Oklahoma Bill To Reduce CCW Age Requirement

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
An Oklahoma bill that would lower the minimum age requirements for obtaining a concealed weapon permit from 21 to 18 is headed to the state House for consideration. They are allowed to vote and join the military so why shouldn't they be allowed to go through the training everyone else has to take and carry a concealed firearm? We'll keep an eye on this to see if it passes.

Interesting but I also am very doubtful it will pass. I guess being allowed to vote and join the military doesn't include the right to buy/consume alcohol or carry a concealed weapon..... I'm not agreeing, just stating facts.....

BOOMER SOONER

The Dove

I totally agree I don't see it ever passing but with Alaska and New Hampshire's minimum age at 16 I guess anything could happen.

The Constution of the United States gives 18 year olds the right to vote which means they are according to the law ADULTS! If anyone is old enough to vote, get married, sign a contract, own property, buy a car, and be in the armed forces risking death, they are old enough to carry a gun. Imagine a 19 year old soldier who is been in combat protecting ALL of us coming home on leave and being told he(she) cant carry a gun because he(she) isnt old enough. If you are 18 you should be able to get a CCW and if you are irresponsible with the gun pay the price. By the way I am 55.

I agree totally! On the same side of the coin. If/when "they" abuse the right, I don't want to hear that they were not treated right at home, etc . etc. This is one of the areas that it might not fit for someone 18 or 88, but it IS a right. Use it and abuse, LOSE it!

Sorry, Just my view on something I've worked too long and hard to have and keep, and be on the verge of having some one in the position we've voted them into to lose it. Notice how once "the reperesentatives" of the people start representing themselves and not the people?

Clint climbs down off the soap box, folds it up and moves on down the way....

18 year olds in the Military are directly supervised by some one older, more experiended and with more trainning. Sorry but I think 21 is where the age to get a carry permit should stay. I am retired military and have two young sons, one in his early twenties and one still a teenager. I have been around and been in charge of hundreds of young men. The truth is most 18 year old are idiots......I KNOW I was. Our society does not require kids to mature and be responsible at an early age and most are not. A high percentage of 18 year olds are also still in high school, no hand gun permit needed. I understand the arguments about military service and the right to vote but we need to look at this from a common sense perspective not an emmotional one. I understand my opinion her is going to annoy some...don't really care though. A 18 year old in the military generally just has to do as he is told. 18 year old walking down main street USA has to make his own good decisions.

Dfarcher....you took the words right out of my mouth. MATURITY does not come with chronological age.. I doubt many 18 year olds are mature enough to carry a weapon in such capacity.

18 year olds in the Military are directly supervised by some one older, more experiended and with more trainning. Sorry but I think 21 is where the age to get a carry permit should stay. I am retired military and have two young sons, one in his early twenties and one still a teenager. I have been around and been in charge of hundreds of young men. The truth is most 18 year old are idiots......I KNOW I was. Our society does not require kids to mature and be responsible at an early age and most are not. A high percentage of 18 year olds are also still in high school, no hand gun permit needed. I understand the arguments about military service and the right to vote but we need to look at this from a common sense perspective not an emmotional one. I understand my opinion her is going to annoy some...don't really care though. A 18 year old in the military generally just has to do as he is told. 18 year old walking down main street USA has to make his own good decisions.

Couldn't have said it better...

I'm 49, and I sure as HELL wouldn't want a bunch of 18-year-olds like I was running around with loaded weapons. :)

The Constution of the United States gives 18 year olds the right to vote which means they are according to the law ADULTS! If anyone is old enough to vote, get married, sign a contract, own property, buy a car, and be in the armed forces risking death, they are old enough to carry a gun. Imagine a 19 year old soldier who is been in combat protecting ALL of us coming home on leave and being told he(she) cant carry a gun because he(she) isnt old enough. If you are 18 you should be able to get a CCW and if you are irresponsible with the gun pay the price. By the way I am 55.

Couldn't agree more!

I know some 30,40 & 50 year old men that aren't mature or intelligent enough to own a gun little lone carry one. Heck, it concerns me that some people on this very forum are allowed to carry a firearm. I also know some 14yr old kids that I wouldn't mind at all if they carried a firearm. (My son is one of them.)

I myself started carrying at 16 and didn't stop until the CCW laws made it illegal. In my view, you just can't make blanket statements like 18yr old "adults" aren't mature enough. If they are considered "mature" enough to fight & DIE for you & me, they should be considered old enough to carry a firearm to protect their family.

-

So, in states where the age limit to carry a firearm is 18....just where is all this blood running in the streets and where are all of their problems manifiesting themselves in reality? Hmmm.... how about some facts to back up those that don't want 18 year olds to carry just because they were not responsible enough at 18 to carry themselves?

Responsible enough to carry a firearm and drive a car, but not responsible enough to buy a beer. Aint that something

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back