Oklahoma pharmacist sentenced to life

Don't forget two important things: he actually leaves the area to retrieve another gun, thereby removing himself from danger, AND he returns to continue shooting the unconscious robber who NEVER HAD A WEAPON.

In my opinion, just like many others on here, the life sentence is excessive. However I don't know the details and lot of times a life sentence doesn't always mean that or an excessive long time so I will withhold complete judgement on that. Given all that I know including watching the videos of it I do not agree with those who want him exonerated. He did not do the correct, legal or moral thing and what he did was not justified in any way. You shoot to stop the threat and sometimes you are not sure the threat has been stopped so you give it a little extra. That wasn't the case here.

I always liked the story about the lady in the liquor store where two men came in to rob them. They shot and killed her husband and theatened to kill her 12 year old son if she didn't hand over the money. She pulled out a .357 and a 9mm from under the counter and took care of the BG's. When asked why she shot them 23 times she said "That's all the bullets I had".

Does any body know if the BG was dead before being shot with the second gun? I'm not suggesting that the victime was wong, he was way wrong. But if the BG was killed as part of the self defense then the extra shots dont amount to murder, do they?

No one can imagine the kind of adrenaline that must have went threw his body at the time these thugs stuck a cannon in his face. Shots were fired and he was in survival mode. It was three against one, what makes us so righteous after the fact to judge his actions when he was defending himself and others. That SOB wanted to KILL him. Had it not been on camera he would have been a Hero. You come home late at night and walk in on the perp and your wife has been raped and her throat slit wide open, I will assure you that that perp would take a dirt nap no matter what. I hope nobody here has to go thru what this man went thru.

@OpenCarryYes: They proved it was the shots to the abdomen that killed him, not the initial shot to the head.

Does any body know if the BG was dead before being shot with the second gun? I'm not suggesting that the victime was wong, he was way wrong. But if the BG was killed as part of the self defense then the extra shots dont amount to murder, do they?

The autopsy report said that the initial shot was not fatal and that he was still alive when shot with the other gun. There are conflicting reports on how "alive" he was and what he was and could have been doing. No one will ever really know.

He overstepped commonn sence. If the BG possed no more threat, stop there. That being said, he had every write to protect himself. We don't know if these bad guys had tried to rob him or someone else before. Stress also plays a part. We don't know all the facts about the case but the video sealed his fate. I do believe 1st degree murder was a little harsh. I could see maybe manslaughter?

I think it's crap that he got life but why another gun and 5 more rounds? To call 911 while maintaining guarded control of the premises is right on. To go overboard was harsh. Having said that, if the two thug losers hadn't tried robbing the store then it wouldn't have happened.

I feel for this guys family especially if he has children. As others have stated, Once the threat is stopped, its over, Continuing to shoot is wrong.But for whatever reason he deceided to continue shooting, only he will know.I hope it gets appieled and he gets a lesser sentience.

Hey trophyhunter: My questions to you are "why?". Appealed for what reason? Even if it is appealed, what is a fair sentence for essentially murdering someone? This was first degree manslaughter if ever I heard it and it is worth at least 30 years--is that fair? Parole? Methinks that "less fortunate" individuals who do not even thinking about killing someone but manage to do so in some fit of rage etal sit in jail for equivalent time--"do the crime, do the time".

Hey trophyhunter: My questions to you are "why?". Appealed for what reason? Even if it is appealed, what is a fair sentence for essentially murdering someone? This was first degree manslaughter if ever I heard it and it is worth at least 30 years--is that fair? Parole? Methinks that "less fortunate" individuals who do not even thinking about killing someone but manage to do so in some fit of rage etal sit in jail for equivalent time--"do the crime, do the time".

Kel, the term "less fortunate" is a liberal term, but I see your point. Like I said, in this case he was in survival mode. At this point I think a pardon would be his only hope.

So I guess by that logic, who of us can rightly judge Rodney King for running from the cops and getting into a fight with them. You can't imagine what kind of adrenaline was running through his body, it was four or more against one, and he had been tazed and sprayed with mace. He was in survival mode. Can't we all just get along?

First of all I see is no logical reason to draw a parallel between the two stories. Rodney King simply acted stupidly and should have obeyed the laws and not resist arrest, his partners in crime did not resist and no incident. It looks like he just tripped and fell on his face.

Cops watched King, 46, commit "several traffic violations" while behind the wheel of a 1994 Mitsubishi before pulling him over on Tuesday afternoon, Moreno Valley, Calif., police said.
King was arrested and booked on suspicion of driving under the influence.
Cops said it wasn't clear whether King was drunk or high on drugs.

I guess he is just not teachable.

Basically, his mistake was THAT IT WAS ON HIS OWN SECURITY CAMERA, for crying out loud. If you're gonna "take out the trash" (and I have no problem with it), uh...try not to record yourelf doing it.

That said, the evidence seems clear that he went way beyond "stopping the threat". Life sentence? I wouldn't have agreed to it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back