One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters
I find it interesting that so many of you are so ready to rock. How many on this site have actually been in a situation requiring a quick draw to a trigger pull? Even in our wild west days the gunslingers had to cock their weapon to fire.

I've been in one situation where had the badguy not bailed when he saw the gun I would have had my ass handed to me because I was carrying w/ an empty chamber "for safety" and forgot to chamber a round because I panicked.

I willl never make that mistake again

If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber you may be carrying the wrong gun, you may not understand the safety features engineered into your gun, or you don't trust yourself or your ability to produce your weapon without it somehow firing before you want it to...

While I may not "FULLY" agree with shemr's "the wrong gun" statement, it certainly could be the "wrong gun for you".
(I think that may be what was meant.)

I suggest if anyone doesn't feel comfortable carrying "+1" they should consider proper training and assessment from a professional.

...Carrying the quality self defense handgun and practice should lead to confidence that will allow you to carry a handgun that is loaded and ready. All firearms require safe handling at all times and the best safety is between your ears.

I "do" agree 100% with ^^^ this ^^^ statement.

-

For criminals are the only ones who can chose whether or not to carry a gun loaded or not due to them being the ones who are going to commit the crime.

To quote one of my last CCL instructors, "Tyrone cocked his before he left home".

Last I checked you just pull the trigger on a revolver to shoot no cocking needed. Or thats how it was done in the westerns I watched growing up. They didn't have semi-automatic handguns in the westerns I watched.

Last I checked you just pull the trigger on a revolver to shoot no cocking needed. Or thats how it was done in the westerns I watched growing up. They didn't have semi-automatic handguns in the westerns I watched.

Single-Action only revolvers: Watch the support hand on the below video. Single action only revolvers are not capable of cycling themselves. Although SA/DA were available simultaneously for a bit during the 'old-west' hollywood chose to emphasize the Single-Action Only revolvers, so it is odd that you were seeing single action/double action (SA/DA) firearms in old westerns.

From Wikipedia:
Single-action
A single-action (SA) trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.[1] Almost all rifles and shotguns use this type of trigger.[1] Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position).[2] Once the first round is fired the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911, Browning Hi-Power, and Springfield XD are single-action pistols that function in this manner.[2] Single action revolvers require the hammer to be cocked by hand every time the weapon is fired.

YouTube - Bob Munden World fastest Gun Record

ClearSightTactical,
While Bob Munden's skill at fast draw is undoubtedly impressive, a better example of fast shooting of a Single Action Army would be CAS shooters using a 2 hand hold and cocking the gun with their support hand's thumb. Fanning like Mr Munden was doing in your video requires the gun to be set up specifically for that technique. Often, it includes a modification of the hammer spur along with several internal changes to deal with the stresses that are placed on the action by the slapping of the hammer by the off hand.

Here's a link to one example:

YouTube - Deuce Stevens World Record Pistol Run

And another

Link Removed

I carry a round in the chamber of my concealed carry piece for the same reason I keep air in my spare tire. If I ever need it, I'm gonna need it ready to go right then and there, not after I get done fiddling with it.

I always carry loaded- meaning one in the pipe and the mag at full capacity. Oh, BTW, I also use a holster designed for the weapon I choose to carry. I have a Glock and would never dream of carrying that type of handgun in my waistband. That is just asking for trouble.

Carry it safe and hope you never need to use it!

The instructors that I have trained with all carry one in the chamber and they were very fast drawing their guns. I am not near as fast as some of them so I follow their lead and carry one in the chamber in a holster that covers the the trigger and guard. I also never put my finger on the trigger until I am ready to fire.

In the days of ye olde Wild West they indeed all had to cock the weapon first and usually left the chamber under the hammer empty because of accidents. But now it's 2011 and we use rather different guns with different designs and safeties.

I do not expect to have some quick draw shoutout but having to rack the slide first is just one more thing to think about in a situation where time might be short and a lot happening very quickly.

Let's all relax, everybody gets to make his choice. :pleasantry:

When I first started carrying a modern semi-automatic, I too was nervous about having it chambered. So here is a suggestion to those who are concerned with carrying with one in the pipe.
Rack your slid with out the mag in place, then insert the mag. Now go about your natural daily activity's. Then check the gun regularly to see if you have had any accidental discharges. After doing this for awhile you will start to feel safer with the internal safeties. This can also help identify if your handaling your weapon safely, and help teach you how to keep your finger off the trigger when handling your firearm. And if you do find your weapon has discharged while safely in your holster then you need to have it inspected by a competent gunsmith.
A proper holster will prevent any accidental discharges, along with proper handling.
I hope this helps. Be safe, that is priority one.

depends on what I'm carying. The Glock-yes, the LCP no;

This puzzled me. I own both, or at least the original P3AT which the LCP was copied from, and a Glock 23. I would think the Glock would be much more apt to "go off" than the LCP, unless that is, you happen to carry it in a pocket with no holster. Just wondering. :pleasantry:

This puzzled me. I own both, or at least the original P3AT which the LCP was copied from, and a Glock 23. I would think the Glock would be much more apt to "go off" than the LCP, unless that is, you happen to carry it in a pocket with no holster. Just wondering. :pleasantry:

Personally, I would think it is "MORE" important for a "bug" or "pocket" pistol to be "fully" ready to get in action.

(I guess that's just me though.)

-

When I'm carrying my LCP I always have it in a pocket holster and there is never anything else in that particular pocket. Nothing to make contact with the trigger and nothing to impede me should I have to take it out.

elteemike

No disrespect intended toward anyone who carries "empty chamber"...If you have sincerely thought it through, and didn't just get the idea 'cause "someone said" or read it somewhere on the 'Net, I respect your decision...

But ponder this...You're concerned enough about your personal safety to carry a firearm, yet then deliberately place yourself at a disadvantage "for safety"?

Whose safety are we talking about?

If you cannot carry safely with a loaded chamber, "cocked and locked" as it were in all it's various hardware-dictated permutations because you don't think you can be "safe"...

If you don't think you can rely on your equipment because you don't maintain it...

If you can't rely on your pistolcraft because you don't practice...

If you don't or can't trust your own ability to take your gun off safe as you present, or won't keep your finger off the trigger until it belongs there...

If you don't understand at a fundamental, instinctive level that the only "safety" you can really rely on is the one between your own ears...

Then I most humbly suggest anyone who fits into any of the above catagories should fundamentally rethink their decision to carry at all...

This is adult stuff, folks...AKA Serious Business!

The decision to carry a concealed weapon is not simple nor should it be spontaneous, and should never be made lightly or on a whim, but only after much self-analysis and soul-searching...This is an awesome responsibilty and power we take unto ourselves when we carry...

Before anyone brings out the flame-throwers, please allow me to simply add...I realize nobody ever knows for sure how they will react, but we CAN prepare ourselves mentally and phychologically for the potential event...THEN...

We must know ourselves and anticipate how we will likely react, and be prepared mentally and psychologically for the situations that may arise and the potential outcomes...Then train, train, and train somemore...

Then and only then, start to carry...We will be glad we did, and will then be able to take full advantage of the feeling of liberation bearing arms provides the Free Man...

Good luck, and God Bless You, All...

Cogito! Ergo Armatum Sum!

I agree with both above posters, that's why I was puzzled that Walt would say yes to one in the Glock, but no to one in the LCP. :unsure:

When I first started carrying a modern semi-automatic, I too was nervous about having it chambered. So here is a suggestion to those who are concerned with carrying with one in the pipe.
Rack your slid with out the mag in place, then insert the mag. Now go about your natural daily activity's. Then check the gun regularly to see if you have had any accidental discharges. After doing this for awhile you will start to feel safer with the internal safeties. This can also help identify if your handaling your weapon safely, and help teach you how to keep your finger off the trigger when handling your firearm. And if you do find your weapon has discharged while safely in your holster then you need to have it inspected by a competent gunsmith.
A proper holster will prevent any accidental discharges, along with proper handling.
I hope this helps. Be safe, that is priority one.

While this is a good idea, I think it may actually CAUSE a Negligent Discharge. The only way to check to see if there has been an accidental discharge (on a firearm without an external hammer) is to pull the trigger and see if it goes CLICK. Remember, the two loudest sounds in the world is a CLICK when you were expecting a BOOM and a BOOM when you were expecting a CLICK.

I don't know about others but I will NEVER dry fire a weapon unless I KNOW it is unloaded for certain. I don't mean it wasn't loaded at 8am when I put it on I mean I JUST removed the magazine and physically and visually inspected the chamber.

Not to say this idea is bad, just saying if you are going to do this maybe take a round of spent brass, put a little bit of masking tape over the primer, and at the end of the day eject the brass look at the primer (which is covered in tape) and see if the tape is dimpled....you can place the empty brass in the chamber with tape over it and pull the trigger the night before so you know what it'll look like if the firing pin did infact come in contact with the taped primer.

I was just raeding a review on Bud's where somebody ranted on about how utterly irresponsible it is to go around with a round chambered, yadayada, and that you have plenty of time to chamber one and would never need a gun anyway. I am not sure why he bought one in that case anyway. :wacko::sarcastic:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back