oops

Duke of Advil

I am from another state that Arizona has a reciprocity agreement with and will be traveling to Phoenix for a few days. Most of the time I will be walking and probably will be with a small group.
I have a question:

If I am going from place to place and I unintentionally enter a business that is posted as a no carry zone, is it a felony or just a misdemeanor?
I will be traveling on foot most of the time, and in a group. Many that I will be with may not know that I am carrying. As we approach an establishment, my wife and I not entering it may seem odd to some people, and returning to the hotel may not be an option.

If you refused to leave you could be charged with a class 2 misdemeanor
In general if you leave when asked there will be no problem.

“13-1503. Criminal trespass in the second degree; classification

A. A person commits criminal trespass in the second degree by knowingly entering or remaining unlawfully in or on any nonresidential structure or in any fenced commercial yard.

B. Criminal trespass in the second degree is a class 2 misdemeanor.”

You can find summaries of handgun laws on the Concealed Carry Resources page of this site or here
Handgunlaw.us

Note: Tribal lands may have laws that are different from the state’s.

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought about tribal lands having different laws. The only tribal lands I need to worry about living I North East Ohio is the Cleveland Indians stadium. Luckily I will be conducting all of my business in Phoenix proper.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Concealed means concealed. In a non-government property a NO GUNS sign is a notice of policy, not law. To enter with your gun concealed is not a crime. It is a violation of their policy, which would only become a crime if your gun was spotted, you were asked to leave, and you subsequently refused, then it is trespassing. Conceal it well, and go about your business.

So can someone help me out with what the difference might be between a business saying No Free Speech Zone or a Gun Free Zone? They are both Constitutional Amendments that grant those freedoms to citizens. Completely rhetorical question here. Couldn't a business be rightfully sued for infringing on that right?

Businesses can't legally deny their services to certain demographics of our society, so how is it legal for a Constitutionally guaranteed freedom such as any/all citizen gun owners? Not a lawyer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but has this ever been challenged? Could a business legally post a sign saying No Free Speech Allowed?

The Place To Be

So can someone help me out with what the difference might be between a business saying No Free Speech Zone or a Gun Free Zone? They are both Constitutional Amendments that grant those freedoms to citizens. Completely rhetorical question here. Couldn't a business be rightfully sued for infringing on that right?

Businesses can't legally deny their services to certain demographics of our society, so how is it legal for a Constitutionally guaranteed freedom such as any/all citizen gun owners? Not a lawyer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but has this ever been challenged? Could a business legally post a sign saying No Free Speech Allowed?

The Place To Be

You have no right to free speech on someone else's private property. It's a privilege. You have no right to keep and bear arms on someone else's private property. It's a privilege.

You have no right to free speech on someone else's private property. It's a privilege. You have no right to keep and bear arms on someone else's private property. It's a privilege.
Now I know why Amazon will rule retail in the very near future. Bezos might be an *** but he's a capitalist first. They don't sell guns yet but all the ancillary goodies like holsters, mag holders, scopes etc... are there.

PC liberalism at my point of purchase will not see my money anymore. Go ahead and put a no gun sign up. I'm buying elsewhere.

It's not just guns either. I stopped going to our local Ace Hardware because they had apparently hired an entire staff of environmental Nazis. Disapproving looks when buying the wrong VOC level paint, light bulb advice based on disposal evils, pesticide tsk tsks for buying the "harmful" formulas. I mean they're selling these so called climate killers and some nitwit in a red vest is needing to hard sell me the "right stuff". Which is always more money too😉.

I tried going to these "smaller guys" but started to hate going to the hardware store! At least HD employees are there just schlepping product. That's how guys like their hardware. Walk in, buy it, use it. No eye rolls or subtle lecturing.

The Place To Be

Now I know why Amazon will rule retail in the very near future. Bezos might be an *** but he's a capitalist first. They don't sell guns yet but all the ancillary goodies like holsters, mag holders, scopes etc... are there.

PC liberalism at my point of purchase will not see my money anymore. Go ahead and put a no gun sign up. I'm buying elsewhere.

It's not just guns either. I stopped going to our local Ace Hardware because they had apparently hired an entire staff of environmental Nazis. Disapproving looks when buying the wrong VOC level paint, light bulb advice based on disposal evils, pesticide tsk tsks for buying the "harmful" formulas. I mean they're selling these so called climate killers and some nitwit in a red vest is needing to hard sell me the "right stuff". Which is always more money too.

I tried going to these "smaller guys" but started to hate going to the hardware store! At least HD employees are there just schlepping product. That's how guys like their hardware. Walk in, buy it, use it. No eye rolls or subtle lecturing.

The Place To Be

What you're describing here is actually how ordered liberty, free markets and free association is supposed to work. Personally, as a business owner, I never would've put a no guns or speech-limiting sign up. I support freedom to the extent that I have no desire to preemptively limit it for others. The period is emphasized in the preceding sentence because it is the most important part of the sentence. However, a preemptive sign listing the very few exceptions to that premise that might arise was not needed in order for me to know that I had every right and authority to tell anybody for (almost) any reason that they had to leave. It never did happen while we were in business, but if it had, I would expect that the person(s) I ejected would likely no longer be my customers. Their freedom to decide for themselves whether or not to patronize a business that doesn't serve what they believe are their own best interests is certainly no insult to me. My freedom is no more important than theirs, and when we both exercise them equally towards each other, it is a demonstration of mutual respect to accept it as just that - demonstrations of freedom. I think Madison, Jefferson, both Adams and all the rest of the Framers would've said that's exactly what they intended when they attempted to institute a government with the least influence possible on the daily lives and relationships between people. Too bad neither government nor The People understood or supported their efforts even for a quarter of a century, but you're still describing the way they would have liked for all Americans to understand that that's how it's supposed to work in my view.

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back