Open Carry Opinions

Cooter

Liberty or Death
I live in Oregon, an open carry state. In my small town, I don't see many people carrying firearms. There is one older gentleman that I see occasionaly with a large revolver in a leather holster. And the guy who owns the only gun shop in town carries a Sig on his side. Sometimes I carry my gun out in the open. I get some bad looks sometimes, but mostly people see it and just smile. I figure maybe if people see more regular folks carrying, they might...feel better about it I guess? I'm not sure how to put it, but I have this urge to openly flont my right to carry. It's not an arogance or prideful thing, I just feel like people don't address the issue with enough concern, and they should have it on thier minds more.
I think we all should be, not just firearms owners, but AMBASSADORS of firearms. Proudly carrying our weapons, and boldly stating 'we will not be told we cannot defend ourselves.' Not just hiding them away, and hoping for the best. How are we to make other people share our beliefs? Do you think I am wrong in thinking this way?

Go out and Charge Forth

I think that if you can, one should always try to be an ambassador for firearms and firearms safety. Of course as usual I have a few caviots to this. I don't open carry much in the city just because I have a disability and unfortunately people dont handle a guy who walks like a drunk carrying a firearm very well. You will find all sorts of reactions to open carry from smiles to gasps to sometimes calls to the police. I have seen friends and been lectured myself by LEO who have tried to find something to arrest me for. I'm certainly not saying all LEO will do this, its only a very very small crowd. I've been told everything in the book here in Utah. Its illegal, you can't carry loaded it must not have a magazine in it. Only us police can carry guns, etc, etc, etc. Know the law forwards and backwards and it won't be a problem. I'm just prepping you because society is not all but warmed up to the idea yet. I tend not to carry yet because I am financially unprepared to fight any stupid legal costs or other hassles that I may occur. Several cases have happened here in Utah where the individual was either heavily harrased or arrested and taken to court by an officer. Each time the law prevailed and appologies were said or sent. Slowly as more people OC the local and state government are starting to adjust. My second caviot is gun retention. Make sure you have a good holster and possibly even some low budget training or ability to make sure your gun stays with you. If you are willing and prepared for hassle and you can hold onto your gun. I say great, go forth and OC. Always follow the law of course and be a civil person. I've had people ask strange questions about my OC position and it gave me a chance to educate them and ease them a bit about people wearing guns. While always not the case, BG tend to carry their guns in a holster as it adds to evidence if they ditch the gun. Unfortunately some people see a person wearing a gun who is obviously not a cop and they call 911. Hello...911 there is a guy with a gun at seven-11. Of course, the police have to respond and they dont know its just some poor bloke shopping. Maybe if we can all slowly expose society to good people with guns, then they will start to get the picture. Good luck in your open carry experiences, happy to hear how its gone thus far...

You're right from a social standpoint as far as increasing acceptance of guns and decreasing the associated fear issues. However, from a tactical point of view, concealed is better - except as a possible deterrent against opportunists, who can be discouraged anyway through vigilance and body language.

It's far better if a potential assailant does not have any indication that you are armed. They're less likely to pick up a weapon for themselves, are more likely to be overconfident and make mistakes, and will probably be terrified when they suddenly see a gun. Look at how nations camouflage their nuclear weapons; you never see bombers or submarines with "THIS ONE HERE HAS NUKES!!!" painted in block red letters on the top. Generally, they are even loathe to say what troops are where, although the media often takes care of that part.

Being someone who likes to have conditions in my favor, I'd prefer to keep the element of surprise for myself whenever possible. If you're riding around a ranch or out hiking, it might be different - carrying openly is far more comfortable, and probably more advantageous for use against animals, which more likely to be a threat in the woods than people.

open carry

You're right from a social standpoint as far as increasing acceptance of guns and decreasing the associated fear issues. However, from a tactical point of view, concealed is better - except as a possible deterrent against opportunists, who can be discouraged anyway through vigilance and body language.

It's far better if a potential assailant does not have any indication that you are armed. They're less likely to pick up a weapon for themselves, are more likely to be overconfident and make mistakes, and will probably be terrified when they suddenly see a gun. Look at how nations camouflage their nuclear weapons; you never see bombers or submarines with "THIS ONE HERE HAS NUKES!!!" painted in block red letters on the top. Generally, they are even loathe to say what troops are where, although the media often takes care of that part.

Being someone who likes to have conditions in my favor, I'd prefer to keep the element of surprise for myself whenever possible. If you're riding around a ranch or out hiking, it might be different - carrying openly is far more comfortable, and probably more advantageous for use against animals, which more likely to be a threat in the woods than people.

I agree. If I am at the mall or anywhere for that matter and an active shooter has decided that today is the day he will kill as may innocent people as he can I would rather not be his first target. If I am carrying my weapon open and spotted his natural choice for his first victom is the person he knows to be armed.

maybe in smaller towns open carrying would not be thought of as a threat. but of course in bigger cities you always have idiots that see a gun and think the worst without even knowing... maybe because small town people are around guns more.. learn about them at an early age... seems like that to me anyway.

Open Carry in Alabama

There are no laws against, or regulating, open carry, but I do have a letter from our former Attorney General stating that is not illegal to carry open.

I, like another poster, tend to carry concealed in public, for the same reasons of surprise, etc., but carry open around home, while walking/hiking or when hunting. Never had any problems with any of it, but have had folks interested in "what it is, what ammo", etc.

Just got to use some common sense and watch people's attitudes....and know the laws!

Well here in SC, there us a no open carry law, but its easy enough to get your CWP, so I carry conceled every day.............

I prefer to carry concealed if at all possible. I resort to open carry when traveling through states that don't recognize my permits (Oregon, Colorado and a few others). I try to avoid states completely that won't allow me to do either (California for one). Most of the time I'm on my BMW motorcycle when I visit these states. I wonder if people would react differently if I were on my Harley. :Nigga[1]:

While I used to open carry occasionally when I was younger, I now prefer concealed carry. There are several reasons for this and the first being the attitudes of others. Some will look at you as a trouble maker or "Wyatt Earp" wannabe. My main reason, however, is the element of surprise. A BG that is on drugs, in bad shape and knows you have a gun may shoot first and simply take what they want. You will get many opinions on this subject and it will boil down to what you feel comfortable doing.

I live in Alabama. As Bud45 stated, open carry is technically allowed, but I would rather not have to explain that to the police. So I carry concealed, but don't worry too much about printing or flashing. I agree with others that the general public needs to see that carrying a gun does not instantly make you a crazed lunatic. Several times I've been out shopping with my 6 year old daughter. We're just your typical daddy and daughter no big deal. I can see all the moms looking at us like "Aww...that's so sweet". Then I reach up for something on the high shelf or a gust of wind blows my jacket open and you can see it in their face...a look of shock and fear, followed by puzzlement followed by (most important) deeper thought. They go home thinking "well, he seemed normal, but he was carrying a gun. If he was carrying a gun he has to be evil, but he seemed perfectly normal...does not compute...illogical...must reboot."

I agree with whiptrackercracker I live in a state where we can open carry to, but I dont wont those phone calls to the cops, and the fact that I am outed for carrying. I also dont want the hassle of being bugged by a LEO unless I have to, because knowing my luck he will run me in for something stupid.

Our Indiana License To Carry Handgun is just that, a license to carry handgun. How we carry it is up to us. I've done a lot of open carry in Angola, Auburn and Ft. Wayne and have yet to be hassled. We can go into restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages, bars, saloons, strip joints and church while carrying and it's all legal. I'm not a drunk or "party animal", but I do open carry into a bar now and then and have a drink. Most people don't notice. Once in a while, I get a double-take, but nobody has called the police on me as yet and nobody has ran screaming from me and nobody has even asked me about my revolver. I'm sure I'll have an encounter of some sort sooner or later. If I'm in a hurry and don't have time to invest in an encounter, I'll conceal. The shirt tail comes out and I look like any other slob just stumbling along minding his own business.

I'm typically in a suit most of the time so I figure the average joe would think I was an LOE anyway. That said, I'd prefer the concealed carry simply because of the surprise elements mentioned above.

Honestly, I don't want to "surprise" a BG AFTER he's picked me for a target, I want him to not bother me. The visible deterrent effect of a weapon (for me anyway) outweighs any tactical surprise advantage.

And the "first target" or "gun grab" is so rare among non-LEOs that I've never heard of it, so that is really a non-issue. Not saying that it can't, or hasn't happened, I've just not heard of it. Proper situational awareness should prevent any gun grab. The way mine sits, even with 0 retention, if I am at all concerned I can let my arm hang down and press against it (hand is at thigh level, gun is at hip, slightly below elbow).

The same awareness may not be able to prevent all types of persistent "gonna get HIM FIRST" but should help with most. The same body language that protects you when you CC should also be a big tip-off to critters to pass you by when you're OC'ing.

There is an occasional "reaction" when I'm OC, but the VAST majority is neutral, and I honestly don't really care what somebody else thinks :)
There is also the benefit of "normalizing" weapons in society at large. If they constantly see peacefully carried weapons, it could help weapons becoming something of a "meh" item instead of an "OMG!'" item.

As an aside: I carry either way depending on weather. Warm weather=OC, cold weather=long shirts and coats=mild CC. My carry rig is a PT92 in a Yaqui Slide (Want a fobus, but they don't have a holster for a 92 w/ accessory rail).

Honestly, I don't want to "surprise" a BG AFTER he's picked me for a target, I want him to not bother me. The visible deterrent effect of a weapon (for me anyway) outweighs any tactical surprise advantage.

And the "first target" or "gun grab" is so rare among non-LEOs that I've never heard of it, so that is really a non-issue. Not saying that it can't, or hasn't happened, I've just not heard of it. Proper situational awareness should prevent any gun grab. The way mine sits, even with 0 retention, if I am at all concerned I can let my arm hang down and press against it (hand is at thigh level, gun is at hip, slightly below elbow).

The same awareness may not be able to prevent all types of persistent "gonna get HIM FIRST" but should help with most. The same body language that protects you when you CC should also be a big tip-off to critters to pass you by when you're OC'ing.

There is an occasional "reaction" when I'm OC, but the VAST majority is neutral, and I honestly don't really care what somebody else thinks :)
There is also the benefit of "normalizing" weapons in society at large. If they constantly see peacefully carried weapons, it could help weapons becoming something of a "meh" item instead of an "OMG!'" item.

As an aside: I carry either way depending on weather. Warm weather=OC, cold weather=long shirts and coats=mild CC. My carry rig is a PT92 in a Yaqui Slide (Want a fobus, but they don't have a holster for a 92 w/ accessory rail).

You make good points in defense of open carry. However, as far as gun grabs are concerned, if it is truly the non-issue you say it is, then why do open carriers carry their guns only in holsters with an active retention device? To protect against those gun grabs that you say are a non-issue, that's why.

I live in Alabama. As Bud45 stated, open carry is technically allowed, but I would rather not have to explain that to the police. So I carry concealed, but don't worry too much about printing or flashing. I agree with others that the general public needs to see that carrying a gun does not instantly make you a crazed lunatic. Several times I've been out shopping with my 6 year old daughter. We're just your typical daddy and daughter no big deal. I can see all the moms looking at us like "Aww...that's so sweet". Then I reach up for something on the high shelf or a gust of wind blows my jacket open and you can see it in their face...a look of shock and fear, followed by puzzlement followed by (most important) deeper thought. They go home thinking "well, he seemed normal, but he was carrying a gun. If he was carrying a gun he has to be evil, but he seemed perfectly normal...does not compute...illogical...must reboot."

On the back of the CC permit in AL. are six rules. First rule on the list;

"This pistol permit does not permit you to carry a gun openly".

I sometimes get to carry openly, but it is when I am in an official capacity with the Sheriff's reserves. Otherwise I conceal the fact that I am armed.

You make good points in defense of open carry. However, as far as gun grabs are concerned, if it is truly the non-issue you say it is, then why do open carriers carry their guns only in holsters with an active retention device? To protect against those gun grabs that you say are a non-issue, that's why.

Um no...There are a ton of folks doing the open carry thing with no active retention device.

Gun grabs are a non issue. Post me up something where its happened please.

Not even trying to argue. The point is that it doesnt matter how you carry, just carry.

Personally Id like to see everyone OC so as to make it commonplace again. It would take plenty of steam away from the anti argument IMO.

We dont have OC here in SC but were working on it. CC is fine by me as well. I OC on my property all the time.

Um no...There are a ton of folks doing the open carry thing with no active retention device.

Gun grabs are a non issue. Post me up something where its happened please.

Not even trying to argue. The point is that it doesnt matter how you carry, just carry.

Personally Id like to see everyone OC so as to make it commonplace again. It would take plenty of steam away from the anti argument IMO.

We dont have OC here in SC but were working on it. CC is fine by me as well. I OC on my property all the time.

Um yes. Anyone who does carry openly without an active retention device is just asking to have their gun snatched, in my opinion. If you're going to spend several hundred dollars on a firearm, why wouldn't anyone spend just as much to protect their investment? Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Open carry is an ambassador and a deterrent, unfortunately for many that isn't an option. But it should be

There is an occasional "reaction" when I'm OC, but the VAST majority is neutral, and
I honestly don't really care what somebody else thinks :)

Thank you someone who calls it as it. Why should we care what other people think? We know it's legal and in the right. We are not mad men/women waving the gun around saying "Look at me i have a gun" We are not trying to play the role of LEO. IT IS OUR RIGHT to do so. We do not use our rights we lose them and that's that. So they call the cops let them that's their right as well and it's the LEO job to respond to a call ( Man/women with a gun). As i keep saying know the laws carry a copy with you show the LEO you are in the right. If you end up with a prick cop he will try and run you in on something else. Or try and bring up old dead City code. Why should i lose my right just because it makes you feel unsafe? I Carry OWB with a button up shirt hanging over it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back