Opinions on Streamlight TLR-1

ishi

I've got this rail on my CZ P01, and I've had my eye on the TLR-1 rail light. But, it's expensive and we all know that there are always other purchases that are tugging at the heartstrings. My question is: should I stick with my little handheld, or go for the $100 tactical ninja light? Is it worth it? Well made?

I have the TLR-2, laser/light or both. I kept it on a springer TRP in the nightstand. I use it to clear the house. Well worth the money.

I also have the TLR-2 and not only is it a very bright light, Streamlight Customer Service is great too!

My light went out. Streamlight said it was due to a defect and to return it.
Apparently when I bought it, though new to me it was an older version so Streamlight replaced it with the latest version at no charge.

Needless to say, if I ever get another it'll be from Streamlight! :D

Regarding the "should I" part of your question... the Tac-Rail Light is a nice thing to have but more necessary to our LEO population with specific Tac-Light training than to most of us. You don't use it like a flashlight. So, no, if your funds are tight I'd wait. ;)

Last edited:
I also have the TLR-2 and not only is it a very bright light, Streamlight Customer Service is great too!

My light went out. Streamlight said it was due to a defect and to return it.
Apparently when I bought it, though new to me it was an older version so Streamlight replaced it with the latest version at no charge.

Needless to say, if I ever get another it'll be from Streamlight! :D

Regarding the "should I" part of your question... the Tac-Rail Light is a nice thing to have but more necessary to our LEO population with specific Tac-Light training than to most of us. You don't use it like a flashlight. So, no, if your funds are tight I'd wait. ;)

Hmm! So my second question is - where can a person get tac-light training?
:D

I have had my Streamlight TLR 1 for over a year now and I love it. I replaced the M3 with it. I like the TLR 1 better because it seems to brighter, more sturdy, more reliable, and I don't have to worry about bulbs burning out. I havn't had a single problem with it. Other weapon lights can cost as much as twice that of a TLR 1, but I don't think your are getting twice the light.

Very nice light

I have a TLR-1 on my XD45ACP and absolutely love it. It has a better "side light" than all of the other lights that I have found.

It is metal and not plastic
It does not fall apart when firing (like the UTL)

I have also heard that they are making an LED one now, might be worth looking into.

I've had the TLR-2 for about a year now. I really like it and it's been 100% reliable. I have it attached to a Springfield XD40 service model.

Insight XTI Procyon

OMG! I was waiting for my light to come in for over three months and it was well worth it. It's the Insight XTI Procyon. Visit Website
It's well made, easily removed and has momentary on, double-tap strobe and full on. 130 lumens, way more than most. It's a little wider than I was expecting because it takes two 6V lithium batteries, but a little shorter than most others. It's adjustable and fits plenty tight on my S&W M&P 9mm.

If you already have a nice bright handheld flashlight, why bother spending the extra money? Sure, this is one of those things that's cool to have, but your handheld will serve the same purpose if your practice with it. I work as a security officer and I toyed with the idea of getting a light to go onto the tactical rail of my Glock 22, but the more I thought about it, the more I determined that my handheld (held with my left hand), which is bright enough to blind a perp, together with the gun in right hand, was sufficient enough. If you have the money to throw around then ok, but if money is tight, just stick with the handheld.

Also, something else to consider with the gun lights is holsters. Assuming that the light will be permanently mounted, you're going to have to use a holster that accomodates weapon-mounted lights, and these can be pretty hard to find as well as pricey. They can also make it harder for you to conceal your gun.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back