Oh my God that's graphic!!

I don't know, but it was a fine excuse to show off a very fine looking piece o hardware. Beautiful!

Did anyone see the USCCA magazine cover with the dad with the baby sleeping on his chest and a pistol on his belt?

Last edited by a moderator:
KimberPB:

Here's the photo I was talking about.

gf

toyshooting22conversion.jpg

At 4 years old...

Well, I'll be darned. This is my "open my eyes and learn something new for today!" I probably would have bet the ranch that I'd never see someone so young handling a firearm. I guess we all have our pre-judgments - mine, because of this picture, was to change my thinking about a 4 year old handling a shotgun, discussed on another in-house thread. So, what is a conversion kit and how does it help a 4 year old shoot a full sized pistol? How well is he able to handle the recoil? I bet, because he's your kid, he's already an expert sharpshooter, or well on his way! WTG: GF 1 and GF2!

Well, I'll be darned. This is my "open my eyes and learn something new for today!" I probably would have bet the ranch that I'd never see someone so young handling a firearm. I guess we all have our pre-judgments - mine, because of this picture, was to change my thinking about a 4 year old handling a shotgun, discussed on another in-house thread. So, what is a conversion kit and how does it help a 4 year old shoot a full sized pistol? How well is he able to handle the recoil? I bet, because he's your kid, he's already an expert sharpshooter, or well on his way! WTG: GF 1 and GF2!

I think the conversion kit he's talking about is a .22 lr kit. I've even looked at some for my Kimber. Basically its a new slide, springs, barrel, and mag. You pop off the original slide, slip this one on, and you're shooting .22 out of you favorite pistol.

I don't think a 4 year old would have a problem handling the recoil of a .22 lr. Now a shotgun is a different story.

LOL .... Well, I showed her GF's pic. About the reaction I expected. She looked at the pic then busted out with "Thats just a baby.... a baby. How could anyone let a baby handle a gun? There is no need for a baby to have a gun.... Bla Bla" Don't worry GF I stuck up for ya. I said "I think you are missing the big picture. Under the proper supervision, GF's introducing his little one to the world of shooting and guns. Teaching not only how to properly handle a firearm but respect it. But the thing I think is the greatest is just the fact that a father is taking his child out and spending quality time and allowing him to share in his hobby." Then I asked "I'm sure you love it when your husband spends time with your daughter doing a hobby they like, right?" After a few moments of silence all I got was "I still don't like it!"

LOL Thanks GF for the use of your pic!

LOL .... Well, I showed her GF's pic. About the reaction I expected. She looked at the pic then busted out with "Thats just a baby.... a baby. How could anyone let a baby handle a gun? There is no need for a baby to have a gun.... Bla Bla" Don't worry GF I stuck up for ya. I said "I think you are missing the big picture. Under the proper supervision, GF's introducing his little one to the world of shooting and guns. Teaching not only how to properly handle a firearm but respect it. But the thing I think is the greatest is just the fact that a father is taking his child out and spending quality time and allowing him to share in his hobby." Then I asked "I'm sure you love it when your husband spends time with your daughter doing a hobby they like, right?" After a few moments of silence all I got was "I still don't like it!"

Kimber some people will never get it. I'll bet she has nothing against letting her child sit in front of T.V. absorbing all the garbage but would recoil if the child saw a gun.

The "conversion kit" is made by a company called "Advantage Arms" Advantage Arms Inc. - Handgun Conversion Kits - Official Manufacturer Site This allows you to shoot .22LR ammo through most Glock and 1911 model pistols. I started him out on the .22LR as this is the caliber used for all students in my NRA Basic Pistol classes.

He enjoys shooting a real gun and though his cousins say stuff like "that's bad" or "that's dangerous", we know that deep down inside that they're just jealous and would go shooting with us if mommy and daddy would let them. :wink:

gf

Thanks for the attempt at "educating" her Kimber. :smile: Little does she realize that this is one "baby" that respects firearms (won't point even a water gun at someone), will handle a firearm only with adult supervison (he scolds me if I leave an empty holster or mag on my bed), and knows what to do if he finds a firearm in the house (He's been reading his "Eddie Eagle" material). My goal is to ensure that my child NEVER becomes a statistic. Though there's no guarantees in life, I'm confident that if he's ever in a situation where he or his friends find a gun in a house, he'll do the right thing or at least get outta there so he's not injured.

As HK said, some folks NEVER get it. It's sad that they probably find it funny or entertaining seeing folks get shot at on television. What's worse is they probably allow their children watch the same programs witout any explanaiton of what's "right" and what's not. Some children are even under the impression that if they get shot it's like in the video games and they'll get a "do over". :nono: Very sad society that we're living in.

Don't know if what I'm doing with my little one is "right" but I do know that it's working. What got me is one day while he was playing with his cousin and the cousin flagged him with a suction cup dart gun. He grabbed the cousin's hand and pointed it at the target and said something like "Hey, point in a safe place please". The look on the cousin's mother's face was worth a million bucks. :wink:

gf

Thanks for the attempt at "educating" her Kimber. :smile: Little does she realize that this is one "baby" that respects firearms (won't point even a water gun at someone), will handle a firearm only with adult supervison (he scolds me if I leave an empty holster or mag on my bed), and knows what to do if he finds a firearm in the house (He's been reading his "Eddie Eagle" material). My goal is to ensure that my child NEVER becomes a statistic. Though there's no guarantees in life, I'm confident that if he's ever in a situation where he or his friends find a gun in a house, he'll do the right thing or at least get outta there so he's not injured.

As HK said, some folks NEVER get it. It's sad that they probably find it funny or entertaining seeing folks get shot at on television. What's worse is they probably allow their children watch the same programs witout any explanaiton of what's "right" and what's not. Some children are even under the impression that if they get shot it's like in the video games and they'll get a "do over". :nono: Very sad society that we're living in.

Don't know if what I'm doing with my little one is "right" but I do know that it's working. What got me is one day while he was playing with his cousin and the cousin flagged him with a suction cup dart gun. He grabbed the cousin's hand and pointed it at the target and said something like "Hey, point in a safe place please". The look on the cousin's mother's face was worth a million bucks. :wink:

gf

Sounds like you're doing a fine job GF. I grew up under the same teaching as your son and to this day I still remember the day I pointed a revolver replica cap gun at a friend. My dad very quickly put me in my place. I explained to him it was just a toy but was told if it looks like a gun it’s treated like a real gun. I actually got into this awhile back with the same co-worker. She felt that since there will never be a gun in her house that her daughter did not need to be educated on them. I bought up the point that there may not be a gun in her house but what about her daughter’s school? Other family members? Or her friends houses? By educating and teaching them to respect firearms, like you, I think it greatly reduces the likely hood your child will be a statistic. But she didn't agree. Lol go figure.

On a side note as more proof of this. I was over at a friends house who has a young son (8 I believe) last year for a get together. One of the other ladies (very anti) brought her son who I think was a year older. To teach his son responsibility he had given him an airsoft rifle and allowed him to keep it in his room. There were rules setup and if any were broken the gun would be removed. I was out in the living room talking to my buddy when his son come running out and said that the other boy wouldn't listen to him and was trying to get to the airsoft gun. Then said that he hid the bbs so it couldn't be loaded and came and got his dad. Needless to say I was impressed.

I found the following on Hoplophobia.

Link Removed

HOPLOPHOBIA (The Fear of Guns)
HOPLOPHOBIA
A modern scourge.

From gunlaws.com / Bloomfield Press

Hoplophobia, n. Irrational, morbid fear of guns (c. 1980, coined by Col. Jeff Cooper, from the Greek hoplites, weapon; see his book Principles of Personal Defense). May cause sweating, faintness, discomfort, rapid pulse, nausea, sleeplessness, nondescript fears, more, at mere thought of guns. Presence of working firearms may cause panic attack. Hoplophobe, hoplophobic.

Hoplophobes are common and should never be involved in setting gun policies. Point out hoplophobic behavior when noticed, it is dangerous, sufferers deserve pity, and should seek treatment. When confronted about their condition, hoplophobes typically go into denial, a common characteristic of the affliction. Sometimes helped by training, or by coaching at a range, a process known to psychiatry as "desensitization," a useful methodology in treating many phobias.

Hoplophobic behavior is often obvious from self-evident irrational responses to real-life situations, and is frequently seen in the news media and public debate. When a criminal commits a crime using a gun, hoplophobes often seek to disarm, or make lists of, innocent people who didn't do anything, an irrational suggestion.

The idea of creating an enormously expensive government-run 90-million-name database of legitimate gun owners -- which by definition would not include armed criminals -- is a prime example of an irrational hoplophobic response to the issue of crime. How the writing of your name in such a list would help stop crime is never even addressed. (See, "The Only Question About Gun Registration")

An effort is underway nationally to have hoplophobia recognized in the DSM, the official directory of mental ailments. Resistance from elements in the medical profession suggest this may be quite difficult, but that does not reduce the importance of recognizing a widespread, virulent, detrimental mental condition commonly found in the populace. The actual number of undiagnosed hoplophobes is unknown, but believed to be in the tens of millions.

Read Dr. Sarah Thompson's brilliant essay on the medical nature of this afflicition, the article that got the ball rolling on serious medical study of a condition affecting millions of Americans.

Hoplophobes are dangerous. They should not be involved in setting public policy.
Hoplophobes are victims. They are sick and need help.
Hoplophobes deserve sympathy. It's not their fault they are afflicted.
Hoplophobes should seek treatment. Help shoot for a cure.

To teach his son responsibility he had given him an airsoft rifle and allowed him to keep it in his room. There were rules setup and if any were broken the gun would be removed. I was out in the living room talking to my buddy when his son come running out and said that the other boy wouldn't listen to him and was trying to get to the airsoft gun. Then said that he hid the bbs so it couldn't be loaded and came and got his dad. Needless to say I was impressed.

Looks like the boy was practicing "safe storage practices" by storing the ammo separate from the airsoft gun. Parents don't realize that an airsoft gun can cause serious injury if handled improperly. I'm glad the boy was taught well by his father. Next step is to get him an ammo can or something where he can lock up the airsoft ammo for safe storage and keep "unauthorized persons" from accessing it. :wink:

gf

I'm sitting at work plug'n way when a co-work walks by and say "Oh my God that's graphic!" like she just saw some guys head get ripped off. I turn to see what shes talking about and she's looking at my computer background of the new pistol I just picked up. I asked what was so graphic about it and she just replied "I don't know it just scary looking I guess." Very sad I can get a reaction like that over a simple picture of my pistol! Maybe I'm missing something. Any of you see the below pic as being "Graphic" or "Scary"?

HPIM0464.jpg

The only scary thing I see is you haven't thrown away that Kimber magazine yet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back