Only at Wal Mart

Eidolon

Alter Kocker
Stolen gun at Walmart causes panic - News - The Fayetteville Observer - Fayetteville, NC

First let me say that I fully support a person's right to make their own decision regarding open carry. Having said that I don't think it's a good idea and it's not something I'll ever do again.

I remember about 10 years ago when Open Carry was just starting to be a thing people said that some one would steal your gun right off of you. I also remember the open carry people saying that if that was the case where were all the news stories. Well, 10 years down the road and there seems to be a new story every week.

Of all the citizen open carriers I see I've seen exactly TWO carrying in any type of retention holster. Almost across the board the people I've seen are using cheap nylon holsters or that cheap assed plastic Glock holsters. I've also noticed that (to paraphrase Tamara Keel) most of the Open Carriers I've run into tend to open carry AT YOU.

If you're going to open carry you need a retention holster and a plan for when someone tries to take that gun off of you

First let me say that I fully support a person's right to make their own decision regarding open carry. Having said that I don't think it's a good idea and it's not something I'll ever do again.
So all it would take is a few stories about concealed carry folks having their gun taken and concealed carry is something you will never do again?
... there seems to be a new story every week.
Hyperbole much?

I don't open carry for the same reason my wife does not carry a purse. Both are just tempting targets to a thief.

So all it would take is a few stories about concealed carry folks having their gun taken and concealed carry is something you will never do again?

No it took someone trying to take my gun off of my while I was in uniform to convince me that Open Carry isn't something I want to do in my private life.

Stolen gun at Walmart causes panic - News - The Fayetteville Observer - Fayetteville, NC

I remember about 10 years ago when Open Carry was just starting to be a thing people said that some one would steal your gun right off of you. I also remember the open carry people saying that if that was the case where were all the news stories. Well, 10 years down the road and there seems to be a new story every week.

Of all the citizen open carriers I see I've seen exactly TWO carrying in any type of retention holster. Almost across the board the people I've seen are using cheap nylon holsters or that cheap assed plastic Glock holsters. I've also noticed that (to paraphrase Tamara Keel) most of the Open Carriers I've run into tend to open carry AT YOU.

If you're going to open carry you need a retention holster and a plan for when someone tries to take that gun off of you
I think this really depends on location. I agree somewhat, unless you are open carrying in the woods or some desolate town you should have at least a level 2 retention holster and some decent situational awareness. Also, carry a BUG.

You neglected to answer Mainsail's second question.

What I said was hyperbole but I never stated it as fact. Having said that, I'm not sure how much hyperbole was involved. I'm sure there weren't 52 instances of an open carrier having their gun stolen since December 28 2016 but I bet there were more than the two I posted just in the last couple months.

Again if you want to open carry by all means be my guest but please do me the same courtesy if I want to think it's an unnecessary risk and abstain from the practice.

Excellent quote from pistolforum

I have yet to be able to have a rational discussion with an open carry advocate. They can't get past the idea that if one doesn't support open carry, then one must be anti-second-amendment. It is one of many examples of how gun owners are often their own worst enemy.

Whomever from Wherever said:
I have yet to be able to have a rational discussion with an open carry advocate. They can't get past the idea that if one doesn't support open carry, then one must be anti-second-amendment. It is one of many examples of how gun owners are often their own worst enemy.

In as much as the bulk of jurisdictions where there's a choice between non-permitted open carry, and mandatory permitted concealed carry, the argument is decidedly about support for the unabridged Second Amendment. As much as I believe that OC presents no added risk of losing my weapon for me, it is also the case that I OC in large part as a way of getting government one more minor step out of my life. I don't need to be taxed for using my Second Amendment rights as long as I OC. I don't need additional government-imposed background checks or record-keeping of all of my identifying information to use my Second Amendment rights as long as I OC. That's what people who refuse to consider a 2A argument because they've "secured" (or so they think) their permissions from government to carry as they otherwise would even if permits weren't required, "can't get past," which is why, I guess, such people also can't be available for rational and actual Second Amendment discussions.

I couldn't care any less how you carry, Eidolon. Nothing I've ever said can be cited that suggests I do care. Like you did in the post above the one I'm replying to, all I ever do is express my preferences for how I carry, and sometimes go into explanations that led me to those preferences. Abstain as you wish from any and all things that I do or think, that you don't do or think likewise. Honestly, there is nothing in the world that I've ever given less thought or notice to.

Blues

In as much as the bulk of jurisdictions where there's a choice between non-permitted open carry, and mandatory permitted concealed carry, the argument is decidedly about support for the unabridged Second Amendment. As much as I believe that OC presents no added risk of losing my weapon for me, it is also the case that I OC in large part as a way of getting government one more minor step out of my life. I don't need to be taxed for using my Second Amendment rights as long as I OC. I don't need additional government-imposed background checks or record-keeping of all of my identifying information to use my Second Amendment rights as long as I OC. That's what people who refuse to consider a 2A argument because they've "secured" (or so they think) their permissions from government to carry as they otherwise would even if permits weren't required, "can't get past," which is why, I guess, such people also can't be available for rational and actual Second Amendment discussions.

I couldn't care any less how you carry, Eidolon. Nothing I've ever said can be cited that suggests I do care. Like you did in the post above the one I'm replying to, all I ever do is express my preferences for how I carry, and sometimes go into explanations that led me to those preferences. Abstain as you wish from any and all things that I do or think, that you don't do or think likewise. Honestly, there is nothing in the world that I've ever given less thought or notice to.

Blues

So this is probably one of the several reasons why you advocate open carry so much, because Alabama currently does what Oklahoma tried to pass several years ago, which is constitutional open carry. Makes sense now; you don’t wanna have to buy a permit to carry- which I can understand, Oklahoma’s currently trying it again now to go full-on permit abolishment now that we have a new governor so hopefully it passes but, how do you carry in your car? Isn’t that a pain in the rear to have to unload it each time you get in? Then load it back up once you get out? You ride bikes so how does that work out with open carrying? I’m just strictly curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So this is probably one of the several reasons why you advocate open carry so much, because Alabama currently does what Oklahoma tried to pass several years ago, which is constitutional open carry. Makes sense now; you don’t wanna have to buy a permit to carry- which I can understand, Oklahoma’s currently trying it again now to go full-on permit abolishment now that we have a new governor so hopefully it passes but, how do you carry in your car? Isn’t that a pain in the rear to have to unload it each time you get in? Then load it back up once you get out? You ride bikes so how does that work out with open carrying? I’m just strictly curious.

No, you're, as usual, just strictly uninformed.

There's nothing in the Alabama Code requiring me to lock up my openly carried weapon while operating a vehicle of any kind, 2-wheeled or 4-wheeled or more.

I open carry on a bike the same way I do on the street or in my truck - either on my belt in plain view, or with a shoulder holster if it's cold and I'm wearing outerwear that would cover my belt, or on rare ocassion, on a drop-leg platform.

And of course I open carry as a way to get/keep government out of my life. It says precisely that in the post of mine you quoted. Not quite the epiphany you sound like you're describing here, is it?

Blues

No, you're, as usual, just strictly uninformed.
Well, it’s been a work in progress coming to terms with certain things. A lot of my opinions have changed since the first time you and I ever spoke to each other on here.

There's nothing in the Alabama Code requiring me to lock up my openly carried weapon while operating a vehicle of any kind, 2-wheeled or 4-wheeled or more.

I open carry on a bike the same way I do on the street or in my truck - either on my belt in plain view, or with a shoulder holster if it's cold and I'm wearing outerwear that would cover my belt, or on rare ocassion, on a drop-leg platform.

And of course I open carry as a way to get/keep government out of my life. It says precisely that in the post of mine you quoted.

Sooo, from what it says here, which I quote:

YES/NO – WITHOUT A PERMIT:

Without a permit, you can still legally carry in a vehicle but the handgun must be unloaded and locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.
You must have a Permit to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.

I looked at this and read it before I posted that last post so unless this website is wrong, I figured your freedom to open carry without a permit didn’t apply to vehicles, unless you do pay for a permit, just for that. That’s all I was asking. But if you do pay for a permit to not have to disarm and unload in your vehicle, 2-wheeled, 4-wheeled or more, doesn’t that go against keeping the government out of your life? Now if Alabama was like Texas on vehicle carry, you wouldn’t have to unload it, you just wouldn’t be able to keep it on you and out in the open. Then you wouldn’t have to have a permit at all, unless you wanted to conceal carry which, I don’t see that happening with you.

Not quite the epiphany you sound like you're describing here, is it?

Blues
Well I guess I don’t quite get how to take this, respond to it or to understand what it’s supposed to mean because I figured I was pretty clear on asking how you carried a loaded gun in your vehicle or on your bike since it clearly states you have to have a permit to do that, and how you say you only open carry because open carrying prevents you from having to buy a permit. That’s all. You still wanna be snide with me from past experiences, that’s up to you. As I’ve stated, I’ve changed a lot of my opinions. I’ve come to terms with a lot of how you, and others feel towards gun laws and am quite happy that Oklahoma is on the road to being a constitutional carry state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back