+P Ammo

Snakebite

A quick question for the masses. I carry a Bersa U/C 9mm pro daily and I am wondering if it will digest +P ammo with no problem.

It depends Snakebite. Is the gun rated for +p ammo? The owners manual will tell you no +p if not. Also I would check the manufacturers website for info on that. As far as reliability with any given type of +p ammo, well you'll need to try them out.

It makes no sense to me why anyone would need +p in a 9mm. Plus P in a 38 spl makes sense. I use a 357 Mag.

Bersa 9mm

You can fire 9mm+p in your Bersa, however they indicate that doing so will accelerate wear. In other words, thats their way of not recommending its use in their firearms. In my opinion, +P in 9mm won't help much. What you need is the best quality 115gr JHP ammunition you can afford.:pleasantry:

It's in mine...

My EDC is a Bersa T.45 UC....

I carry PP's in it for the fact that the 3.6" barrel length is short enough to make it very concealable, but the shorter barrel will cause some loss of velocity using standard loads...the Plus P, will add some punch, making it close to what standard loads out of a 5" barrel would deliver.

I have only 'test fired' a few PP rounds...to make sure that it functions as it should. The higher pressure loads do cause a little snappier recoil, and shooting a lot of them could likely do some damage over time...

The Bersa UC is quite capable of firing PP's otherwise. I just wouldn't recommend them for 'practice'...

FC

That's why, that makes sense. Using my Browning Hi Power a 9mm had way more penetration than a 38 SPL while shooting at a car body. It would shot thru both doors a 38 would sometimes bounce off or go thru one only.

When I switched to +P's (same rounds as the NH State Police use as duty rounds) in my 1911 I installed a heavier recoil so my frame wouldn't get beat up. This heavier spring did not effect the reliable cycling, fired 200 rounds just to make sure. This spring will be changed every 5000 rounds as they do wear out over time, meaning in number of rounds fired.

My EDC is a Bersa T.45 UC....

I carry PP's in it for the fact that the 3.6" barrel length is short enough to make it very concealable, but the shorter barrel will cause some loss of velocity using standard loads...the Plus P, will add some punch, making it close to what standard loads out of a 5" barrel would deliver.

FC

I think if you had tested it by shooting some round over a chronograph, you would have discovered that the velocity gained was marginal at best. Simply going to a +P round will NOT substitute for an 1 1/2 inch loss in barrel length.

Depending on the powder used, that 1 1/2 inches could mean a loss of anywhere from 100 to 300fps in velocity. Considering that standard pressure .45ACP usually runs in the neighborhood of 850 (230gr) to 1200fps (165gr) from a 5 inch barrel, that loss in velocity means that your round may not be going fast enough to expand reliably. I feel that it would be wise to test it further and possibly go to a lighter bullet weight.

Duely Noted...

I think if you had tested it by shooting some round over a chronograph, you would have discovered that the velocity gained was marginal at best. Simply going to a +P round will NOT substitute for an 1 1/2 inch loss in barrel length.

Depending on the powder used, that 1 1/2 inches could mean a loss of anywhere from 100 to 300fps in velocity. Considering that standard pressure .45ACP usually runs in the neighborhood of 850 (230gr) to 1200fps (165gr) from a 5 inch barrel, that loss in velocity means that your round may not be going fast enough to expand reliably. I feel that it would be wise to test it further and possibly go to a lighter bullet weight.

The +P JHP's that I carry in it are indeed 165gr... I totally agree in principal with what you have stated... But have no real ability to chrono them...

I'm also very cautious about the sort of ammo I use for SD carry.... Even though, if the pistol is fired in such circumstance, it would likely be from very close range, so 'missing' my intended target isn't real likely, but I don't want through and throughs if at all possible. I want the round to stop in the 'target', doing as much damage and shock as possible. Two or three in center mass area should about do the trick....

Stay vigilant, and be safe...

FLc

If you know any die hard reloaders, check with them. Most folks that get into serious reloading end up getting a chronograph. One brief trip to the range with a chronograph would be a real eye opening experience. All the numbers you see on the side of the box are produced using test barrels and they don't reflect what happens in real life using real guns. The only way you can really know how fast a load is going out of your gun is to shoot it yourself and measure it.

That 165gr bullet is as light as you can get for a .45 without getting really creative like going to a hollow based bullet and creative equals custom and expensive in this case. A lead .452 round ball only weighs about 120gr. The 165gr is basically a round ball with one end squared off. The only way you are gonna get a factory round loaded with a lighter bullet (and I strongly suggest sticking with factory ammo for self defense uses) is by going to a smaller caliber.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back