Open Carry in Utah, from Nevada

Makulit

Hello, I got an open carry question for those in the know from Utah.
I live in Nevada, and I normally conceal carry around town. But when me and my family are off-roading, fishing, camping, or whatever out in nature, I'll open carry. Just easier and more comfortable. Sometimes we'll take trips to Arizona where they recognize my CC issued in Las Vegas, and I'm free to OC if I like. I'd like to be able to visit Utah for fishing, camping, or off-roading too.
I did some searching on Utah laws. I know Utah recognizes my CC permit issued in Nevada. But when reading on a couple websites about their OC laws. It says if you don't have a permit you can't open carry with a round in the chamber or be less than two actions away from firing. And there seems to be a lot of debate on what constitutes "two" actions. If you have "this permit" then you can OC with the gun fully loaded and ready, the same way I do in Nevada.
Utah | OpenCarry.org
So what type of permit do I need to OC the way I'm used to in Nevada? Is my CC permit in Nevada all I need? Or is there another class I need to take?
Anybody got some first hand knowledge on this? Thank you

Hello, I got an open carry question for those in the know from Utah.
I live in Nevada, and I normally conceal carry around town. But when me and my family are off-roading, fishing, camping, or whatever out in nature, I'll open carry. Just easier and more comfortable. Sometimes we'll take trips to Arizona where they recognize my CC issued in Las Vegas, and I'm free to OC if I like. I'd like to be able to visit Utah for fishing, camping, or off-roading too.
I did some searching on Utah laws. I know Utah recognizes my CC permit issued in Nevada. But when reading on a couple websites about their OC laws. It says if you don't have a permit you can't open carry with a round in the chamber or be less than two actions away from firing. And there seems to be a lot of debate on what constitutes "two" actions. If you have "this permit" then you can OC with the gun fully loaded and ready, the same way I do in Nevada.
Utah | OpenCarry.org
So what type of permit do I need to OC the way I'm used to in Nevada? Is my CC permit in Nevada all I need? Or is there another class I need to take?
Anybody got some first hand knowledge on this? Thank you
My $00.02:
1. Utah will let you OC with a round in the tube with not but your Nevada permit.

2. "Two-steps" means 'Israeli carry' if an auto, or an empty chamber in the cylinder if a revolver.

Of course I am not a lawyer and do not offer this as authorative legal advice, this only how I understand the law and how I might proceed if in your situation. You may find peace of mind by getting a Utah non-resident permit :)

Read the details on reciprocity and open carry at handgunlaw.us. According to Reciprocity with Other States | DPS ? Criminal Identification:

In accordance with U.C.A. 76-10-523, Utah will honor a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by another state or county.

I added the emphasis and the link to the criminal code. Your Nevada permit is honored in Utah. You can carry a loaded firearm openly or concealed. As far as I know, Utah does not regulate open carry in general. It regulates carrying a loaded firearm (U.C.A. 76-10-505 and U.C.A. 76-10-502) and concealed carry (U.C.A. 76-10-504).

My $00.02:
1. Utah will let you OC with a round in the tube with not but your Nevada permit.

2. "Two-steps" means 'Israeli carry' if an auto, or an empty chamber in the cylinder if a revolver.

Of course I am not a lawyer and do not offer this as authorative legal advice, this only how I understand the law and how I might proceed if in your situation. You may find peace of mind by getting a Utah non-resident permit :)

The relevant Utah statute is:
http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S523.html

Effective 5/13/2014
76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.

The op has a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by another state, therefore Section 76-10-505 does not apply to him. Section 76-10-505 is the prohibition against carrying a loaded firearm in public or in a vehicle:
http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S505.html

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.

Again, for clarification, it does not apply to persons who have a permit from another state.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back