PA, conceled carry & alcohol

BMW RIDER

i will be attending an outdoor event this coming July in Bloomsburg PA. i have a non-resident permit from Utah, which the state of PA honors. at this event will be a tent dedicated to alcohol, AKA a beer tent. i have attended several of these events in the past and the beer tent is always either next to the stage where the live music is or you have to pass through the beer tent to get to the area to watch the live music. if i am not drinking alcohol is it legal for me to sit in the beer tent and talk to friends prior to continuing on to the music area? what if i have one beer and then go watch the bands play? since i am coming from out of state the last thing i want is to get in any trouble with the authorities while i am at this event.

Looked, but couldn't find much documentation to help you

i will be attending an outdoor event this coming July in Bloomsburg PA. i have a non-resident permit from Utah, which the state of PA honors. at this event will be a tent dedicated to alcohol, AKA a beer tent. i have attended several of these events in the past and the beer tent is always either next to the stage where the live music is or you have to pass through the beer tent to get to the area to watch the live music. if i am not drinking alcohol is it legal for me to sit in the beer tent and talk to friends prior to continuing on to the music area? what if i have one beer and then go watch the bands play? since i am coming from out of state the last thing i want is to get in any trouble with the authorities while i am at this event.

Sorry, I looked and couldn't find much information on the limitations of CCW in PA.

I looked here: Link Removed

and here:
Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

I personally wouldn't imbibe while carrying--whether it is written in the laws or not. A whiff of alcohol on your breath while talking to a LEO isn't the best way to present yourself....

In Michigan you are not supposed to take your firearm into a place that earns the majority of its income from the sale of alcohol. The assumption is that you go to a bar to drink, but you might go to an Applebee's or TGIFridays to just eat.

These are all pretty common-sense restrictions.

Perhaps contact the sheriff's office in the city of the event for clarification. Make note of who you talked to, and what they said to you.

I hope someone from PA weighs in to give you more help. ....

In PA there are no restrictions anywhere in the statutes regarding alcohol, bars, and firearms. You can be around alcohol, you can be in possession of alcohol, you can be drinking alcohol, and not violate any laws.

of course you could always encounter someone whose mission is to tell you what you can and can't do.

The only concern you might run into is that of restrictions put in place by private property owners.

As far as legal issues while in PA, there is always the chance of a negative encounter with a LEO, even while sober. Many people in PA have worked very hard to keep this from happening, but there are no guarantees.

If you can conceal effectively, have a good time, because you will be legal.

Welcome to Pennsylvania, use your best judgment! :biggrin:

Edited to add... Outside of the alcohol issue, the only thing you will want to watch for with your Utah permit is the Federal 1000' Gun Free School Zone. A PA License To carry Firearms (LTCF) is required to be within 1000' of any K-12 school. This is a federal restriction. I can post more on this if you need it.

thanks for the info guys. i have no intention of drinking while i attend this event, but there is the outside chance i might have 1/2 a beer (i'm not much of a drinker) with an old friend. my little Ruger LCP will be well concealed and i do not plan on being near a school. seems i should be ok, but i will research this a bit more just to be on the safe side.

Outside of the alcohol issue, the only thing you will want to watch for with your Utah permit is the Federal 1000' Gun Free School Zone. A PA License To carry Firearms (LTCF) is required to be within 1000' of any K-12 school. This is a federal restriction. I can post more on this if you need it.

there is the possibility that the registration building for this event will be a local HS, although since this event will be held in July the school will be closed. i guess when i register i will need to leave my gun locked in my travel safe in my motel room. the event itself will be at the fairgrounds outside of Bloomsburg. does anyone know if the fairgrounds have any restrictions on the carrying of firearms on there property?

there is the possibility that the registration building for this event will be a local HS, although since this event will be held in July the school will be closed. i guess when i register i will need to leave my gun locked in my travel safe in my motel room. the event itself will be at the fairgrounds outside of Bloomsburg. does anyone know if the fairgrounds have any restrictions on the carrying of firearms on there property?

To be safe, you'll want to keep the firearm OFF school property and out of school buildings. There is no exclusion that considers whether or not school is in session, it's still "off limits".

I looked around a bit and could find no definite answer about the fairgrounds. If the property is owned by a municipality, said municipality is restrained from making laws or ordinances respecting firearms, other than discharge, and that is by PA statute. If the property is privately owned then the owner is within his rights to prohibit. You could simply carry and keep an eye out for signs. The worst they could do is ask you to leave or secure it in your vehicle. Up to you whether this is worth it.

I hope any of this helps

County property is off limits in Pennsylvania. I don't know if the fairgrounds in question are owned by the county or not; but I'd bet that they are.

County property is off limits in Pennsylvania. I don't know if the fairgrounds in question are owned by the county or not; but I'd bet that they are.

County property is definitely not off limits in PA...where do you get that from? Preemption prevents that.

County property is definitely not off limits in PA...where do you get that from? Preemption prevents that.

The Butler County Sheriffs deputy who handed me my Permit said County property and Federal property was off limits. I wasn't gonna argue.

I was told by a police instructor at the academy that you are not allowed to carry on the grounds because it's "county property". Could you get arrested? Probably or at least gun confiscated. Would the charges ultimately get dismissed? Probably.

I was told by a police instructor at the academy that you are not allowed to carry on the grounds because it's "county property". Could you get arrested? Probably or at least gun confiscated. Would the charges ultimately get dismissed? Probably.

Makes no sense. Counties can not prohibit carry on county property. Preemption prevents them from being able to do that. Police instructor needs correcting.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back