Opinions on M&P AR's

MWfinest

Does anyone here have first hand experience with these rifles? I assume they are pretty good but would like some more experienced opinions. Thanks for any help!

Here's my take on the S&W M&P rifle.

for the same money you can have an LMT CQB MRP complete rifle. LMT is a sole provider to USSOCOM, U.S. Army, Airforce, Marines and numerous otther government agencies. LMT has a repuatation beyond most other manufacturers, including Colt.

I've seen a number of threads across all gun forums explaining how M&P's have Kabooms. I have yet to see a thread regarding LMT and any kind of Kaboom. Maybe it's the buyer of an LMT rifle that uses quality ammo and the buyer of an M&P is the novice using cheap manufactured, or reloaded hot ammunition. Get my drift ?

Take your time, explore the most sought after brand names, like LMT, Noveske, LWRC etc. These day's you can get the LMT MRP with 16" barrel for less than $1600. That's one hell of a rifle for that price.

www.lewismachine.net

I have a Colt and have been looking for a flat top upper to mount optics off of the fixed carry handle. LMT is one of the manufactures I'm leaning towards.

Ropeadope do you own one?

Peace...

I heard Colt is the only company that laser inspects their components for quality control. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I have a Colt and have been looking for a flat top upper to mount optics off of the fixed carry handle. LMT is one of the manufactures I'm leaning towards.

Ropeadope do you own one?

Peace...

Yes, I own several LMT variants. I prefer their CQB MRP uppers, unless you want to build an SPR type upper with a match type barrel etc. Then your talking a whole new ball game and dollars. The LMT CQB MRP uppers are a mid length gas system, not carbine. I prefer this gas system.

Bravo Company USA is also another top notch upper manufacturer. You can purchase just about any configuration you desire from them. Bravo has SS barrels, Cold hammer forged barrels, Mil-Spec barrels, choices of hiders and comps, rail systems, etc. They are top notch kit.

The LMT MRP (Monolithic Rail Platform) is one of the most versitile systems available today. I change out the barrels from 16" to 10.5" with just two torqux screws and the supplied torque wrench from LMT.

There's more than enough rail space for all the stuff you may or may not want hanging off your rifle and you can place your optics completely down the top rail if your desire without an interruption in rail recesses.

Get their enhanced bolt and carrier and what ever type of iron sights you desire and you'll have one tight piece.

Here's a decent article regarding the LMT MRP series of rifles. You can purchase just the complete uppers also.

HERE: Link Removed

I heard Colt is the only company that laser inspects their components for quality control. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Not a laser inspection, they do a mag-particle check for cracks and flaws. I have also heard that they are the only ones that do it, but the only place I have heard that is from a gun shop salesman trying to sell me a Colt.

Steve

We have a S&W M&P (in addition to several LMT's, LWRC's, PWS) and it runs just as well. We use it for training as a demo gun and for sims/UTM work. For a base model AR, it holds up well, eats whatever ammo we put through it (we do not run Wolf of HSM), and is still accureate enough (1.5 MOA with a EO Tech), even on full auto. If you don't have $1600 to drop into a LMT or other (although I suggest saving up and doing so), $700-800 on a Smith isn't a bad choice. S&W's customer service is well known, their gunsmiths/builders have more time in the business than anyone else (the "rookie" there has been with them for over 25 years). You don't need an expensive gun to become a great shooter or to enjoy the sport.

Stay safe...

From what I understand Smith doesn't make their AR's they just put their name on them. Because of Smiths LE presence with hand guns it just made sense for them to offer an AR. No tooling costs just here's a rifle and you can put it on your existing PO.

Best AR on the market JP Rifles but you're going to pay and you'll have to check if it will fit your application.

The last LMT CQB MRP rifle I purchased only cost me $1400, for the complet rifle, bolt and carrier and SOPMOD stock with 3 Tango Down rail panels, Torque Wrench, one 30 round mag, sling etc.

It was the DGI, not a piston gun.

I have a M&P Tactical. Love it. Never had a problem. Picked it up for about $1300 + tax.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back