Ohio State Fair

gkeil961

Just was wondering if anyone was aware if you are allowed to carry at the Ohio State Fair? I checked the website and it says no illegal weapons, but having a permit means it is not illegal.

I have emailed them asking them, just waiting on a response.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is totally legal to CCW at the Ohio State Fair if you have a valid CHL. It has been legal to do so for several years. You just have to stay out of the barns, merchant buildings, etc. You can carry in the restroom/shelter buildings that are free standing. You can carry anywhere out of doors on the fairgrounds and in the parking lots. You can also legally store your weapon in your car if you desire.

They do have metal detectors at the gates that you must pass through. The purpose of them is to wean out the punks & gangsters that are illegally packing hardware. When you go through the metal detector, it will go off. Immediately step up to the state trooper (who will be staring at you) and inform him/her that you are licensed and packing. He/she may or may not ask to see your ‘papers’. They will then let you pass (probably after giving you erroneous, outdated information/instructions about where you can and cannot carry your gun on the fairgrounds.

You will see gunbuster signs at the entry gates. But those signs have different wording on them than the gunbuster signs you are accustomed to seeing. They printed these signs with different wording specifically for the fair to read “it is illegal to carry into the buildings”. This wording does not prevent you from carrying on the outdoor property. With the change in Ohio law a little while back, you can now also carry into buildings used solely for restrooms, shelter, & parking.

I got a response back from them.....they said that it is NOT legal to carry on their premises, including parking lot

Who exactly answered your question because it doesn't sound like they know the law? Government cannot post open air places like parks and parking lots. Only government buildings can be legally off limits and even some buildings like stand alone restrooms are specifically listed as legal.

Here's the law that says government buildings are off-limits. Notice the exceptions after the phrase "and that is not..."

(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

It was a customer service rep, they states they have several signs prohibiting firearms on property including parking lots.....hmmmmmm

The "customer service rep" has no clue...... If they would actually got out and READ the sign that is there it would say "Unless Otherwise Permitted By Law" or something to that affect........

Another thing to think about.... You could also legally open carry there....... And, I believe that you could actually carry into some or most of the buildings that you cant if you are concealed, but I dont want to be the test case.... My reasoning for this is 1. Ohio is an open carry state, no laws make it illegal to open carry.... 2. the "laws" that regulate concealed carry apply ONLY to conceal carry, and specifically DO NOT APPLY to open carry. 3. This is where I put in the disclaimer, lol..... I believe... IMO...as far as I know.... the ONLY places specifically spelled out in OH Code/Law are prisons and court houses..... Oh yeh, carrying weapons in vehicles is also regulated....( I purposely left out bars/restaurants, because the law that allows it, while not yet in effect, will be soon )

But, Like I said, I do NOT want to be a test case, lol I carry openly most of the time, and have had a few run-ins with ignorant cops, and did NOT let them intimidate me into covering up.. But this would be pushing it even for me.

Most of the places which might be legal for OC but not CC are listed in the section of the law titled "Duties of a licensed individual", since that section applies specifically to individuals with a CHL

Schools zones are also off-limits to OC. People that OC need to carefully read each law regarding carry to see what wording is used.

The school zone law says "no deadly weapons". That says both Open and Concealed carry would be illegal.

If the law says "no firearms" then both Open and Concealed carry are illegal. This is the current case with carrying into liquor establishments.

Open carrying while walking along (and not leaving the actual sidewalk) a public sidewalk across the street from, but still within 1000 ft of school property is legal.

Open carrying while walking along (and not leaving the actual sidewalk) a public sidewalk across the street from, but still within 1000 ft of school property is legal.

Correct because of the definition of "school safety zone" in ORC. However, federal law defines "school safety zone" to include the 1000' extension from school property. I'm not aware of any open carrier ever being prosecuted under Federal law, but as a technicality, they could be.

A letter from the AG specifically states you can on grounds, but not in a building.
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/e24cc4c5-6b03-45bb-bb7e-7fc29412189a/2005-015.aspx

3. A board of county commissioners may not prohibit a person licensed to
carry a concealed handgun under R.C. 2923.125 or R.C. 2923.1213 from
carrying a concealed handgun on property that is not within a building

Quote: The Honorable Martin P. Votel
In addition, a board of county commissioners may not prohibit a person licensed to carry
a concealed handgun under R.C. 2923.125 or R.C. 2923.1213 from carrying a concealed
handgun on property that is not within a building. Charging a fee for admission to an event on
property that is not within a building does not permit a board of county commissioners to
prohibit a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun
under R.C. 2923.125 or R.C. 2923.1213
from carrying a concealed handgun on the property.

IANAL**by reading this post you acknowledge and agree that laws and regulations may change , and that it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure that you are current and in compliance with all local, state and federal laws when carrying, concealing, and using a firearm. In no way are any of the posters posts legal advice.

Im at the fair right now, spoke with an Ohio Trooper at the gate and he assured me that both CCW and open carry are legal, but as we all should know, not allowed in the buildings since they are state owned.

Just was wondering if anyone was aware if you are allowed to carry at the Ohio State Fair? I checked the website and it says no illegal weapons, but having a permit means it is not illegal.

The signs don't stop criminals, I don't see why they should stop anyone else. Always carry, never tell.

I carry concealed regardless. No euligy should begin with "X is dead but at least I obeyed the law...".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back