Open Carry Under Attack

@SGB, as I have stated numerous times I have a ccwp in South Carolina. But I was attempting to make a point. I'm all for gun rights. But with open carry, you can't tell me that there isn't a potential for someone to misinterpret an open carriers intentions. Even if they are law abiding. That potential for someone to freak out is always there.

@Firefighter, and what about with law enforcement? How do they determine who's the good guy vs. who's the bad guy? Can you tell me that everything about open carry is 100% positive, with nothing negative attached.

What does this have to do with the public fearing or not fearing firearms?

What about law enforcement? The name says it all, they enforce laws. By law, it's legal in most states to open carry, its pretty easy to know who is good and bad if the only aspect is about open carry.

Again, what does everything about open carry have to do with your original post about the public fearing firearms? Sure there are negative aspects about open carry, such as having too deal with officer's who don't know how to enforce the law. But again...What does that have to do with your original statement about the public fearing firearms?

And I don't need statistics.

Lol really? Do you also feel the Brady campaign has a solid foundation since they too don't care about statistics?

The same with conceal carry. How does law enforcement know who is good vs. bad at a traffic stop. Just because someone passed a back ground check doesnt mean they don't have a potential for violence.

We all have the potential for violence...and? Officers have the potential for violence...and?

Back up your claims the public fears firearms, until then good day.

@SGB, as I have stated numerous times I have a ccwp in South Carolina. But I was attempting to make a point. I'm all for gun rights. But with open carry, you can't tell me that there isn't a potential for someone to misinterpret an open carriers intentions. Even if they are law abiding. That potential for someone to freak out is always there.

Sure the potential is there, and? Tens of thousands of open carriers across the nation open carrying for decades have had no problems.

How is it you can say the public fears firearms?

You can change your stance, you can add words such as "potential" to try and change what you meant to say, but at least accept that your original statement was full of misinformation.

I really do not care if you like open carry or not but I ask that you respect my right to carry as I choose and do not lump me into some stereotypical image you have predetermined I must fit into so that you can feel better about yourselves. We get that enough from the Bloombergs, Bradys and the main stream media.
The original poster has a valid point for sure.

The only place I see any objections to open carry is in the gun forums!!

I've been open carrying every day for almost two years now, in a state where open carry is only allowed under some very odd conditions, which I follow to the letter. I'm talking EVERY SINGLE DAY and I also open carry on a motorcycle in the process.

I obviously have a lot of visual contact with the "citizens" and a few LEO's. At no time has anyone said anything "bad" about open carry.

People that I meet on the fishing piers usually ask about the fishing and every now and then one of them asks about the gun. The conversations are good and informative for both sides.

My encounters with LEO's have been equally pleasant, really! They know and understand the law and once everybody is happy that I'm just a legal open carry person, we all move on with no problems.

Open carry, TO ME, is the best way to carry a gun 24/7. I do not like hiding a gun in my pants. I do not like IWB holsters and I've got a boxload of them, including many expensive pieces of leather for sure. Open carry on the belt is so much easier and much more comfortable than any of the IWB holsters.

I normally dress with a golf shirt and slacks. I'm not "flaunting" the gun in front of the police looking to become the next YouTube "hero". I don't carry video or a voice recorder. I just open carry every day and NOBODY CARES.

All of the comments and crisis worries are apparently from the concealed carry only people on the gun forums.

I just don't get it.

AD (full time open carry advocate)

So if you're dispatched to a cat in a tree call you're obligated to respond, rescue the cat and find it's lawful owner? Can I call to have you go to the store for me? What if I call about the three black kids walking down the sidewalk in my upscale neighborhood?

You have the most ignorant of responses for being a "former LEO".

Really? SGB was making a very valid point in regards to this previous comment:

You don't seem to understand that they are REQUIRED to check when there's a complaint.

Lakeland Man's comment was simply not true, as SGB and I pointed out. Police are NOT required to respond and check on every 911 call that is made, and especially NOT required to detain a person (or cat) every time to complete an investigation. People call 911 all the time for completely goofy reasons.

You guys are a bit out of touch. Yes, they DO have to answer every 911, but not in an immediate fashion like some people think. In the medical world, its called triage. And many times it's done via phone call than in person. I'm interested in knowing what agency in this country you know of that balks at 911s because they may be "foolish".

Scenario: I'm open carrying legally. I need a gallon of milk & some frosted flakes. I enter a store. It's legal to OC here. As I approach aisle 9, a distant voice says, "oh my god, he has a gun". A few minutes later LEO show up with guns drawn. Drop the frosted flakes & milk. Face down. The point I was trying to make all along. This scenario although made up, has to be a possibility. Im not against guns. I have guns. I have a ccwp in SC.

In a perfect world these to scenarios would get the same response.

Scenario #1.

Operator: 911, what is your emergency?

Caller: Their is a guy driving a car and thousands of people die every year from cars.

Operator: Is the guy doing anything else? Swerving, driving too fast, being reckless, anything illegal?

Caller: No, but he is driving a car in public and cars kill people.

Operator: Driving a car is legal. If he does anything illegal then call back and we will help you.

Scenario #2

Operator: 911, what is your emergency?

Caller: Their is a guy carrying a firearm and thousands of people die every year from firearms.

Operator: Is the guy doing anything else? Acting drunk, aggressive, threatening people, waving the firearm around, anything illegal?

Caller: No, but he is carrying a gun in public and guns kill people.

Operator: Carrying a firearm is legal. If he does anything illegal then call back and we will help you.

But alas, we do not live in a perfect world.

Scenario: I'm open carrying legally. I need a gallon of milk & some frosted flakes. I enter a store. It's legal to OC here. As I approach aisle 9, a distant voice says, "oh my god, he has a gun". A few minutes later LEO show up with guns drawn. Drop the frosted flakes & milk. Face down. The point I was trying to make all along. This scenario although made up, has to be a possibility. Im not against guns. I have guns. I have a ccwp in SC.

Sure it's a possibility...but it's a possibility I could win hundreds of millions of dollars from the lottery...

Guess what, I haven't won the lottery, nor have I had, and neither has thousands of open carriers had, your made up scenario happen.

You're still promoting guilty until proven innocent because guns are bad. As to the "potential for someone to freak out is always there" .........

In a perfect world, it's innocent until proven guilty. However, you know the world is anything but perfect. So in a sense, guilty until proven innocent fits, right?

In a perfect world, it's innocent until proven guilty. However, you know the world is anything but perfect. So in a sense, guilty until proven innocent fits, right?

Not in my life, but then I stand up for my beliefs.

And guns are inanimate objects. So, no
Guns aren't bad. Only guns in the wrong hands. So I guess Hands are bad.

You guys are a bit out of touch. Yes, they DO have to answer every 911, but not in an immediate fashion like some people think. In the medical world, its called triage. And many times it's done via phone call than in person. I'm interested in knowing what agency in this country you know of that balks at 911s because they may be "foolish".

It's not balking. It's called screening. Something that all 911 operators should be trained to do, and some actually are.

What you are saying is that you are afraid if someone sees your gun they will call the cops and the cops will put you on the floor at gunpoint. Correct?

If so then I hope your concealed gun never prints or briefly shows as you reach for the frosted flakes on the top shelf..... because would it make any difference if someone saw your not so concealed gun or an open carried gun?

The original poster has a valid point for sure.

The only place I see any objections to open carry is in the gun forums!!

I've been open carrying every day for almost two years now, in a state where open carry is only allowed under some very odd conditions, which I follow to the letter. I'm talking EVERY SINGLE DAY and I also open carry on a motorcycle in the process.

I obviously have a lot of visual contact with the "citizens" and a few LEO's. At no time has anyone said anything "bad" about open carry.

People that I meet on the fishing piers usually ask about the fishing and every now and then one of them asks about the gun. The conversations are good and informative for both sides.

My encounters with LEO's have been equally pleasant, really! They know and understand the law and once everybody is happy that I'm just a legal open carry person, we all move on with no problems.

Open carry, TO ME, is the best way to carry a gun 24/7. I do not like hiding a gun in my pants. I do not like IWB holsters and I've got a boxload of them, including many expensive pieces of leather for sure. Open carry on the belt is so much easier and much more comfortable than any of the IWB holsters.

I normally dress with a golf shirt and slacks. I'm not "flaunting" the gun in front of the police looking to become the next YouTube "hero". I don't carry video or a voice recorder. I just open carry every day and NOBODY CARES.

All of the comments and crisis worries are apparently from the concealed carry only people on the gun forums.

I just don't get it.

AD (full time open carry advocate)

I thought open carry was not allowed in Florida?

Are you aware that a concealed carry permit... the very thing you are advocating is a gun right... is NOT a right but is the exact kind of infringement referred to in "shall not be infringed" because in order to bear an arm in a concealed manner one must first get permission from the government?

And in some States no permit of any kind is required to open carry? Which means open carry has more in common with the actual right to bear arms than that concealed carry permission slip has.

So what was that you were saying about being "all for gun rights"?

As for people misinterpreting an open carriers intentions.... are you actually suggesting that people not exercise their rights just because some ninny might "misinterpret someone's intentions"? Should black people not walk down the sidewalk at night to go to the store to get a gallon of milk and some frosted flakes just because some racist might "misinterpret their intentions"?

Guns kill people. 90% of people equate guns to violent impending death. Right or wrong, that is the publics perception. If u aren't in a uniform, and you have a gun, people will panic. If that is your goal then go ahead. If its not your goal, use your head and your discretion. Ccw.

Come on now. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. (Guns just make it more efficient!)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back