Open Carry Confidence

Andrew17

I'm from Baker City Oregon where I open carry all the time, mostly because I'm never in town and I'm usually out in the woods and I feel comfortable doing it there. I live in Eugene for school and I have been experimenting with open carry here. I can't carry on campus( it's legal now, but the school will expel you) and I don't like carrying around my apartment complex because of all the Asians and Arabs who have no idea that it's ok to carry here, and would most certainly call the police.

However, I'm now trying to always carry if I'm around town at night. But I wasn't sure if my youth paster would've appreciated me carrying last night at bible study, so I left my pistol in my car. I asked him afterwards what he thought about it, and to my surprise he said it didn't bother him one bit! He actually really likes guns, he just doesn't own one (???). Anyways, I'm now much more confident about open carrying, which brings me to my point:
If you aren't confident, you shouldn't carry. That's not to say that there will for sure be a while where you feel strange, out of place, and even nervous, but confidence will help you present yourself well in front of sheep, as well as to the police, which are both important for open carrying. Do you agree?

I haven't been called in yet, so no police encounters of any kind, but if I do I will most certainly post about it.

The more you do it the more comfortable you will be. While on a little vacation at Cannon Beach, my kids dragged me through every shop in town. Not a single negative word was said. You just need to watch it because some cities like Portland don't allow loaded open carry.
Link Removed

Oregon is a "shall issue" state so you might as well apply for a CCW permit, and start carrying 24/7/365 concealed.

That would solve your other issues with asians and arabs. Out of sight is out of mind.

CCW was once universally viewed as akin to criminal, but now it is the opposite, that CCW where permitted is considered conventional and open carry is now considered by most non-gun familiar people as irrational, mostly due to gun paranoia by residents and the police.

Scalia discusses the whole history of both issues in his detailed bench ruling:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

I disagree. Open carry garners unwanted attention. Of u like attention do it.

Who are you disagreeing with? There are several respondents. You need to be more specific when you write. Or else change the structure of your comment.

Ergo, say "I believe ... because ... " etc.

I'm actually doing it out of necessity. I don't turn 21 until february, but Oregon allows ownership and carry of handguns by anyone over 18, so it's my only option. That, or I can lock it in a hard case in my car; which makes it useless and likely to get stolen. I'll conceal as soon as I'm 21.

Actually, if you have a CHL, you can open carry in all the cities in Oregon that have loaded gun bans, I think there are...4 or 6 of them. Eugene's not one of them though.

The more you do it the more comfortable you will be. While on a little vacation at Cannon Beach, my kids dragged me through every shop in town. Not a single negative word was said. You just need to watch it because some cities like Portland don't allow loaded open carry.
Link Removed

No loaded open carry. That's quite possibly the silliest notion I've ever heard.

I have open carried from Eugene to Portland with no problems. I do agree confidence is important, but the best way to become confident is by doing it. So the line, "if your not confident, don't carry," doesn't work for me. Otherwise good on you for exercising your right.

Despite what the open carry negative Nancy's say, I have not warrant unwanted attention nor had the mass majority of non gun owning people even hint at them feeling it was irrational. In fact, you well soon find out it's the gun owners concealed carry only crowd who are more emotional and controlling when it comes to carry methods.

but now it is the opposite, that CCW where permitted is considered conventional and open carry is now considered by most non-gun familiar people as irrational, mostly due to gun paranoia by residents and the police.

Perfect description of Link Removed.

OC everyday and I'm an OLD GEEZER !!!

If it's legal where you are, why do care what the "neighbors" think ????

OC everyday and I'm an OLD GEEZER !!!

If it's legal where you are, why do care what the "neighbors" think ????

Roger that!

Even in Montana when I open carry on the road it tends to worry people. Ok so the shoulder rig was probably over kill. But even just a kydex on the hip makes people nervous. Even in Montana! Was only 100 years ago everyone had a gun on their hip here!

I just try to be more polite and humorous to those I deal with. Only had a few problems. Nothing involving the law, just ignorant sheep. And a few stores my money is no longer valued.

However I do prefer concealed, but open, sometimes has advantages.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back