Ordering ammunition question

Foxhound

Ant there in Sc regulations about ordering ammunition thru the mail/ups in SC ?

I'm taking a guess at this but I'm pretty sure you can't get ammo thru the U.S. mail. On the other hand, UPS ships all the time. I get most of my ammo online and it comes UPS.

Ant there in Sc regulations about ordering ammunition thru the mail/ups in SC ?

There are no South Carolina restrictions. Federal law prohibits ammunition from being sent through US Mail. Almost all ammo gets shipped UPS ground because FEDEX requires HAZMAT certification and UPS does not.

There are no restritions in SC about Ordering Small Arms Ammunition.
Most places will require you to show identication/proof of age when ordering.

As to shipping, UPS is the only way to go.
I wonder how much business FEDEX lost when they started requiring the HAZMAT fee.

Surplus AmmoHome

This is where I go but I drive there. They also ship. I picked up 9mm for 16.5 cents each on the first box of 1000 I got there and 18.5 a few weeks ago. Yup, its still $185 for the case of 1000.

You can order brass and bullets through the mail. I will admit that our mail lady does not like the 2000 Precision Delta bullets in the one price box. UPS has worked fine for all other ammo.

There are no restritions in SC about Ordering Small Arms Ammunition.
Most places will require you to show identication/proof of age when ordering.

As to shipping, UPS is the only way to go.
I wonder how much business FEDEX lost when they started requiring the HAZMAT fee.

Interesting.

Scottsdaleammo.com just sent me 500 rounds of HPR 9mm TMJ through FedEx Ground. Just delivered it yesterday (Saturday).

I think a lot of it has to do with the local FEDEX and vendor and how/if they declare HAZMAT or ORM-D.

I used to get a choice between FEDEX or UPS. Don't know what changed, maybe FEDEX now interprets ammunition like the USPS as an explosive HAZMAT...

Feels like they no longer want my business.

FEDEX also requires overnight priority on Firearms shipments instead of next day, which really makes them expensive.

ADDED - doesn't mean FEDEX doesn't ship ammo, just means they can be more expensive than UPS.

Last edited:
Hey Fox: In addition to all of the above, try Georgia Arms. New and remanufactured ammo--very good prices and choice on calibre and quantity. In addition they are always at the gun shows in SC and you can preorder and pick up the ammo at the show. You avoid shipping charges but must pay tax. Going to show this sunday in Charleston area and will be picking up some.

I beleive you CAN ship by USPS although may have to pay hazmat charges. I could be wrong though because I only ship ammo through UPS, there are no hazmat charges (unless you are buying powder) and because ammo is heavy, the shipping costs much less than USPS. I do not think Fed Ex will accept ammo at all.

For what it's worth, usually the shipping costs will kill the savings you get from buying ammo online since it's so heavy. This is unless you buy in bulk or are buying something rare. I did an informal poll on my facebook page asking how much ammo someone would buy online, and it seems 1,000 is about what most people would be comfortable buying bulk.

Cheapest on a regular basis is still Walmart. Hey Chicago: It stil comes down to dollars or cents per cartridge. Some vendors have good sales and if you purchase say 1000-2000 rounds, which you can probably share with someone, cents per cartridge, with shipping costs moderated by so many cartridges, you can out distance Walmart.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back