Old hog farmer I worked for, 1968, had a M97 hamnmered pump 12

thru

Banned
there was a contagious disease about, killng hogs. It's spread by starling scat. So whenever he had a clear shot at a gaggle of birds on the ground, he'd fire a blast of #8 birdshot (I think it was) into them. Once he did so (on an inch of snow) at abot 60 yds, killing and wounding 14 of them with one shot. The snow showed that the pattern was SEVERAL yds wide. I ran down and shot the cripples with my .22 pistol. Pellets bouncing along the ground (or on water) really have a 'fan-like" effect!

there was a contagious disease about, killng hogs. It's spread by starling scat. So whenever he had a clear shot at a gaggle of birds on the ground, he'd fire a blast of #8 birdshot (I think it was) into them. Once he did so (on an inch of snow) at abot 60 yds, killing and wounding 14 of them with one shot. The snow showed that the pattern was SEVERAL yds wide. I ran down and shot the cripples with my .22 pistol. Pellets bouncing along the ground (or on water) really have a 'fan-like" effect!

BS! #8 shot at 60 yards you MIGHT break skin but I would bet against it. #8 shot is .090 inches containing 400 plus pellets and at 40 yards is going about 650 fps meaning if a pellet had a direct hit on a chickadee at 60 yards it MIGHT have enough force to make it move off the branch it was resting on.

A group of geese is called a gaggle, a group of crows is a murder, a group of starlings is a murmuration, a group of hens is a brood, a group of quail is a bevy, and a group of swallows is a flight. Just a heads up.

A group of geese is called a gaggle, a group of crows is a murder, a group of starlings is a murmuration, a group of hens is a brood, a group of quail is a bevy, and a group of swallows is a flight. Just a heads up.

And a True on USA Carry is a Troll.

I got a news flash for you, even at 100 yds, and # NINE shot, it will break balloons. How much power does a simple bb gun have at 30 ft, hmm? STEEL pellet like that weighs very little, and it's probably down to 200 fps by then, but it still kills birds. Just because you THINK that you 'know' something doesn't make you correct.

I got a news flash for you, even at 100 yds, and # NINE shot, it will break balloons. How much power does a simple bb gun have at 30 ft, hmm? STEEL pellet like that weighs very little, and it's probably down to 200 fps by then, but it still kills birds. Just because you THINK that you 'know' something doesn't make you correct.

Breaking a balloon and killing a bird are not the same thing. Birds have feathers over most of there body and that alone will slow a #9 pellet down more then halfway alone. 100 FPS buckshot would not take out a starling. Not only do I know it I can prove it.

BS! #8 shot at 60 yards you MIGHT break skin but I would bet against it. #8 shot is .090 inches containing 400 plus pellets and at 40 yards is going about 650 fps meaning if a pellet had a direct hit on a chickadee at 60 yards it MIGHT have enough force to make it move off the branch it was resting on.

I had a DNR cop almost write me a ticket for "shooting without a backstop" once because he was convinced the #8 we were using to break clays with was going to kill the hypothetical forest ranger walking around in the tree line over 200 yds down range. I was honestly speechless when he made that argument. I hate to admit there's somebody out there more retarded than "thru" but this guy was.

I had a DNR cop almost write me a ticket for "shooting without a backstop" once because he was convinced the #8 we were using to break clays with was going to kill the hypothetical forest ranger walking around in the tree line over 200 yds down range. I was honestly speechless when he made that argument. I hate to admit there's somebody out there more retarded than "thru" but this guy was.

LOL I had a Maine warden one tell me I had to have a backstop behind my shooting area ( on my land ) I told him there is not such law and it would not be needed as I own as far as the round can travel till it hit's the mountain and if you get shot you where where you should not have been anyway. He never came back.

100 yds is a LOT further than 60 yds, and #9 shot is a lot smaller than #8 shot, and you're just flat wrong. 00 pellet will still pierce a 1" pine board at 100 yds.making it lethal on men, much less birds.

yeh and #8 and #9 shot might make the tree loose some dirt/dust.. but it wont penetrate at 100yrds.. Or are you just ignoring everything thing learned from years of research into ballistics, the stuff where they do tests to show the effects of bullets and shot on various target mediums. Things used as targets over the years included animal / vegetable / mineral / various fluids and even a few human cadavers - however more recently its been all about ballistic gel which can be used instead of previous target mediums.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back