Click Here. An extremely knowledgeable person has put together the ultimate informational guide.

I find this to be contrary to an article I read that says... Ammo separate, gun non easily accessible. How can it be both!

I find this to be contrary to an article I read that says... Ammo separate, gun non easily accessible. How can it be both!

You do understand that you are quoting a more than 8 year old post who's links are defunct? Not only that, but you do not cite anything to the contrary.

Questions, such as those raised by the OP, depend on applicable state and federal law, both of which may change over time. The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) regulates certain aspects of peaceable journey, while state law regulates other related aspects. The OP did not even mention if he/she is a resident of the state or not, passing through the state, or traveling to/from the state. These specifics may or may not matter, which is why general questions, such as the OP, are not easy to answer.

January 1, 2017, Missouri has a Permitless Carry Law, which means what exactly for the 8 year old OP and the post you are responding to?

You do understand that you are quoting a more than 8 year old post who's links are defunct? Not only that, but you do not cite anything to the contrary.

Questions, such as those raised by the OP, depend on applicable state and federal law, both of which may change over time. The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) regulates certain aspects of peaceable journey, while state law regulates other related aspects. The OP did not even mention if he/she is a resident of the state or not, passing through the state, or traveling to/from the state. These specifics may or may not matter, which is why general questions, such as the OP, are not easy to answer.

January 1, 2017, Missouri has a Permitless Carry Law, which means what exactly for the 8 year old OP and the post you are responding to?

It means you're arguing with a spambot

And? January 1st 2017 wasn't even close 8 years ago, but here we are commenting on an 8 year old thread. Try to read MaryPoppins's post and then try to make sense out if it. It doesn't.

Well no, it wasn't, I was just pointing out that the fact that Missouri won't become a constitutional carry state until next year. Whatever laws and regs they have now still applies.

But no, since there's only a few days left of 2016, I'm not going to even attempt to make heads or tails about what MP was trying to point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back