Organic Farming is in Jeopardy

Shooter Mike

This was forwarded to me through my wife's subscription to urbanhomemaker.com. I believe this is a subject that most of us take very seriously, and we need to make a grassroots effort to stop this from becoming legislation at the hands of commercial farming lobby.
----------------
Subject: Organic Farming is in Jeopardy?

Dear Readers,

I normally do not use my forum for political purposes. Information I have received on some legislation concerns me enough to pass on what I know. I ask you to do your own research, however to help me sort out fact from fiction.

Correspondence I have received regarding HR 873 and S425 has the potential power to eliminate organic farming and home grown food as legal activities.

The main backer and lobbyist is Monsanto - chemical and genetic engineering giant corporation (and Cargill, ADM, and about 35 other related agri-giants). This bill will require organic farms to use specific fertilizers an dtoxic insect sprays dictated by a newly formed agency to "make sure there is no danger to the public food supply". This will include backyard gardens that grow food only for a family and not for sales.

Here is the link to a summary HR 875 for you to read for yourself: Link Removed

Because of the current wording of the Bill one website I found (Campaign For Liberty — HR 875 The food police, criminalizing organic farming and the backyard gardener, and violation of the 10th amendment) listed the following possible redflags:

Legally binds state agriculture depts to enforcing federal guidelines effectively taking away the states power to do anything other than being food police for the federal dept.
Effectively criminalizes organic farming but doesn't actually use the word organic.
Affects anyone growing food even if they are not selling it but consuming it.
Affects anyone producing meat of any kind including the processing wild game for personal consumption.
Legislation is so broad based that every aspect of growing or producing food can be made illegal. There are no specifics which is bizarre considering how long the legislation is.
Section 103 is almost entirely about the administrative aspect of the legislation. It will allow the appointing of officials from the factory farming corporations and lobbyists and classify them as experts and allow them to determine and interpret the legislation. Who do you think they are going to side with?
Section 206 defines what will be considered a food production facility and what will be enforced up all food production facilities. The wording is so broad based that a backyard gardener could be fined and more.
Section 207 requires that the state's agriculture dept act as the food police and enforce the federal requirements. This takes away the states power and is in violation of the 10th amendment.
There are many more but by the time I got this far in the legislation I was so alarmed that I wanted to bring someone's attention to it. (to the one person who reads my blog)
Since the bill is currently in committee we have an opportunity to contact our Representatives and Senators to encourage them to read the bill and voice your opposition. This bill is designed to promote factory farming operations like Monsanto, ADM, Sodexo and Tyson to name a few.

One reader said: "It will literally put all independent farmers and food producers out of business due to the huge amounts of money it will take to conform to factory farming methods."

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, READ THIS LEGISLATION FOR YOURSELF.

Pay special attention to

Section 3 which is the definitions portion of the bill-read in it's entirety.
section 103, 206 and 207- read in it's entirety.
My belief is that government control over the food supply is not in the interest of families, freedom, or our nation's health. I am told Stalin used the food supply to gain control over the population.

Here is what you can do, after you do your own research:

Contact your congress members at 202-224-3121 and ask them to oppose HR 875 and S 425. Ask them if they have read the legislation and what their position is?
Get in touch with local farmers and food producers by attending a local farmers market and asking them how business is.
Attend a local WAPF meeting, this is a good start to learning about what is going on in farming and local & state initiatives . The website is http://www.westonaprice.org/localchapters/index.html
Check out the Farmers Legal Defense Fund at Link Removed
Get active at the local and state levels, this is the quickest way to initiate change.
Keep me updated on developments, as I know the information in this email could easily be out of date before you even receive this correspondence.

Marilyn Moll

The Urban Homemaker - Urban Homemaker
Edit/Delete Message

I you want to control a population...

control the food supplies. Hunger is a powerful motivator! Look at Somalia as an example of this. The warlords control the population by controlling the food. By doing this they can enslave the people to their whims and recruit the stronger ones to their "armies". It is a sad state of affairs.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back