Ohio Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
Renewal requirements?

Luke, do you know of any of the specifics for renewal of the Ohio permit? Mine is up in 2 months. If you want to email me you can.

Luke, do you know of any of the specifics for renewal of the Ohio permit? Mine is up in 2 months. If you want to email me you can.

Here you go. I just updated the page with this info.

You may renew your license 90 days prior to expiration and 30 days after expiration. You have a grace period of thirty days after the license expires during which your license remains valid. If your initial required competency training is over six (6) years old then you must take another one and pass it.

You must complete the CCW application. A set of fingerprints will either be rolled or scanned. Your photograph will be taken. The renewal fee will be collected or a waiver will be noted. The certificate of competency (less than six years old) or the renewal competency certificate must be presented to the Sheriff.

Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun can be issued in your county of residence or any adjacent county. Although the law requires the sherrif to issue the license within 45 days, each sherrif makes his own policy with respect to hours when applications are accepted and response time.

Here is a site containing user supplied information to provide statistics on response time. Just select your county of residence and the site gives you the response time statistics for it as well as all its adjacent counties. And a map to the sherrif's office.

http://ccwhen.com/

Enjoy

Places off-limits when carrying:
• Public schools

Both public and private schools are off-limits.

[I want to also add there are a lot of changes to Ohio's CCW/ gun laws that will take effect on September 9th].

Last edited:
I notice some of the Sept. 9 changes have not yet made it to the Ohio page.

Under "Automobile carry" it should be noted that glove compartments no longer need to be locked and that "vehicle consoles" have also been added to the legal places one can carry a loaded handgun. The actual verbiage is:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

Also under "Automobile carry" it should be noted that the following legal definition of unloaded was added to the law:

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.

Basically, there is no legal way to transport loaded rifle magazines (along with the rifle they fit) in a motor vehicle in Ohio. In addition, only those with concealed handgun licenses can carry loaded handgun magazines (along with the handgun they fit) in a motor vehicle. The handgun itself still has to be transported by the licensee in one of the legal methods mentioned in the law.

Under "Renewal information", the following has been changed:

Instead of "You may renew your license 90 days prior to expiration and 30 days after expiration", the law now allows renewal indefinitely after the license expires.

(F)(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff...

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.125 Application and licensing process.

Also, for the first renewal only, one's current license is proof of a "competency certificate".

(a) If the licensee previously has not renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section, proof that the licensee at one time had a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section . A valid license is prima-facie evidence that the licensee at one time had a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section.

Subsequent renewals will require a renewed competency certificate but that certificate can be gotten without retaking the training class. One need only to take a test proving "range competency".

(b) If the licensee previously has renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section, a renewed competency certification of the type described in division (G)(4) of this section .

If the person previously has received a competency certification or previously has received a renewed competency certification , the person may obtain a renewed competency certification from an entity that offers a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section by passing a test that demonstrates that the person is range competent. In these circumstances, the person is not required to attend the course, class, or program or to take the competency examination described in division (G)(2) of this section for the renewed competency certification in order to be eligible to receive a renewed competency certification.

The verbiage saying that a competency certificate was good for six years has been removed.

Last edited:
The vehicle carry law is definitely better than it was when the CCW law was first passed, but it could be improved. For instance, in every other shall issue state that I'm aware of, licensees can carry however they want. In Ohio, only on your person, the glovebox, the console, or some kind of box or contained that is locked. If I'm reading this correctly, this still means you can't carry under the seat or in a vehicle mounted holster if that's how you choose.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Ohio is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand-your-ground law.

Technically, Ohio doesn't have a "stand-your-ground" law.

The Castle Doctrine law that took effect September 9 has three parts:

1. Civil liability protection: this applies anywhere in the state.

Lawriter - ORC - 2307.60 Civil action for damages for criminal act.

2. No duty to retreat: this only applies in one's residence or vehicle. This restriction is why we technically don't have a stand-your-ground law. Outside one's residence or vehicle, one still has a duty to retreat.

Lawriter - ORC - 2307.601 No duty to retreat in residence or vehicle.

3. Presumption of innocence: this is also restricted to a residence or vehicle.

Lawriter - ORC - 2901.05 Burden of proof - reasonable doubt - self-defense.

The Ohio law info on the first page of this thread needs some major updating now that restaurant cazrry is legal and the silly car carry rules have gone away.

The Ohio page needs serious updating and does not reflect bills that have passed in several years.

For instance:

You may renew your license 90 days prior to expiration and 30 days after expiration. You have a grace period of thirty days after the license expires during which your license remains valid. If your initial required competency training is over six (6) years old then you must take another one and pass it.

"30 days after expiration" is incorrect. An expired license can be renewed indefinitely. There is no longer a time limit in the law.

If your initial required competency training is over six (6) years old then you must take another one and pass it.

Training certificates are good for three years to get your first license. Once you have your first license they are no longer needed. For your first renewal, your license is all that is needed and is your proof of prior training.

As for second (and subsequent) renewals, no one has done that yet. All the law says is that proof of "range competency" will be required. The law does not define "range competency" so each trainer is free to come up with his/her own definition.

f you are planning on carrying a concealed handgun while driving:Have your concealed carry license and another piece of valid government identifcation in your possession.

Make sure the handgun is:
• In a holster secured on your person, or
• In a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in
plain sight and has a closing mechanism such as a zipper, snap or buckle, or
• Securely encased by being stored in a closed, glove compartment or vehicle console, or
• Locked in a case.

All these required methods of car carry were removed from the law as of 9/30/11. A concealed carry licensee can carry a loaded handgun in any way he/she desires.

Ohio is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand-your-ground law.

Ohio does not have a stand-your-ground law. It does have a Castle Doctrine which only applies to your home and your vehicle. Outside of those two places you still have a duty to retreat.

Finally, as of 9/30/11, concealed carry licensees can legally carry in class D establishments that are serving alcohol for consumption. However, to stay legal they may not consume any alcohol nor be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.

On March 27, 2013, House Bill 495 took effect with the following changes to the law:

1. No range competency certificate is required for the second or subsequent renewals of an Ohio Concealed Handgun License.

2. The legal definition of "unloaded" for motor vehicle transportation of firearms was changed such that loaded magazines or speedloaders no longer make a gun "loaded" even though they were not in the gun. As long as the new vehicle transportation laws are properly followed, loaded magazines and speedloaders are legal in a motor vehicle. Note that those possessing a Concealed Handgun License have more options for transporting magazines and speedloaders legally than those without a CHL.

Ohio gun owners should review this section of Ohio law for further info:

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

ohio law pages needs updating

Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything.

Hi. About a year ago our OH law for carry inside a car was changed to allow a CHL holder to have their loaded gun ANYWHERE IN THE VEHICLE. Your page for Ohio shows it only allowed on the person in a holder, in a box, or glovebox.

We can have it sitting open on the passenger seat if we wish; maybe not a good idea if fast braking required or pasenger window down, but non the less, e restrictions on location were totally removed.

Please update Ohio - about 5 different places need it.

Thank you

Renewal requirements?

You can
Unless Ohio will except your Florida permit as proof of training, you will need to take whatever class that Ohio requires. Basically you are applying for a new Ohio CCW
Unless Ohio will except your Florida permit as proof of training, you will need to take whatever class that Ohio requires. Basically you are applying for a new Ohio CCW permit.
This has turned into an interesting question. I've called three Sheriff's offices and the Ohio Attorney's office and can't get a definitive answer from anyone. The OAG's office told me to contact a lawyer😂
I'm suggesting they take a legal Ohio Concealed Carry class.
Another question...... Can you carry a Fla. CCW license with an Ohio driver's license?
Yes you can! Reciprocity allows the license to be valid until it expires then the requirement is taking the Ohio 8 hour class to apply for the Ohio license

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back