Passing Through The State

cmhbob

Sig fault.
I'm an Ohio resident, currently living fulltime in an RV and traveling the country. We're in Muskogee, OK right now, but tomorrow I'm driving back to Columbus OH, via I-70.

My Kimber needs to be...what? Cased and unloaded? Broken down? Loaded mag? Where? Vehicle is a crewcab pickup.

Sorry - I should have been more clear, even though I posted in the Illinois forum. I was asking for the legal way to transport the gun through Illinois.

Ah yes, the Communist State of Illinois. I think the proper procedure is to make sure everything is separate. Gun in one place, Ammo in another, no loaded magazines, and for God's sake lock everything in a separate compartment. (They wouldn't want you to be able to protect yourself now):fie: I won't go to Illinois or Wisconsin again until they change their attitudes towards carrying a concealed weapon by licensed person's. Have a safe trip and watch your speed.:pleasantry:

Thanks jgolden.

I ended up with the gun cased and unloaded, and the case tucked in a plastic tub in the bed of the truck. Mag was with the gun, but not inserted. Had another mag in the truck with me in a computer bag.

There's a middle way if you are willing to possibly be hassled for doing it. Read this page:

Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

Remember, the courts (not the police) are the final determination of the law. Most police officers would probably think this method is illegal. Be prepared to go though the judicial system to prove them wrong. Also, remember the 4th amendment (protection from unreasonable search & seizure) . Most of all, always be respectful to any officer don't try to argue the law with them.

glad you got through ok... but what you did was correct... non-residents unloaded, cased, and out of immediate access (ammo can be in same place)... unless you go though Chicago it has to be broken down to a non functioning state (info for later trips)

I was asking for the legal way to transport the gun through Illinois.

I could be wrong but I thought the only acceptable answer was to dispose of all guns and ammo in the deepest swamp you can find before entering the state. :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back