OK, people give me grief for the "bulge" when I carry concealed

repeal17thamendment

govt loyalist slayer
I frankly don't have the stones to carry openly, and people give me so much grief for the "bulge" by my hip when I carry concealed and holstered, that I've concluded that MY way of carrying openly is to "bulge" carry (I just coined that phrase). I think there are benefits and downsides to carrying openly. I have concluded that "bulge" carrying solves these.

How do you concealed carry--sounds like it is OWB??? If so, consider IWB using a high-quality IWB holster. I use Tucker's "The Answer" holster, and it's very comfortable and I have never had anybody point out a bulge or otherwise indicate that I was printing or that they "made" me. Another excellent IWB holster is the Super Tuck.

Also, what is your carry firearm? I carry an XD-45C, and while it has a 4" barrel, the grip is shortened, leaving less to "bulge". It still has an 11+1 capacity, with a full-size backup magazine; more than enough rounds (one would pray) for any anticipated event.

I frankly don't have the stones to carry openly, and people give me so much grief for the "bulge" by my hip when I carry concealed and holstered, that I've concluded that MY way of carrying openly is to "bulge" carry (I just coined that phrase). I think there are benefits and downsides to carrying openly. I have concluded that "bulge" carrying solves these.

I recommend carrying something smaller then a shotgun.

Sounds like you need to get a better holster, even a good OWB (hell even a don hume) will keep the gun tight to your body and above your hip. Or get a good IWB. Lots of guys here like the crossbreed supertucks, Comp-tacs are good, I like high noon holsters as well. I know you can completely conceal a full size 1911 under an unbuttoned over shirt, so gun size shouldn't be an issue unless youre trying to conceal a desert eagle or something. The whole point of carrying concealed is to not let anyone know youre packin.

Sounds like you intentionally want people to know that you are carrying. ("Bulge Carrying")

Can you explain why that is?

Sounds like you intentionally want people to know that you are carrying. ("Bulge Carrying")

I explained that in the op

Several people are suggesting iwb. I find it very uncomfortable, plus I don't want to get new pants just for carrying.

Welcome to the site, daBluman! I don't think it's that at all. Remember he's in a state that allows OC so it doesn't matter if it's bulging or not.

I guess I just do not get what you are saying. You do not have the "stomes" to carry openly, and when you "bulge" concealed, people give you grief. What is your issue with OC?

If you want to OC then do so and eventually people will get used to the idea.

I am new to carrying and luckily I live in a county in California that is easy to get a CCW. I have had to adjust what I wear and how I dress in order to have good retention and concealment. As I have a little more weight than I should I am only able to carry OWB strong side. I am unable to carry IWB as it would be uncomfortable. I do not want people to know that I am armed until it is absolutly neccesary. The element of surprise is my too my advantage if I have to reveal my weapon.

I guess I just do not get what you are saying. You do not have the "stomes" to carry openly, and when you "bulge" concealed, people give you grief. What is your issue with OC?

If you want to OC then do so and eventually people will get used to the idea.

I am new to carrying and luckily I live in a county in California that is easy to get a CCW. I have had to adjust what I wear and how I dress in order to have good retention and concealment. As I have a little more weight than I should I am only able to carry OWB strong side. I am unable to carry IWB as it would be uncomfortable. I do not want people to know that I am armed until it is absolutly neccesary. The element of surprise is my too my advantage if I have to reveal my weapon.

Funny.

I also carry OWB with a noticeable bulge the last month or two. Even my preferred carry method of SOB bulges, probably due to my body build, and leaves me self-conscious BUT I have never caught any grief. From a couple of looks in restaurants I suspect a few folks have noticed, but in Idaho no one seems to get too excited about it. at least no one has ever said anything to me.

I'll probably go back to SOB this fall, when I start again with light vests and jackets, but increasingly the newly-coined "bulge carry" seems workable for me as well.

I am a big guy myself (270# at 6'1") and initially found IWB carrying uncomfortable too. But that is primarily due to crappy IWB holsters. If you get a supertuck or Answer IWB holster, and wear comfortably loose pants, you will be amazed at how comfortable IWB carrying can be--and totally concealed.

But if you are not willing to give that a try, then you need to get yourself a very high-quality OWB holster that will keep your firearm tight to your side and high, and wear loose fitting shirts over it. Other alternatives would be, e.g., 5.11 concealment shirts where the weapon is carried under the arm. Just makes giving any hugs a little awkward...

I do not consider myself a small guy but some people do (165lbs 5'7") I carry IWB behind my right hip (for conceal) I have not changed my clothes and I dont wear baggy clothes (not skin tight either) I dont carry a compact (S&W99 40 and I have carried my XD40 the same way). I will admit it took about 2 weeks to get use to having my weapon sit there and I always take it out of the holster when I am driving more then a few blocks. I have heard people say that with IWB they never forget the weapon is there but I actually feel half dressed with out it. I do believe that if you really wont to conceal the best way is IWB. But if you like the buldge and thats what works for you and you are comfortable I say screw what others think its your right to carry however you wanna carry and being comfortable is just as important.

The only bulge I have is in my midsection. Seriously though, you ought to look at wearing something other than a spandex shirt! :sarcastic: I wear untucked polo shirts and the work quite well at concealing the weapon. I wear owb, because I find IWB not the most comfortable form of carry. You might also want to check out SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters for a different way of concealing....it really opens up a lot of options for carrying when you need a more professional mode of dress. Welcome to the site.

I HIGHLY suggest checking out CrossBreed Super Tuck holsters. They will COMPLETELY hide a full size pistol. I carry an XD .45 Compact, and when it enters that holster, I can tuck my shirt in, and go about my business - it's GONE. Tucked or untucked, that holster is hands down the best out there.

Mark at Crossbreed has FANTASTIC customer service.

Also, get a good gun belt. Holsters only reach their full potential with a good gun belt. Crossbreed, or any holster maker can get you a good stiff belt.

I don’t know, I carry a 5' 1911 in an OWB holster and never have a problem CC. Either you have wardrobe problem or a holster problem. Unless you are trying to CC one of those AR-15 pistols! :pleasantry:

Both issues can be solved rather easily. If the holster holds the pistol high and tight in the 3 to 4 o’clock position with the butt well tucked into your side, you have a shirt that is too tight.
If the holster is loose and the butt is sticking out away from your body, a gunny sack won’t conceal it.
It would help to know what pistol and what holster you are trying to use.

But brother step into the dark side, once you OC, life is never the same.:biggrin:

We can open carry here if we choose to. I normally like to have a coat on but do open carry at times. Even with a coat though it's hard to cover a 10-1/2" barrel. Most people don't even give me a second glance around here. Dave

I recommend against OC and have my thoughts reinforced by trained people. LEO spend upwards or 40 hours training in POST and continual training while serving in weapon retention. They are constantly aware of who is on the gun side, and are trained to defend that weapon should someone try to grab it. Most of us have, myself included, haven't the training to defend our weapon should a BG decide to take it and use it against us. The advantage to concealed, only you knowing you have a self defense tool, out weigh the comfort factor of OC.

+1 on holster choice. I recommend crossbreed for the most comfortable IWB holsters available. I'm 5'8 160 and can carry a Glock 23 in a thin summer button shirt and wifey won't know I have it on.

I recommend against OC and have my thoughts reinforced by trained people. LEO spend upwards or 40 hours training in POST and continual training while serving in weapon retention. They are constantly aware of who is on the gun side, and are trained to defend that weapon should someone try to grab it. Most of us have, myself included, haven't the training to defend our weapon should a BG decide to take it and use it against us. The advantage to concealed, only you knowing you have a self defense tool, out weigh the comfort factor of OC.

+1 on holster choice. I recommend crossbreed for the most comfortable IWB holsters available. I'm 5'8 160 and can carry a Glock 23 in a thin summer button shirt and wifey won't know I have it on.

I HIGHLY suggest checking out CrossBreed Super Tuck holsters. They will COMPLETELY hide a full size pistol. I carry an XD .45 Compact, and when it enters that holster, I can tuck my shirt in, and go about my business - it's GONE. Tucked or untucked, that holster is hands down the best out there.

Mark at Crossbreed has FANTASTIC customer service.

Also, get a good gun belt. Holsters only reach their full potential with a good gun belt. Crossbreed, or any holster maker can get you a good stiff belt.

I second this....I carry a Baby Desert Eagle in .40 behind the strong side hip under a loose shirt and good belt...you hardly know it's there and completely concealed...bulges belong elsewhere! :sarcastic:

C7

You could carry one on each side, then it would just look like you have a weird body shape.:biggrin: Seriously though, like the many who have posted before me have already said, a good IWB holster will hide it away fairly comfortably. I have a Kholster and I love it. And unless you wear your pants so tight that you cant slide a couple fingers into your waistband, you shouldn't have to buy new ones.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back