one-gun qualification info for anyone else who is curious

Sue Lange

So as I noted on a thread that was two different topics, the one-gun qualification is confusing a good many Sheriff's departments.

I had already gotten feed back from Jackson county, they stated they would not accept them until after 10 October 2014 because that was the 30-days from date of veto-override on SB656.

I contacted Clay and Platte County. Clay county stated they were already accepting the 1 gun qualifications and had been since August 28 2014, the effective date of SB745.

Now, I just heard from Platte County...and like Jackson County they are NOT accepting 1 gun qualification until after 10 October (you guessed it..they like SB656 better).

SO...I called the attorney general's office and asked them their interpretation. The guy that answered the phone looked up 656 first, read the language, said, Yep...it would have to be 30 days from the override, so that's 10 October.

So I said, okay, now go look up and read 745. Which he did. And he said...Huh?! They both say the same thing! I said, "exactly...so which is it?"

He said he couldn't say for sure, he'd never seen a situation where the same language was in two different bills with two different passage dates.

However, what he did note was, when the student fills in their application they sign an affidavit stating they meet the qualifications AS OF THE TIME OF THE APPLICATION not necessarily at the time they took the class. So his suggestion is, let them do a one-gun qualification and if their county is choosing 656 as the guideline, then wait until after 10 October to apply.

I can do that. Or I can let them go on and do a 2 gun shoot. But I wish our state legislature would get it together. I kind of feel sorry for our Sheriff's departments. How are they supposed to administer all this when they can't even get a straight answer? Our own AGO isn't necessarily sure, choosing instead to work around rather than answer the question.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back