online conceal carry classes

Graylon

Anyone know if these exist. I would figure it would be very convenient. Could it be possible to take online class for different states. I don't see how you couldn't.

Can't imagine how that would work, actually. There are tons of videos around, some of them even relevant to CC, but nothing beats hands on instruction from someone who can adapt the material to the student. And what would an on-line course do about range time? A student needs as much hands on instruction there as in a classroom. Should be your choice, of course.

Don't know what state you are from, but not all states allow online training. VA does, and I did take an online class to get my non-resident VA permit (and AZ, too).

I can see online class may suffice for presenting the law and related topics. One can zone out in an online class just as easily as a rear end in the chair class.

If we accept that there is a need to demonstrate actual firearm knowledge and proficiency, it's got to be hands on.

Of course, that's not something I accept as a government mandate.

Personally I have one word for this: Ridiculous

Might as well just fill out a form and get your CCWP , if all you think it is--is a piece of paper. I found that classroom instruction with a competent instructor (in my case a Deputy Sheriff with qualifications up the kazoo) and a final written test and range/target shooting (with failure a possibility) to at least leave me and others with some degree of proficiency and knowledge of law.

Might as well just fill out a form and get your CCWP , if all you think it is--is a piece of paper. I found that classroom instruction with a competent instructor (in my case a Deputy Sheriff with qualifications up the kazoo) and a final written test and range/target shooting (with failure a possibility) to at least leave me and others with some degree of proficiency and knowledge of law.

Not necessarily, you can have someone to give the class from each state breakdown the different laws for that particular state and at the end of each session have an assesment test. As far as qualifying with a weapon I think that's optional. I didn't have to qualify. But we did shoot for familiarization. The main course of importance is the understanding of the state laws. You can take classes to show people how to shoot. But if firing qualification is needed you could designate someone at a range or at a law enforcement branch to test you.

I think it would be real easy. If I wanted to take conceal carry class to be certified in new york (I'm from arkansas) what is the difference if I'm in a class there or watching the instruction on a computer in arkansas? I'm receiving the same instruction.

I think it would make it easier on the people who follow the law... Let's face it all of us who have a license to carry are following the law. We are the only ones affected by the difficulties of carrying our fire arms because the true criminals are going to do whatever they want to do. I believe making access to the law abiding citizens easier should be taken into consideration.

There are several online CCW training courses offered by companies in VA. Several states also accept any hunter's safety course as sufficient for CCW (Arizona for one). One online course I know of, VA state approved, covers the basic types of handguns and basic safety rules. There is no mention concerning any laws, or in fact nothing CCW specific at all other than saying that most people do not carry single action revolvers when carrying concealed. It is really a basic handgun familiarization and safety lecture.

Its a bit odd to me that people will say that they believe in constitutional carry, shouldn't need a state-issued permit, and then say that short online basic safety courses don't provide sufficient training to allow someone to carry.

Last edited:
Let's face it all of us who have a license to carry are following the law.

Actually, we are doing nothing less than voluntarily succumbing to an infringement of our rights. I do it too, but I call it what it is. I only keep the permission slip because it expands places where I can carry, such as the federal 1,000' gun free zone rule, but otherwise I open carry and by doing so, I reduce the number of reasons a cop can question me about the reasons for carrying anywhere that it's legal for me to carry.

That said, I have no problem at all with entrepreneurs providing any service or product that there's a market for, whether online or anywhere else. As you and others have alluded to, online instruction can be useful for learning the law. I'd extend that to even learning theory behind basic tactics curricula, but me personally, I prefer more immediate input where classroom instruction can be demonstrated and practiced in very close time-proximity to the instruction. I've taken a lot of shooting academy courses, and found there's no substitute for putting what is learned in the classroom into hands-on training in near-immediate fashion after receiving the instruction. I also used to teach welding, both classroom and shop-training, and found the same was true - students never did as well putting theory that they learned on a Friday afternoon into practice the following Monday as the students who got the instruction on Monday morning and were putting it into practice that same afternoon.

If there's an actual market that's not forced by government overreach that requires outlays of money, time, and getting permission from it, then I'm all for it. Expanding an already-overreaching permission-slip scheme that will never rise above training to the lowest common denominator though, doesn't appeal to me on any level. If you want to learn, train. If you want to expand and then comply with a rights-violating scheme of payments and permissions to exercise your rights, perhaps your time online would be better-spent researching what your rights are, and from Whom they derive.

Blues

Might as well just fill out a form and get your CCWP , if all you think it is--is a piece of paper...
Um, all it is IS a piece of paper. If you think that the gub'ment should be determining who has the states permission to exercise their God given, Constitutionally protected rights, you might be part of the problem. Don't get me wrong, I have a permit because I am a law abiding citizen. That said I think that it and all the other gun laws are ridiculous unless you can find a way to get the criminals to follow them. As it is now, they are there to make the anti-gun-nuts feel like they are accomplishing something.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back