Opinions please

I think the 45 GAP is a solution trying to find a problem to solve. And having trouble finding it.

I use a Fobus, and also have a Galco. But I prefer the Fobus because it rides a little higher on my hip.:no:

I have been cking into the glock gaps.
The last word I got from cabela's yesterday is glock maybe will stop making the gaps. Because the sales for them are way way down. And some of the le agencies are dropping them also. However other companies make gaps also. :confused:

Well thank you all....I appreciate all the great opinions from everyone, in fact I have been some diggin concerning the ammo as well since posting this and what I found is that trying to get a straight answer on this topic is about as hard as ever. Some have said that it will never disappear and others think it will. Sooo, I feel it would be best to just go with the .45 auto and play it safe. Thanks gang.

Never said they will stop making it but there will be a day in your life time that it will be very difficult to find and pricey when you do...

I love mine. Issued a G37 and a G39, have a G38 for home. Soft shooting, accurate as hell and hits hard. What's not to like....oh, yeah it's not 1/10th of an inch longer than it needs to be or was deisigned 105 years ago.

Oh Yeah, and you can't find ammo for it any more. Oh yeah, and there's 45ACP in gun stores and gun cabinets in every country in the world. Oh yeah.

I carry the Glock 37 .45 G.A.P. for duty (driver/guard armored trucking). I have no trouble finding ammo for it and do not think I ever will. The .45 gap is an odd caliber and so far I've been able to get it when I wanted it. One place I've found it at wanted $26 for 50 rnds and another place wanted $40 for 50 rnds. I must admit that I now regret getting the 37 but only because it never caught on the way Glock was hoping. If the crud hits the fan one day in this country it's not like you are going to be able to find .45 gap ammo laying around like you would .45 acp. Then again if odrama has his way there won't be any ammo laying around anyway. Good news is about 63 democrats sent a letter to eric holder telling him they WILL NOT support any new emergence of the so called assault weapons ban. Me thinks they may remember '96!

Oh Yeah, and you can't find ammo for it any more. Oh yeah, and there's 45ACP in gun stores and gun cabinets in every country in the world. Oh yeah.

I have 2K rounds in my case and around here you CANNOT find ACP ammo (or 9mm) but you can get GAP. The reason I made that point is that most people I run into don't like it because it isn't an ACP, it was never intended to be. What it is is a modern round that can replicate ACP performance in a smaller envelope. Then again maybe I'm not as cultured as some.

:to_pick_ones_nose3:

I have 2K rounds in my case and around here you CANNOT find ACP ammo (or 9mm) but you can get GAP. The reason I made that point is that most people I run into don't like it because it isn't an ACP, it was never intended to be. What it is is a modern round that can replicate ACP performance in a smaller envelope. Then again maybe I'm not as cultured as some.:to_pick_ones_nose3:

Opinions like IQs vary and it is just a personal choice. The GAP round is rare despite the odd collection or availability. I like the .45ACP and the 9mm because they are readily available and re-loadable the world over. The US Military choose the 9mm (foolishness if you ask me) and Beretta M9 as their sidearm of choice. Most special forces if given the choice will opt for a 1911 in .45ACP. Not .40 or GAP.

The .40 has made some inroads due mostly to LEO use. Personally, I would not choose a new or unusual cartridge unless it had some definite advantages to the .45ACP or was easier to come by. It has neither to it's credit and thus is considered a novelty by most.

I'm am sure it is a fine round and you will be very happy with it's performance. Good luck with it.

If you want a 45 and have a small hand, the GAP makes sense. If you like a 45 and have a hand like a gorilla, then a double-stack 45 ACP makes sense.
Most of use like the grip size, trigger reach, power and ammo availability of the ACP.

But the GAP's ammo availability is the only real issue because of cost and with the present ammo shortages and production demands, it will be hard to find.

I have 2K rounds in my case and around here you CANNOT find ACP ammo (or 9mm) but you can get GAP. The reason I made that point is that most people I run into don't like it because it isn't an ACP, it was never intended to be. What it is is a modern round that can replicate ACP performance in a smaller envelope. Then again maybe I'm not as cultured as some.

:to_pick_ones_nose3:

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say the GAP Cartridge didn't work or was not a decent round. Some don't like it because when it comes to bullet weights, the GAP doesn't quite measure up to the 45ACP. It's close, but no cigar! Also, when I worked in a Gun Shop, we stocked a "few" boxes of Gold Dot JHP loads and a "few" boxes of FMJ. Mainly because our State Park Rangers carried the Glock in the GAP. But they usually sat there on the shelf, until a Park Ranger came in and bought every box we had. The Gun and Ammo Distributors we bought from, would yawn when you ordered GAP ammo, and sometimes they had none or would not stock it, because it sat there in their warehouses.

NOW, as for the use of the cartridge, I would not hesitate to use the GAP in self defense. I believe it is so close to the ACP in some loads and that the difference would be so little that I'm sure the bad guy would not be able to tell the difference. Certainly, some thug monkey that gets shot with one, will not turn and laugh at you and say, "you shoulda used an 45 ACP.:rolleyes: My point is, in my neck of the woods, you can't find a reliable source for ammo. And if the fecal matter ever hits the air circulation device, you won't find any of it here. Unless you Jack Up a Park Ranger.
My suggestion is, if you own one, then stock up, and I mean really stock up. I mean like CASES stock up. Or you will be holding an expensive CLUB in your hand. It's not getting any more popular right now, and when the ammo guys aren't selling it, they will stop producing it or stocking it

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back