Owning modern day assault weapons

I will concede that my terminology, "class 3 FFL" is in fact not technically correct, although the term is commonly used in the firearms community, including LEOs to refer to an FFL licensee who has paid the Class 3 SOT and is qualified to deal in NFA weapons. And this is a tax paid by the dealer, not the buyer So step #4 of my list should say "Take your BATF approved permit to an FFL who has paid the Class 3 Special Occupational Tax and choose a pre '86 full auto weapon."

My real point was that one does NOT have to get any kind of FFL to purchase and possess a pre '86 full auto weapon. The purchaser only has to be cleared and approved by the BATF, and pay the $200 tax. Yes, it is $200 for each weapon, and unless you lose your tax stamp, that $200 is a one-time charge. And yes, that procedure only applies to pre '86 weapons, but I made that clear in my original post.

And you are of course correct that "modern" as in manufactured after 1986 full auto weapons are essentially unavailable to the general public.

Is there anybody that knows a way for a civilian to be legally able to own modern day assault weapons. I am never going to be able to pass the physical tests for the military or police academy is there any other way to get those types of weapons. I know about being able to buy the class three weapons but i hear u could only buy guns form certain years so if anyone can clarify that or has an answer please message me thanks
One way to do it LEGALLY. Get a FFL then a SOT. Then you can own all the brand new mg's you want. If you do NOT have a FFL/SOT then you can only own pre 86 like the rest of us do. Due to supply and demand price goes up every year. A brand new m16 will run you a grand if your a FFL/SOT not a FFL/SOT them your going to be paying 10 to 20 grand for a old one.

The 2nd Amendment says you can keep and bear arms. No restrictions are implied, reasonable or otherwise.
While I agree 100 percent with your assertion the current LAW says otherwise. In the end we are a nation of laws either you obey them and live free OR you do not and become a criminal. Being civilized we obey the current law until it changes. On the 2nd I agree. EVERY American has the right to keep and bear arms without the gov being involved in any way shape or form.

Strangely enough, the great majority of rifles and carbines issued to our troops are not fully automatic. That being said, anyone who can pass ATF's background check, pay the $200 fee, and doesn't mind waiting 7-8 months while filling out paperwork and getting the proper signatures, can take possession of a full-auto firearm.....assuming it's legal where he/she lives. Ditto for supressors, short shotguns (i.e. AOWs), and short-barreled rifles (SBRs). They all more-or-less require the same amount of effort to acquire although the full-auto stuff is usually prohibitively expensive. The dealer I work the gun shows for sells all of these things and 5 or 6 times a year someone takes the plunge. Most recently it was a KRISS Vector SBR as seen in the remake of "Total Recall".

Strangely enough, the great majority of rifles and carbines issued to our troops are not fully automatic. That being said, anyone who can pass ATF's background check, pay the $200 fee, and doesn't mind waiting 7-8 months while filling out paperwork and getting the proper signatures, can take possession of a full-auto firearm.....assuming it's legal where he/she lives. Ditto for supressors, short shotguns (i.e. AOWs), and short-barreled rifles (SBRs). They all more-or-less require the same amount of effort to acquire although the full-auto stuff is usually prohibitively expensive. The dealer I work the gun shows for sells all of these things and 5 or 6 times a year someone takes the plunge. Most recently it was a KRISS Vector SBR as seen in the remake of "Total Recall".

In theory, yes. But since the number of available full auto guns has been conveniently limited to a very small and very pricey pool of guns this is not a feasible option for most normal people. Very few of us can shell out 10K on a full auto gun that would cost less than 1K in semi auto. Might that have been done on purpose?

In theory, yes. But since the number of available full auto guns has been conveniently limited to a very small and very pricey pool of guns this is not a feasible option for most normal people. Very few of us can shell out 10K on a full auto gun that would cost less than 1K in semi auto. Might that have been done on purpose?

I agree, as evidenced by my use of the phrase "prohibitively expensive" with regards to most full-auto firearms.

A few errors. 1) There is no fee it is a TAX. Thus the TAX stamp affixed to all approved forms. 2) What signatures are required nobody signs mine but me the seller and the person who approves it at the ATF.. 3) You can ONLY own a pre 1986 mg. 4) A short shotgun is a SBS ( Short Barreled Shotgun) NOT a AOW. A shotgun with a barrel of under 18 inches. 5) A AOW is ( Any Other Weapon) items that do not fall under suppressor. SBS,SBR or mg. AOW's are a 5 dollar TAX stamp NOT 200. ( unless you make your own then it is 200) 6) All these NFA ( national firearms act) items take the SAME paperwork and time. You can BUY these already made on a form 4. OR with the exception of a MG you can make your own with a form 1.

OK, I can split hairs too.....

A few errors. 1) There is no fee it is a TAX. Thus the TAX stamp affixed to all approved forms.

Really?? I mean......really?? It's a payment....money all the same. A $200 TAX costs the same as a $200 FEE. Do you feel like an expert now??

2) What signatures are required nobody signs mine but me the seller and the person who approves it at the ATF.

You need to check your local and state laws. Numerous counties here in Florida (and other states) require the local police chief or county sheriff to sign-off on the paperwork. I guess that's not an "error" on my part when I speak of required signatures.

3) You can ONLY own a pre 1986 mg.

OK?? And....??? Where did I say anything to the contrary??

4) A short shotgun is a SBS ( Short Barreled Shotgun) NOT a AOW. A shotgun with a barrel of under 18 inches.

"In the US, shotguns originally manufactured without shoulder stocks, having their barrels shortened to under 18 inches, are classified as an "Link Removed" by the BATFE "

Some shotguns are AOWs, although not all. I should have clarified.

5) A AOW is ( Any Other Weapon) items that do not fall under suppressor. SBS,SBR or mg. AOW's are a 5 dollar TAX stamp NOT 200. ( unless you make your own then it is 200)

See above.

6) All these NFA ( national firearms act) items take the SAME paperwork and time. You can BUY these already made on a form 4. OR with the exception of a MG you can make your own with a form 1.

Like I said in the post that you quoted....." They all more-or-less require the same amount of effort to acquire...."

Don't be so quick to jump all over someone else's post. You may look silly in the end....

1) It is a TAX says so right on all my stamps. It does not say fee anywhere. 2) Again if you knew what you where talking about most of us NFA stamp collectors have a TRUST for many reasons from transfer when we go to use by other or to avoid CLOE sign off. FYI the CLEO sign off is FEDERAL not state! With a TRUST you do not need fingerprint cards, CLEO sign off or a picture! 3) You did not giving the impression you can buy a new one. 4) A short barrel shotgun is a SBS! A AOW is a whole different animal. Write SBS on a form 4 for a AOW see how far you get. 5) My definition stands a AOW and SBS are NOT interchangeable. 6) They all require the SAME paperwork. Unless your counting what you write on them! "In the US, shotguns originally manufactured without shoulder stocks, having their barrels shortened to under 18 inches, are classified as an "Any Other Weapon" by the BATFE " That is correct a shotgun "manufactured" without a shoulder stock and a barrel less then 18 inches is a AOW. A shotgun WITH a stock and less then 18 inch barrel IS NOT A AOW! It is a SBS.. You can nit pick all you want the facts is the facts. I have done more transfers then I can count. When it comes to 4's and 1's there is no errors allowed. You either put the CORRECT tern in the box or it gets sent back. There is no close or almost. You do it right or it gets sent back. NFA terms are NOT interchangeable. You may not use one word for another. The ATF wants it done right with all the t's crossed and I's dotted.

S&W 645,
Why did you even highlight what Otis put to out there?
What I have found with Otis, he is like listening to my sisters young children.... They really have a lot to say but it is neither important or worthwhile..... Mostly just jibberish. You just smile politely and nod your head thinking it will be nice when they grow up someday....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back