Ooops. Warning for clothes wearers

Thats why I carry nekkid......

Seriously though, you really do need to watch that nothing gets inside the holster with the firearm.... This is a good reminder of why.

Need to be aware with a Glock. I carry it chambered but am aware that it can be unintentionally be fired. This police chief has now shot himself twice? Once in the hand years ago and now in the thigh? Call me Irish but I think maybe run him through handgun safety class again. They gave Barney Fife only one bullet for a reason.

Wow.. If only they carried a XD series gun with grip safety.. hehe

Sorry if your offended I find it funny - its only because its his 2nd time shooting himself, and I am glad it wasn't a major injury and didn't hurt anyone else.. etc etc..

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I pull up on any overlying articles of clothing and crane my neck around to visualize the the reholstering (since I carry at 4:00-4:30). Okay, maybe not every single time (especially if I'm practicing multiples and I know that there's nothing in the way), but pretty often.

Not to mention, you see him struggling to reholster, and that should be your first stimulus to stop/slow down and look at what's impeding an otherwise smooth action.

How come the vast majority of accidental discharges are by a Glock or other striker fired weapons?
I have always refused to own or carry any automatic handgun without an external hammer and a safety! i.e. 1911, PPK, 92FS, or my favorite FNP...
If you can't remember to turn off the safety then you have not trained enough and you should not be carrying.
These incidence just give the anti-gun people more ammunition!

OK, I will get down from my soapbox.

How come the vast majority of accidental discharges are by a Glock or other striker fired weapons?
I have always refused to own or carry any automatic handgun without an external hammer and a safety! i.e. 1911, PPK, 92FS, or my favorite FNP...
If you can't remember to turn off the safety then you have not trained enough and you should not be carrying.

How is it that millions of people can carry Glocks and other striker fired weapons for decades and never have a negligent discharge?

Nothing wrong with striker fired weapons.. The XDm I own is striker fired - it does have the grip safety though..
I am not a fan of glocks - I wanted one in the past, but now I prefer others. if my only choice was to use a glock - id still use it.. and use it well - but my preference would be for something else.. but as for defective / etc reasons - no - nothing wrong with Glocks.. However, There does seem to be a failure in training? and a for sure failure in gun safety rules with far too many glock owners.. which gives them a bad name.. i especially like the guy whose glock, sitting on the mantel of his fireplace several feet away, magically went off with no-one touching it.. but eh..

One of the gun shops I have bought the last 4 guns from - has a sign that says "if your carrying, do not remove from holster" -- because of people who play with their "locked/loaded" firearm in the store.. im sure most gun shops will work with you to test fit holsters (with a unloaded gun that matches your carry one) but unless they know you - you shouldn't be grabbing your own in-store's for any reason short of emergency..

I don't think it matters what you're particular flavor of weapon is... hammer, striker, grip safety, thumb safety. All it takes is a split second attention slip for an accidental/negligent event to occur.

It pays to really be aware. I use a unconventional holster 3Speed Holster. It works very well for me. I wear it as an appendix carry. I also in the hot Texas summers wear drawstring shorts with it. I have become very mindful of the drawstring on my shorts. I especially double check my re holstering to make sure nothing catches in the trigger guard. (also my Ruger has a manual safety, I am good with that)Link Removed

One of the reasons I purchased an XDm was that it had the grip safety. I make it a habit of placing my thumb up near the exposed striker and rear sight when I push my gun into the holster. This keeps the grip safety in the safety on position. I am very cautions and always check that nothing is in the way but I like have the little extra bit of backup that the grip safety provides.

It's easy to see why the FNP is your favorite. Many don't know, or possibly don't want to admit, the first rate quality of FNH weapons. Having a FNS40, I'm finding it difficult to find another brand in it's price range that matches or exceeds their performance.
Just can't force myself to purchase anything less than I've already have.

I carry a 1911 with a grip safety and a manuel safety and I carry with one in the chamber ( cocked and locked) and I feel safe this way.

I take a libertarian view on this issue. When I drive, I always wear a seatbelt. I dislike that agencies can ticket for non compliance. I do it because I feel it's important. Same way I know many who refuse to use a manual safety firearm. I myself am thinking of a DA/SA fir my next firearm. It would be a learning curve after shooting with a striker firearm with a manual safety.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back