Ohio Minister Shot Dead Near Kentucky Church

HK4U

Once again we are reminded that evil is everywhere and there is no place absolutely safe. Carry every place.:sad:

Link Removed

Police: Ohio minister shot dead near Ky. church
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print 2 hrs 31 mins agoCOVINGTON, Ky. – A gunman fatally shot a Cincinnati minister and wounded a church deacon just after the two men arrived at a northern Kentucky church to attend a funeral, police said.

Court records in Hamilton County, Ohio, revealed a yearlong dispute between the accused gunman and the minister, the Rev. Donald Fairbanks Sr.

Fairbanks and Dowdell Cobb were shot just before 11 a.m. Saturday, police said. The gunman chased one of the men to a nearby park, where he shot the man a second time, said Lee Russo, the police chief in Covington, Ky.

It was unclear which of the men was shot in the park.

Frederick L. Davis, of Covington, quickly surrendered to police and was charged with murder, first degree assault, criminal mischief and violating an emergency protection order. He was being held without bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday. A Kenton County, Ky., jail representative said Davis had no attorney listed.

Fairbanks, pastor of Cincinnati's New St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, died later Saturday at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Covington, authorities said. Cobb, a deacon at the church, was treated at University Hospital in Cincinnati. A hospital spokesman declined to release information on Cobb's condition.

In June 2007, Fairbanks filed a complaint accusing Davis of making a threatening phone call to his wife, records showed. Davis, 40, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in October 2007, and a judge sentenced him to a year probation and ordered him to stay away from Fairbanks and New St. Paul Baptist Church.

Fairbanks and Cobb had hoped to attend the funeral of a 71-year-old woman who was related to a member of New St. Paul's congregation. Officials at Covington's Ninth Street Baptist Church went ahead with an abbreviated service for the woman after the shooting.

"To think that somebody would have total disregard for the family," the Rev. Richard Fowler, Ninth Street's pastor, said of the gunman. "They're already bereaved over the loss of a family member."

___

Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer, Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati News | Cincinnati.Com

Simply, totally, and unbelievably awful!:sad::sad::sad: That's why I don't put on my robe or sash until I'm inside the church, and why my nephew doesn't put on his Sheriff's uniform until he's inside the county building walls. There are some terribly kooky and quacky people out there!

That is very unfortunate. I certainly do not expect that to happen at my church, but I do stick my Kel-Tec in my pocket before I go.

I am unsure how to deal w/ this situation. In my state, Ohio ( not confusion ) we can carry in church if we have the pastor's permission. Anyone got any insight how to go about asking the padre? or would, "Hey, i need permission to carry in church LEGALLY, so do you mind?" I guess, I just have to build up the courage to ask him. He knows I carry, having seen my empty holster a few times. Plus, he is a pretty avid outdsoorsman. If I conceal it properly (which I do) you cannot tell, I just want to keep it legal. (which is why we r the good guys, & they r the bad guys)
..... We ARE considered sheep in the Good Book, so, would that REALLY make me a sheepdog if I watch over "the flock"? :meeting:
..............ANY THOUGHTS? .............

It happened in a church in Tennessee earlier this year...

Link Removed

It happened at a Wal*Mart in October of this year, too...

Link Removed

It can happen anywhere, anytime, by anyone. It will happen especially, and most often, when and where we don't expect it to happen. We should always be expecting something. We should always be alert, in at least yellow or orange mode, ready to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Can we ever let down our guard no matter if we are sitting in church or shopping afterward? :nono: I think not.

I am unsure how to deal w/ this situation. In my state, Ohio ( not confusion ) we can carry in church if we have the pastor's permission. Anyone got any insight how to go about asking the padre? or would, "Hey, i need permission to carry in church LEGALLY, so do you mind?" I guess, I just have to build up the courage to ask him. He knows I carry, having seen my empty holster a few times. Plus, he is a pretty avid outdsoorsman. If I conceal it properly (which I do) you cannot tell, I just want to keep it legal. (which is why we r the good guys, & they r the bad guys)
..... We ARE considered sheep in the Good Book, so, would that REALLY make me a sheepdog if I watch over "the flock"? :meeting:
..............ANY THOUGHTS? .............

Communications between a parishoner and clergy are privlleged. If the SHTF and your firearm saves lives, I'm sure that your pastor won't be ratting you out. :wink:

gf

Communications between a parishoner and clergy are privlleged. If the SHTF and your firearm saves lives, I'm sure that your pastor won't be ratting you out. :wink:

gf

Why do you feel that you even have to ask? That said, I believe that the worst he/she can say is, "No." Then, our choices would be to attend unarmed, or cc anyway while attending, or find another church. I preach armed. I'd never tell a parishioner to not carry in my church, or not to carry anywhere. Yet, every church is different and I'm thinking that most ministers are pacifists, n'est pas? They don't believe that violence can settle violence. The problem there: BGs don't think that way. I sure don't believe that a minister who would try to be a human barrier between a BG with a firearm and one's congregation is the answer, either, because except for during "Meet and Greet," most ministers do not stand near the entrances to preach. But, don't tell the BGs that!:secret:

Why do you feel that you even have to ask? That said, I believe that the worst he/she can say is, "No." Then, our choices would be to attend unarmed, or cc anyway while attending, or find another church. I preach armed. I'd never tell a parishioner to not carry in my church, or not to carry anywhere. Yet, every church is different and I'm thinking that most ministers are pacifists, n'est pas? They don't believe that violence can settle violence. The problem there: BGs don't think that way. I sure don't believe that a minister who would try to be a human barrier between a BG with a firearm and one's congregation is the answer, either, because except for during "Meet and Greet," most ministers do not stand near the entrances to preach. But, don't tell the BGs that!:secret:

I'd be very careful using the word "never". Let's suppose a "Barney Fife" type attended your church. Would you not be concerned about him carrying in your church? :eek: Another example would be the town drunk. You know the guy's been drinking, and his judgement is questionable, would you let him carry in church?

Remember that this is a public forum. Anything you post here may one day come back and bite you when you least expect it.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not intended to be a lecture or degrading in any way. I am not using the OP as a "whipping post".

gf

True, I could have said "almost never" and maybe I should have said it that way. There are usually always exceptions. I might have said that to anyone who has a valid ccw.

:eek:fftopic: As well, no problem, sorry for any earlier misunderstandings.

Come to Pleasant View Baptist Church in McQuady, KY. If you are NOT carrying don't worry, most everyone else is.:sarcastic:

Here in UT there is a list of the churches on the BCI website that prohibit concealed carry. The pastor just has to put the name of his church on the website and its all taken care of. Criminal safe zone. As of today the only churches that are on that list are all LDS.

Upon my arrival here I was having a conversation with my pastor and mentioned that I carry on a regular basis. He seemed intrigued and asked a few more detailed questions. That's when I told him it would be legal for someone to carry in our church, even if they were not a member. I told him that if he wanted to prevent strangers from carrying in the church he should put the church on the list at BCI. He said he would never do a thing like that.

A few weeks later he called me up and asked if I could get him some information on certified instructors possibly hosting a class at church. Next thing I know... our Senior pastor, his son, one of our elders, our greeter and a few members were permit holders.

I guess I don't need to worry about a lack of firepower should something like this happen in our church!!:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back