Open Carry in Mississippi

Mississippi's Gun Laws

• Total voters

Cowboy615

Does anyone know the actual law for MS open carry? I have a "Firearms Permit" as issued by the State Troopers office (civillian). But, I don't know what the deal is because some people say that it's completely fine, and some say it's illegal. The PO's around here are definitely not sure of most of the laws because it is a college town and they just don't want trouble; however, I would like to know the actual WRITTEN law. But, Mississippi's law doesn't CLEARLY describe open carry, they only cover concealed.... help..?? :hang3:

Mississippi Open Carry

Does anyone know the actual law for MS open carry? I have a "Firearms Permit" as issued by the State Troopers office (civillian). But, I don't know what the deal is because some people say that it's completely fine, and some say it's illegal. The PO's around here are definitely not sure of most of the laws because it is a college town and they just don't want trouble; however, I would like to know the actual WRITTEN law. But, Mississippi's law doesn't CLEARLY describe open carry, they only cover concealed.... help..?? :hang3:

OpenCarry.org is a pretty good resource for these questions.

MS page is here: Link Removed

Excerpt:

Summary

Mississippi is an open carry state and the state constitution appears to guarantee this right. Further, localities are generally preempted under state law from enacting local gun control ordnances that might restrict open carry. However, Miss. Code §§ 97-37-1 & § 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver. As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi.​

Read the entire OpenCarry page--lots more info.

Hope this helps,

Love it a handgun in a holster is concealed, so do you carry it in a clear plastic bag around your neck???? LOL

That's what I'm saying.... Does that count as concealed for my permit haha?

There is no statutory requirement to conceal a firearm in Mississippi. You won't find a statute that declares open carry to be legal, because in our legal system in America, statutes define what is illegal, not what is legal. So, any action that is not declared to be illegal by statute, is by default legal. That is the situation in Mississippi and other "open carry" states. The lack of a statute making it illegal to open carry cause open carry to be legal.

In Mississippi, the courts have decided in their infinite wisdom that a holster partially conceals a firearm. Therefore a permit which allows the firearm to be concealed is required to carry a firearm in a holster, whether or not the holster containing the firearm is plainly visible or concealed.

Well this is the place to find out what you need. Ask lots of questions.
Don't be sorry. I just provided those links for more information to you on this topic.
And Welcome!!

Is your permit a concealed weapon permit, or does MS require a permit just to OWN a gun?

If it is a concealed weapons permit, the law seems to say that you can carry in a holster...visible or not.

ISSUE (question posed by a police chief in Mississippi) AG Opinion dated June 14, 2012

Is there a law in Mississippi that requires a permit holder to completely cover his weapon in public by means of a shirt, jacket or other piece of clothing?

RESPONSE
Yes. The authority to legally carry a pistol or revolver is derived from Section 45-9-101 of the Mississippi Code which provides in the first sentence: "(1 )(a) The Department of
Public Safety is authorized to issue licenses to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers to persons qualified in this section."

This provision does not authorize a person to carry a pistol "concealed in part", but requires that it be totally concealed. This conclusion is succinctly set forth in Section 45-9-101 (18): " ... Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any stun gun or deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1 Mississippi Code of 1972."

Section 97-37-1 prohibits the carrying of listed weapons "concealed in whole or in part":
(1) switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, slingshot, pistol, revolver, or any rifle with a barrel of less than sixteen (16) inches in length, or any shotgun with a barrel of less than eighteen (18) inches in length, machine gun or any fully automatic firearm or deadly weapon, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not it is accompanied by a firearm, or uses or attempts to use against another person any imitation firearm, shall upon conviction be punished as follows:

Thus, it is illegal to carry the weapons described in Section 97-37-1(1) without securing a license as provided in Section 45-9-101, which license authorizes the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver. The securing of the 'enhanced" permit provided in Section
97-37-7 does not abrogate the requirement that the weapons be carried totally concealed.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back