Open Top Or Thumb Break w/explanation

KCD1974

I posted this in one other forum, but I'm looking for multiple opinions...

I'm looking into OWB holsters....(Concealed)

What I'm wondering is should I go thumb break (which I'm leaning toward) or open top? I really don't want this to turn into a "you should try this holster topic" but I'll mention I'm looking at High Noon holsters as they do offer tension screws...

I have a XDM compact 9mm...

The reason I'm leaning toward the thumb break is that I have kids, I KNOW they won't unholster my firearm, BUT I do often have to chase after the two year old. On the High Noon website they mention "holding the firearm with your hand while running" well that would not be a good thing sometimes...so a thumb break would eliminate the need for that.

I doubt it would impede draw speed that significantly, would it?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Go with what you feel comfortable with. A thumb break doesn't necessarily slow you down. IF you train yourself to work the thumb break as you draw, it becomes just as natural as a 1911 shooter disengaging the thumb safety as he brings the gun onto the target.

On the other hand, a open top holster should fit the gun snugly enough that it can't just 'fall' out. If you've gotta hold a gun into the holster because you are running, then it needs a retention strap or you need to get a holster made for the gun you are toting. The Don Hume Model 721 I picked up for my FN (not Browning) Hi-Power is a prime example of that. You can turn it upside down and shake the crap out of it moving it up and down with the gun in the holster and the gun won't come out. Yet drawing from it is not a problem because the holster is boned (wet molded most likely) to the specific model gun. There's a little resistance to the draw at the very beginning but after the gun's moved about 1/4 inch, it's smooth as silk.

A quality concealed carry holster needs no thumb strap as the boning of the holster will provide more than adequate retention. My Kramer vertical scabbard is 5 years old and when held upside down still holds my fully loaded P226 securely without problem, my 4 year old Bulman SDS does the same for my 3lb Springfield 1911.

One big disadvantage to a thumb break holster is the possibility of an inadvertent discharge of the firearm should the thumb break strap get caught inside the trigger guard during re-holstering.

I gave up running when I got into my 40's so open top is good for me. I've had both and, like stated above, if you train with a thumb break holster, it wouldn't impact draw speed.

I use an open top (Fobus Paddle) holster for open carry and never have any problems with the gun being loose or falling out. I don't think with practice a thumb break will slow draw speed significantly, but it is one more thing to get in the way.

I have used both and my personal choice is an open top. Like others have said, with practice a thumb break really won't slow you down during a draw I just personally don't care for having one more thing in the way when stuff goes bad in a hurry. A quality made open top that is hand boned for the weapon carried should have more than enough retention.

I usually use a thumb break OWB for my carry weapon (an airlite j frame) and my thumb just naturally falls between the tab and snap to separate them - doesn't slow anything down.

I carry my 461 in a Ray's Clamshell Holster. The entire gun, except for the handle, is securely held in this holster. I carry my semi-autos in Don Hume 715 IWB holsters, except my TCP which I carry in a KNJ pocket holster. I have one thumbbreak and I never use it.

Try a Blackhawk serpa holster. They are better than a thumb break in my opinion due to not having to worry about the thumb break strap getting caught in the gun when re-holstering it.

Try a Blackhawk serpa holster. They are better than a thumb break in my opinion due to not having to worry about the thumb break strap getting caught in the gun when re-holstering it.

I love these holsters (Blackhawk Serpa).... Adjustable cant and good retention.....

I have had a gun fall out of an open top before, so I no longer trust open top holsters.....

I use a Kahr with thumb break for my Kahr 9 and a Blackhawk with the button for my G23. I love them both. I have to be able to run, jump, hang upside down, or whatever knowing for certain my gun is secure. I want anyone who tries to touch my gun have to go through extra steps to get it out if I OC. I want the extra step in case it's accidentally hit by anyone (kids are with me all day) or other objects I seem to not be able to avoid every once in a while. The holsters I use have to cover the trigger too. I wish I could get a Blackhawk for my Kahr as I prefer the button, but the leather hugs my body closer and distributes the weight better.

I have a serpa CQC, but it doesn't ride as high or tight as I would like....I'm not real close to purchasing the holster yet but I'm still leaning toward the High noon for OWB and a CBST for IWB. I'm not sure which order they will be purchased in...but I'm leaning toward the High Noon belt as well.

Thank you for all the replies.

Waited that long, did ya?

Hmmm. That's about when I started running!

With regards to the post, the balance of safety and quickness will differ from person to person, depending on their specific circumstances. If it's a holster like a fobus, you will already have good retention without a thumb break.

a good holster does not need a thumb break, but if you get one with it, you need to practice enough to be efficient.

also if you get one with out a thumb break you need to test it running, jumping, and the stuff that you do during your active life( that includes going to the bathroom...yes, the gun can drop if you are not careful...people do not think about this :), but it happens).

so you make sure you test both and enjoy..!

a good holster does not need a thumb break, but if you get one with it, you need to practice enough to be efficient.

also if you get one with out a thumb break you need to test it running, jumping, and the stuff that you do during your active life( that includes going to the bathroom...yes, the gun can drop if you are not careful...people do not think about this :), but it happens).

so you make sure you test both and enjoy..!

Good point. I had a holster in the past that relied on belt tension to hold the gun in place. Fortunately, I discovered it at home. It's in a box in the bottom of a wardrobe now with the rest of the 'close but not close enough' collection. That's NOT what you want to have happen in a public bathroom.

I vote againat the retention strat for a concealed gun because I've had times when I was practicing my draw and the strap wouldn't unsnap. If it isn't there it can't go wrong

I think the question is one of philosophy, what do you believe the primary purpose of a thumb break is?

There is a school of thought that believes that a thumb break prevents a pistol from falling out of a concealed holster accidently

Others believe that a thumb break is for weapon retention, that is to prevent someone else from drawing your pistol.

OK, I have argued on other posts that there is really no substitute for a good custom concealed carry holster. A Mitch Rosen or a Milt Sparks holster may be pricy but it will not have issues with pistols falling out. Quite the opposite in fact, many of these holsters need to be broken in before they can be used for every day carry. It will also hold the pistol close to your body give excellent comfort, and concealment, and excellent retention. In holsters of this type a thumb break is usually not required (but is offered on many models for those who want, or are required, to have them).

More "entry level" or mass market holsters, will be made of thinner, lower quality leather, will wear out, stretch and develop retention problems over time. For holsters like this a thumb break may eventually be required simply to keep a weapon in the holster. However at that point you should just buy a new one, it was cheap remember?

For open carry, or those who may, by the nature of their job such as plain clothes officers or federal agents, come into close contact with someone who might want to take their pistol away and do them great bodily harm, a retention device is a good idea and in some cases required by higher authority. For most people who carry concealed, concealment serves the function of limiting access to the pistol by another person and serves as its own form of weapon retention. As has been mentioned a thumb break or other form of mechanical retention requires training to be able to attain and maintain a rapid presentation.

All that being said it really boils down to comfort level, If you are uncomfortable carrying a pistol without a thumb break then by all means use one, but use it with the knowledge that you will be required to put in some extra training time to use it effectively

Well the holster in question is a very high quality molded to the weapon holster. So I'm not overly concerned that it would fall out with normal use. However, should have to run after some kids or jump off something in the course of playing with them, I feel the thumb break would be a good idea. It will be an OWB CONCEALED rig...Of course I will practice, you should do that with ANY holster, thumb break or not....

I appreciate all the feedback!

I am an open top proponent, too. I always called the thumb break a "suicide strap". The SERPA is no different, although it does have the advantage (as stated above) of preventing a ND due to the suicide strap getting in the way (causing what I call the Glock Walk). As many have said, a good holster needs no additional retention device. I have some FIST open top holsters that will hold a short barrel K-Frame .357 in place upside down. The gun will NOT fall out. My Galco Summer Comfort (IWB) also holds my Glock 21 pretty secure. I did, however, have trouble with this model holding a Smith & Wesson M-28 secure. It seems the revolver holster rides higher than the pistol holster. Now, if I absolutely HAD to have a retention device, I would take the SERPA since it is positive and will take very rough handling. The retention of a Uncle Mikes Kydex holster and Fobus Kydex holsters are good . . . very good, in fact. However, the SERPA seems to hold when the others will not. Actually, most of the Kydex holsters that I have tried will hold a pistol in place quite securely, unless you are doing gymnastics with them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back