Paprwork

Blueshell

Banned
I don't live in South Dakota. I don't work in South Dakota.

But my Drivers license is South Dakota because it's way to much work to transfer it AND my carry permits to the state I reside in.

As a result, I can only buy handguns in a state I DO NOT reside in (South Dakota). I am legally *prohibited* from buying handguns in the state I do actually live and work in but I can only buy handguns in the state I DO NOT live or work in and bring them here.

Tell me how that's supposed to make sense. I thought Amendments applied to the ENTIRE NATION. Am I wrong? What other amendments only apply to some states but not other states? In what state do I not have a right to free speech? In what state do I not have a right against unreasonable search and seizure?

I don't live in South Dakota. I don't work in South Dakota.

But my Drivers license is South Dakota because it's way to much work to transfer it

And you are likely violating the state law of the state you are living in which likely requires you to obtain their driver's license within a certain period of time of establishing residency there.

As a result, I can only buy handguns in a state I DO NOT reside in (South Dakota).

Not legally.

I am legally *prohibited* from buying handguns in the state I do actually live and work

Why? The state you reside in IS the state you are legal to purchase handguns in. You might want to familiarize yourself with block 20b on the form 4473 and the instructions for block 20b. And you misspelled paperwork.

but I can only buy handguns in the state I DO NOT live or work in and bring them here.

Again, not legally.

Tell me how that's supposed to make sense. I thought Amendments applied to the ENTIRE NATION. Am I wrong? What other amendments only apply to some states but not other states? In what state do I not have a right to free speech? In what state do I not have a right against unreasonable search and seizure?

Welcome to Amerika.

And you are likely violating the state law of the state you are living in which likely requires you to obtain their driver's license within a certain period of time of establishing residency there.
Given the quantity of obscure laws and that I'm not a lawyer I can't rule that out. I can say that it's not my intent to brake any law regarding my driver's license.

Not legaly
Yes, legaly.

Why? The state you reside in IS the state you are legal to purchase handguns in.
Are you not aware of the interstate handgun transfer ban?

My drivers licence is SD, therefore I can only buy handguns from an FFL in SD.
When I lived and worked in Oklahoma building powerline, my drivers license was SD, because the project was temporary lasting only a year. During that year, the law didn't allow me to buy handguns in Oklahoma even though I lived and worked in Oklahoma because my drivers license was SD.

It doesn't matter what state I live and work in, what matters is what state seal is on a little card. Even though I live and work here, I haven't been able to establish residency yet. As soon as I do, I'll have to go take all kinds of classes and whatnot in order to carry, even though I can legaly carry right now without those classes etc.

Again, not legally.
If I went to an FFL today and bought a handgun, they are legaly required to ship it to an FFL in SD and I would have to go to SD to pick it up, because my drivers license is SD. That's the law.

Blueshell,

The state of residence for purchasing handguns is the state you live in, which may or may not be the same state you have a driver's license from. Question #2 on the form 4473 asks for your CURRENT residence address. When you put in a South Dakota address in that block because that is what is on your driver's license and you don't actually live there - that is falsifying the information on the form and a Federal felony. But, hey, it's just too much trouble to change your driver's license, right? I would rather stand in line at the DMV for one day, then stand in line to get my prison food served to me every day. But whatever floats your boat.

In regards to purchasing a handgun in a state of residence your driver's license is not from - block 20b on the form 4473 allows for a second government issued document to be entered to prove state of residence such as a hunting or fishing license, tax statement, vehicle registration, etc that shows the CURRENT residence address on it. The driver's license serves as the identification document and the second government issued document serves as the proof of state of residence.

You clearly have no understanding of handgun purchasing laws. Being on active duty for 30 years and living and purchasing firearms, including handguns, in 4 states other than where my driver's license is from as well as my wife doing the same (and she can't use military orders like I can), I am well aware of how to legally do it - and also what it means it ILLEGALLY claim a state of residency for firearms only because that is where a driver's license is from without actually residing there.

You might also want to check the concealed carry laws of the state you actually do live in. In addition to all states requiring you to switch driver's licenses after a certain period of time living in that state - many states, such as the state I now reside in, Washington, also have laws that recognize out of state CCW permits only for persons who do not live there:
RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license—Reciprocity.
(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Sure, you can rightly claim that you are only exercising your 2nd Amendment rights - but that likely won't keep you out of jail. The case of Bruce Abramski comes to mind:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...aw-purchase-rules-in-abramski-v-united-states

Abramski bought the gun from a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL), completed the required paperwork, and successfully underwent a background check. Because his uncle lived in another state, Abramski could not lawfully transfer the firearm directly to him. He therefore gave the firearm to an FFL in his uncle’s state of residence, and the uncle then received the firearm through that FFL. This meant Abramski’s uncle completed his own transfer paperwork and went through his own successful background check. The government did not allege that either party was prohibited or had any intention of thwarting prohibited person laws.

Abramski went to jail for lying on the form 4473 because his uncle had given him the money to purchase the gun because Abramski could buy it cheaper due to a law enforcement discount. The same crime as writing in an address on the same form that is not your CURRENT residence.

It never ceases to amaze me when folks post something on the internet that amounts to a confession of committing a crime. A confession that, even if the posting is deleted, can still be accessed by law enforcement and will never ever go away.

Blueshell,

The state of residence for purchasing handguns is the state you live in, which may or may not be the same state you have a driver's license from. Question #2 on the form 4473 asks for your CURRENT residence address. When you put in a South Dakota address in that block because that is what is on your driver's license and you don't actually live there - that is falsifying the information on the form and a Federal felony.
That's just it, though: I don't "actually live" anywhere. There is no location where I consistently return to at the end of the day. I travel a lot for work and some of the places I stay have no adress at all because they're temporary lay-down yards zoned as cattle grazing fields, not residences.

Additionally, you cannot use temporary adresses on 4473, so even if I were staying at a hotel for a while and could prove it, I still can't use that adress because it's not, as you say, where I "actually live".

No such location exists.

But, hey, it's just too much trouble to change your driver's license, right?
No changing the drivers license is easy because you can use a temporary adress for it like a UPS store. I have been denied a handgun purchase in SD because the adress on my SD license is a UPS store adress.

In regards to purchasing a handgun in a state of residence your driver's license is not from - block 20b on the form 4473 allows for a second government issued document to be entered to prove state of residence such as a hunting or fishing license, tax statement, vehicle registration, etc that shows the CURRENT residence address on it. The driver's license serves as the identification document and the second government issued document serves as the proof of state of residence.
My car is registered to the same adress my license is. My taxes were filed using the same adress. I don't hunt or fish.

You clearly have no understanding of handgun purchasing laws.
OK Mr.KnowItAll, you tell me how to buy a handgun from an FFL without having a 'residence adress' due to frequent travel. I await your wisdom.

How's that foot taste?

Maybe next time think before you post?

Simple, you never stated until post #6 that you had NO residence address. You only stated that you no longer had one in South Dakota. In order to properly evaluate a situation, one must know all the facts, which you did not provide until backed against the wall. The fact of the matter is that you committed a felony by lying about your current residence address on the form 4473.

Unless you're active duty military I bet that the state you DO live in has laws that require you get that's states drivers license, register your vehicles in that state, transfer your vehicle insurance to a carrier recognized in the state you live in.....etc., etc.

Unless you're active duty military I bet that the state you DO live in has laws that require you get that's states drivers license, register your vehicles in that state, transfer your vehicle insurance to a carrier recognized in the state you live in.....etc., etc.
To my knowledge all states have such a time restriction. However, the clock starts upon becoming a resident of the state, and residency it typicaly defined as maintaining a residence within the state.

If you never maintain a residence, you never become a resident.

I lived & worked in Oklahoma for 8 months and never needed to transfer my license and registration. Likewise all company vehicles retain SD plates since the company's headquartered in SD, even though not a single one of the project sites is in SD.

Simple, you never stated until post #6 that you had NO residence address.
I stated it 10 months ago, and you were the first respondent in that thread: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...tf-requires-you-have-domicile.html?highlight=
30 years in the military and you never learned to pay attention to detail? You must have been active duty.

I am no longer a resident of SD, yet SD is the only state I can have a handgun transferred to me by an FFL unless and until I can establish residency in the state I currently live and work in.

I am not a resident of any other state, just SD, so all your talk of alternative documentation to prove residency in another state is completely irrelevant. You can only have a handgun transferred to you within your state or residency. I'm sorry you didn't know that. It's called the interstate handgun transfer ban and is currently under challenge by 2 separate federal cases.

When the day comes that I do establish residency in a new state, it will be with a UPS store address. UPS sells their physical address just as RV parks will let you use their office address (even though you don't "actually live" in the building at all, sometimes not even in line of site) for as long as you have a paid lot, and that address is ok to use on Form 4473 even if you aren't using that RV lot at the time you buy the handgun (as seasonal travelers do).

As you may or may not recall from the aforementioned thread, I don't hide anything from an FFL I buy from. One clerk at Cabella's halted the sale out of caution even-though 2 other clerks were ok with my address (one of which was a manager I was selling a gun to in the same transaction), so I went to Scheels and bought the same gun with the same address and hid nothing and walked out with the gun. Next time I change my state of residency, however, I'll get a passport card with the UPS store address. That clerk at Cabella's said she would go through with the transfer if I had a federal document with that address on it (she suggested I bring a copy of my orders, but my orders had a PO box on them lol).

Thanks for ruining what was supposed to be a fun rant thread.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back