OK...Fred's Out. NOW Who?

Ektarr

Dedicated Infidel
About an hour ago Fred Thompson declared he is dropping out of the Presidential race. For those of us who were Fred Fans, where do we go from here?

(PLEASE! Those who would saturate this thread with propaganda for their candidate of choice...PLEASE refrain! I'd like to hear from those of us who would have voted for Fred and get their thinking now about which way they're leaning, and why. Thanks.)

DrLewall

Charter Member
well darn! guess I have to look at one of the other ones...and there is NOTHING on the Dem side that interests me any!

Brainchild

Romny or Huckabee

I haven't decided which.
And,why?Because,of the remaining choices,they are the best,AS FAR AS I KNOW.I don't want Guliani,he is a liberal,whatever party he is in.On the issues I care about,these two,though not really good at all,are the best that are now running.Again,AS FAR AS I KNOW.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Ektarr

Dedicated Infidel
Link Removed that compares the remaining candidates' positions on the issues. It does Not compare their records! But perhaps it can be a tool for making a decision for where to go from here. Utilize the links in the Blue Box at the top of the page, pick an issue and click it, and the candidates' responses to the questions will magically appear.

Feel free to think out loud here for the benefit of the rest of us.

With Fred gone from my original top 3 (Fred Thompson, Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee) I think I'd have to go with Mike Huckabee. He has the best chance and is a match on more of the issues.

Brainchild

Thanks,Ektarr.That is some really good stuff.Stuff we need to know.
After reading that,I guess I'll go with the Huckster.I don't know alot about his record,but what he says NOW,I like.

Ektarr

Dedicated Infidel
First off, I don't want to monopolize this thread. However, at that risk, I have to say that the thought of casting a vote for the co-author of McCain-Feingold (which craps directly on the First Amendment) and a leader of the Gang of 14 goes hard against my grain. I suppose if he were cast as the Nominee I might have no other choice, but, for me, there's very little daylight between McCain and Hillary and their views.

Right now, after spending my recuperation time poring over the Internet for facts and reviews of facts, it seems to be between Huckabee and Romney, with me leaning 60/40 for Huck.

...but I'm still reading...

Red Hat

First off, I don't want to monopolize this thread. However, at that risk, I have to say that the thought of casting a vote for the co-author of McCain-Feingold (which craps directly on the First Amendment) and a leader of the Gang of 14 goes hard against my grain. I suppose if he were cast as the Nominee I might have no other choice, but, for me, there's very little daylight between McCain and Hillary and their views.

Right now, after spending my recuperation time poring over the Internet for facts and reviews of facts, it seems to be between Huckabee and Romney, with me leaning 60/40 for Huck.

I still can't get over McCain winning SC! However, he only got around 34% of the vote and Huckabee got 29%. If it was just between the two Huckabee would have won. (just an opinion) If McCain pulls it out for the nomination I probably won't vote in the general election. I made a pledge that I won't vote for a Democrat and I trust him as much as I do a Democrat. So I guess I'll try to get my $100 back, double it and send it to Huck! ;)

Ektarr, before considering Romney you may want to read the following:

Link Removed

Danno

I still can't get over McCain winning SC! However, he only got around 34% of the vote and Huckabee got 29%. If it was just between the two Huckabee would have won. (just an opinion) If McCain pulls it out for the nomination I probably won't vote in the general election. I made a pledge that I won't vote for a Democrat and I trust him as much as I do a Democrat. So I guess I'll try to get my $100 back, double it and send it to Huck! ;)

I cannot agree more! After 2000, I can't believe that McCain won SC - I personally voted for Mike Huckabee. I do like Fred and Ron, but i didn't think either of them had enough support to make it... I refuse to vote for McCain - even if he does end up being the Republican candidate. I'll write in a candidate first.

HK4U

who to support

I cannot agree more! After 2000, I can't believe that McCain won SC - I personally voted for Mike Huckabee. I do like Fred and Ron, but i didn't think either of them had enough support to make it... I refuse to vote for McCain - even if he does end up being the Republican candidate. I'll write in a candidate first.

I'll write in a candidate first. +1 for me.

LVLouisCyphre

Obama is a mack daddy!
Flip a coin...

Unfortunately Romney will be a better choice than Clinton or Obama. Because of the Mormon vote, Romney will get ID, UT and possibly WY along with any other states with a large Mormon population. That's how Romney took Nevada. Ironically Sin City was founded by Mormons and they are a very strong factory here. :rolleyes:

As long as we keep Congress in check we won't see any new gun control legislation at the federal level. Remember, new machine gun purchases were outlawed when Reagan was in office. We got the Firearm Owner Protection Act, but we ended up losing the right for civilians to purchase new machine guns on or after May 19, 1986. There's some contention on whether or not the Hughes Amendment which was the poison the the FOPA when it was voted in was legal.

Ron Paul and Fred Thompson would be ideal choices for the country as a whole, however I don't see them making it past the caucuses and primaries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisapeterson1