Out of State questions

MrSmoofy

I am a resident of Florida and have my Florida CCW permit but it is not recognized here.

My questions are it appears I should probably get a UT permit while I'm here in MN for 6 months since it's recongized in MN and is cheaper.

I have already taken a NRA First Steps class which is what was required for Florida. Do I need to take a new class for UT or MN?

What are the rules for PURCHASING in MN? Are only MN residents allowed to purchase or could I purchase with a UT or MN permit?

I've seen classes from $50 to $175 can anyone recommend one in the Plymouth, MN area?

Thanks

Unless you have an FFL you can only purchase firearms in your state of residence.

I took a class from a guy from FEAR. Click here for details

Duane was professional and I thought he did a good job. Class was $100.

Since you are not a resident of MN you can get your permit from any county sheriff. Once you complete your training I recommend driving over to Washington county. I had my permit in hand 12 days after I paid the $75 application fee.

Steve

new to the concealed carrying permit world so the info i got from FL is 2 weeks old. The laws and rule are different from every state so I'd looke them up just prior to going to that state. But some of the examples are different states give permits at different ages were as FL is 21 so they don't allow anyone from a state that is younger then 21 to carry in FL until they are 21. That is just an example the sheet of paper I got was full of examples like that. FL gives you a concealed Weapon permit that includes several types of weapons where some states only give pistol permits so once again I'd look up what that state allows you to carry so you don't end up in trouble for a simple misunderstanding. My recommendation is to look up the actuall law online not just call the local police dept since the person you talk to might not know what they are talking about. Personnal opinions and hard fact laws are different and might mean the difference between a pissy cop and 3 years in jail.

i am a MN resident going to college in South Dakota. does aMN Permit to conceal valid here?

SD honors ALL licenses from other states:

Statute SC 23-7-7.4

23-7-7.4. Nonresident permit to carry concealed pistol--Validity in South Dakota--Application. Any valid permit to carry a concealed pistol, issued to a nonresident of South Dakota, is valid in South Dakota according to the terms of its issuance in the state of its issue, but only to the extent that the terms of issuance comply with any appropriate South Dakota statute or promulgated rule. However, if the holder of such a nonresident permit to carry a concealed pistol becomes, at any time, a legal resident of South Dakota, the provisions of this section no longer apply.

I am a resident of Florida and have my Florida CCW permit but it is not recognized here.

My questions are it appears I should probably get a UT permit while I'm here in MN for 6 months since it's recongized in MN and is cheaper.

I have already taken a NRA First Steps class which is what was required for Florida. Do I need to take a new class for UT or MN?

What are the rules for PURCHASING in MN? Are only MN residents allowed to purchase or could I purchase with a UT or MN permit?

I've seen classes from $50 to $175 can anyone recommend one in the Plymouth, MN area?

Thanks

The UT permit is the way to go for you since you are not a resident of Minnesota. UT, like your FL permit, is good in 28 states for non-residents. And you can carry in Minnesota with the UT. The best part comes in 5-years when you renew since it is only $10, and a new photo of yourself (no "renewal" class required).

The MN permit would give you as a non-resident of MN, absolutely no upside. You can't use it to purchase a handgun or military style rifle, and you would not be able to use it to carry in Michigan (like you can with your resident Florida permit - Michigan requires a resident permit from your home state).

The UT is cheaper at the front end ($65.25 to apply to UT compared to up to $100 for the MN permit), it is cheaper to renew and you can carry in more states with it, including Minnesota. It does require fingerprinting and a passport quality photo and an IN PERSON 4-hour course. But it does not require a live fire range session.

We offer the UT permit course for $75 or $65 if you prepay. You can find our schedule online at:
Firearms,MN,Minnesota Carry classes and Utah Concealed Carry Classes,Minnesota, Utah, Florida,Carry Permit Renewal Training for Minnesota and Utah,Contemporary and Historical Reference - firearms,guns,firearms training,handguns,firearm studies,firear

GS

LOL Thanks Gary, I actually took your class and got my UT Permit while I was in MN shortly after my original post. So anyone else that needs a UT/MN/TN class I recommend you go take Gary's class.

I have my FL, UT, and TN permits now.

The UT permit is the way to go for you since you are not a resident of Minnesota. UT, like your FL permit, is good in 28 states for non-residents. And you can carry in Minnesota with the UT. The best part comes in 5-years when you renew since it is only $10, and a new photo of yourself (no "renewal" class required).

The MN permit would give you as a non-resident of MN, absolutely no upside. You can't use it to purchase a handgun or military style rifle, and you would not be able to use it to carry in Michigan (like you can with your resident Florida permit - Michigan requires a resident permit from your home state).

The UT is cheaper at the front end ($65.25 to apply to UT compared to up to $100 for the MN permit), it is cheaper to renew and you can carry in more states with it, including Minnesota. It does require fingerprinting and a passport quality photo and an IN PERSON 4-hour course. But it does not require a live fire range session.

We offer the UT permit course for $75 or $65 if you prepay. You can find our schedule online at:
Firearms,MN,Minnesota Carry classes and Utah Concealed Carry Classes,Minnesota, Utah, Florida,Carry Permit Renewal Training for Minnesota and Utah,Contemporary and Historical Reference - firearms,guns,firearms training,handguns,firearm studies,firear

GS

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back