Pa to NJ

mjcv29a

I live in Pa and have been licensed to carry in Pa for 25 years and 5 years in Georgia before that. My Mother just moved to NJ, What are the exact laws about carrying a firearm to NJ and then is it legal to keep it in my Mother's house if I don't take it outside?
Thanks

MJ

New Jersey does not honor PA concealed permit. So I will refer you to New Jersey | OpenCarry.org

Transporting to your mothers should not be an issue as long as there are no magazine restrictions and you follow the transporting laws through new jersey. I am not sure what they would be but I would follow PA'S transport laws being that those are pretty strict anyways.

Meaning, gun in a case in the trunk separate from the magazine and ammo separate from the magazine.

+1 This is not a legal opinion, which you should seek >> there are NRA/ 2nd Amendment friendly lawyers in PA, however the Federal laws for transport usually work unless you encounter an exuberant LEO professionally. Keep Magazines out of receivers and ammunition out of magazines and all three locked separately to be extra safe.

I work in NJ occasionally, and CCW in PA always. I have crossed into NJ with my firearm but I disassemble it, remove the firing pin, separate the ammo (HP) and magazines, and lock everything up separately. (I carry a 1911 Officers model and the firing pin is relatively easy to remove.) This may be overkill, but I REALLY DO NOT want a bad encounter in NJ.

BTW, I have heard only bad things about hollowpoint ammunition and LEO's in NJ. There is a round with the holow cavity filled with plastic that may circumvent that NJ rule but I have no personal knowledge of that round nor encounters with NJ LEO's including it.

Go to www.handgunlaw.us and click on the NJ link. Read the section on "All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey."

I'm not a lawyer, but believe you would be violating NJ law by taking your firearm to your mother's house unless you have a New
Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPIC).

KWC: thanks for that link. I shoot competitively and have restricted my trips out of state due to the NJ and NY 'rules' being somewhat vague.

I believe the federal rule for transport is something like: being legal to possess at both ends of your journey, making no unnecessary or prolonged stops, and transporting firearms and ammunition in separate locked compartments not accessible from the drivers seat. I think this is how out of state folks transport their firearms to compete in NJ and NY.

I have letters to the NYSP Commandant and the NJSP Commissioner to clarify the competition issue, but have not received replies [ x3 to NYS since the SAFE Act; and x1 to NJ ] to date.

The competition has to be NRA sanctioned. As far as transporting your firearm the McClure Volkmer act is only about transporting THROUGH a State not into a state to your Mother's house. The only way you could do that is if you have a receipt for an NRA sanctioned event. In that case you would have 48 hours on either side of the event dates to posses the gun. Double check on the total hours allowed to have the gun.
I believe on taking the safe course>>>>STAY OUT OF NEW JERSEY. Well I would not bring a gun into that state if I was staying there and not passing through.

KWC: thanks for that link. I shoot competitively and have restricted my trips out of state due to the NJ and NY 'rules' being somewhat vague.

I believe the federal rule for transport is something like: being legal to possess at both ends of your journey, making no unnecessary or prolonged stops, and transporting firearms and ammunition in separate locked compartments not accessible from the drivers seat. I think this is how out of state folks transport their firearms to compete in NJ and NY.

I have letters to the NYSP Commandant and the NJSP Commissioner to clarify the competition issue, but have not received replies [ x3 to NYS since the SAFE Act; and x1 to NJ ] to date.
Check NYS Penal Law S265.20 for the rules on carrying into NY for competition.
§265.20 : NY Code - Exemptions (to Criminal Possession of a Weapon Charges)
13-a. Except in cities not wholly contained within a single county of the state, possession of pistols and revolvers by a person who is a nonresident of this state while attending or traveling to or from, an organized convention or exhibition for the display of or education about firearms, which is conducted under auspices of, or approved by, the National Rifle Association and in which he is a registered participant, within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that he has not been previously convicted of a felony or a crime which, if committed in New York, would constitute a felony, and further provided that the pistols or revolvers are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card. Such documentation shall constitute prima facie evidence of exemption, providing that such person also has in his possession a pistol license or firearms registration card issued in accordance with the laws of his place of residence. For purposes of this paragraph, a person licensed in a jurisdiction which does not authorize such license by a person who has been previously convicted of a felony shall be presumed to have no prior conviction. The superintendent of state police shall annually review the laws of jurisdictions within the United States and Canada with respect to the applicable requirements for licensing or registration of firearms and shall publish a list of those jurisdictions which prohibit possession of a firearm by a person previously convicted of a felony or crimes which if committed in New York state would constitute a felony. - See more at: N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.20 : NY Code - Section 265.20: Exemptions

Unless you are moving in with your Mother you have no legal way of getting your gun from PA to her house in NJ.

I live in Pa and have been licensed to carry in Pa for 25 years and 5 years in Georgia before that. My Mother just moved to NJ, What are the exact laws about carrying a firearm to NJ and then is it legal to keep it in my Mother's house if I don't take it outside?
Thanks

MJ
short answers are no and no

By the way, New Jersey magazine restriction is a max of 10.
Link Removed

that is incorrect, while a bill to limit mag capacity passed in the assembly I do not think that the senate has passed it and then gov crispy creme has to sign it

+1 for all the posters who have stated to keep your gun in PA. The law DOES NOT ALLOW for staying in NJ just going through and even then I would not trust NJ LEOs.

NJ is still 15 - This has not been passed as a law yet, it is still a bill and has a good chance of being shot down by the gov. (at least he will if he wants any chance at a presidential bid)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back