Over-the Road

deedoyle

I keep hearing differing "opinions"....
I have a family member who will soon be Truckin"....
Can she legally carry while in her rig as long as she has her Weapons Licence and adheres to the laws of each state she passes through....?

Yes she can, but it's also up to the company she drives for. I drive for a company that it is against their policy to carry a firearm in the trk even if you are an owner or leasing

^^^ Yep, what he said. This question comes up from time to time. There is no Federal restriction on commercial drivers carrying - as will all of us, if you have a permit that's recognized by any state you travel through, you're good legally. Employer-wise, that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Even if it is against employer rules, it wouldnt be against the "law", it would just be breaking the employers "rules".

Yes she can, but it's also up to the company she drives for. I drive for a company that it is against their policy to carry a firearm in the trk even if you are an owner or leasing

Thanks for the information. That is what I keep coming up with....

Thanks to everyone who replied...... the consensus is as long as you adhere to the laws of the state in which you are in.... you are legal to carry....(provided you have a weapons license) in any reciprocal state...

One other concern would be where she goes & what she hauls. It is against the law to carry on "federal" installations like military bases and nuclear power facilities. Places like Lockheed martin who work on federal & military contracts may also restrict the use of carry on their properties. If caught you could be committing a federal offense.

However, if you have a good company that will allow carry, you can have them seek out exceptions & permissions. If these facilities know before hand that a driver will be armed, arrangements can usually be made. Some places will allow a firearm to be checked in with security. Some places will give permission as long as the driver can pass a security check and the gun remains unloaded & secure in the truck.

The company I used to own served a number of federal contractors & delivered items that actually required drivers to pass background checks and be armed when shipping their materials. Whenever we reached the base or military facility, a driver checked in and an armed guard road with him and made his stay inside the truck the whole time we were on premise.

BUT!!!!
You may also find facilities where guns just aren't allowed. This will mean she will not be able to pick up or deliver to them. Regardless, she needs to do her homework and let her company know that she intends to be legally armed whenever possible.

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back