Off-duty cop's pistol accidentally fires at gun show, injuring retired officer

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
A retired St. Paul police officer was wounded Saturday when a pistol belonging to an off-duty Minneapolis police officer accidentally discharged at a gun show.

Both men were working security at the Minneapolis Gun Show at the Minneapolis Convention Center when the accident happened about 1:15 p.m., said Minneapolis police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia.

The semi-automatic pistol went off when the holster got caught on a chair that the Minneapolis officer was either leaning back on or getting off of, Garcia said.

One bullet hit the floor and fragmented pieces struck the retired officer in the leg and hand, Garcia said. He was treated for a small wound and released Saturday.

A bullet fragment also grazed the Minneapolis police officer's pant leg. The officer, who has been on the force for more than 20 years, was not injured.

Garcia called the incident a "freak accident."

"You could probably sit in the chair 10,000 times and it will never happen again," he said.

The retired officer was working for a private security firm hired by the gun show, while the off-duty officer was hired by the convention center, Garcia said. Both men were near a check-in table that was set up to make sure guns were inoperable, he said.

Minneapolis police will do an internal investigation, which will include an examination of the gun and holster, Garcia said. But because the incident is considered an accident, the department will not consider any discipline, he added.

Minneapolis officers keep the safety switch off when carrying guns in a holster, Garcia said.

"When you need it, you need it," he said. "Every split second counts."

Most people inside the convention center were unaware of the incident, Garcia said.

"There was a cheerleader show and a dog show going on there, too, and it was business as usual afterward," he said. "I'm sure 90 percent of those there didn't even know it happened."

Source: TwinCities

If this incident didn't involve police officers, the "offender" would've been considered "reckless and irresponsible"- probably resulting in prosecution. Just happy that no serious injuries occurred.

Last edited:
Chances are it was one of the following (from the MPD Policy Manual):

All sworn MPD employees are required to carry a primary handgun while in uniform.

Beretta semi-automatic pistols
Smith and Wesson semi-automatic pistols
Heckler and Koch (HK) semi-automatic pistols
Sig-Sauer semi-automatic pistols
All primary handguns carried by MPD sworn employees must have the following features:

Double-action/single-action mechanism with safety-decocking lever for the Beretta, Smith and Wesson and HK.
Double-action/single-action mechanism with decocking lever for the Sig-Sauer.
Must be one of the currently authorized caliber, 9mm, .40 cal or .45 cal.

A retired St. Paul police officer was wounded Saturday when a pistol belonging to an off-duty Minneapolis police officer accidentally discharged at a gun show.

Both men were working security at the Minneapolis Gun Show at the Minneapolis Convention Center when the accident happened about 1:15 p.m., said Minneapolis police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia.

The semi-automatic pistol went off when the holster got caught on a chair that the Minneapolis officer was either leaning back on or getting off of, Garcia said.

One bullet hit the floor and fragmented pieces struck the retired officer in the leg and hand, Garcia said. He was treated for a small wound and released Saturday.

A bullet fragment also grazed the Minneapolis police officer's pant leg. The officer, who has been on the force for more than 20 years, was not injured.

Garcia called the incident a "freak accident."

"You could probably sit in the chair 10,000 times and it will never happen again," he said.

The retired officer was working for a private security firm hired by the gun show, while the off-duty officer was hired by the convention center, Garcia said. Both men were near a check-in table that was set up to make sure guns were inoperable, he said.

Minneapolis police will do an internal investigation, which will include an examination of the gun and holster, Garcia said. But because the incident is considered an accident, the department will not consider any discipline, he added.

Minneapolis officers keep the safety switch off when carrying guns in a holster, Garcia said.

"When you need it, you need it," he said. "Every split second counts."

Most people inside the convention center were unaware of the incident, Garcia said.

"There was a cheerleader show and a dog show going on there, too, and it was business as usual afterward," he said. "I'm sure 90 percent of those there didn't even know it happened."

Source: TwinCities

I curious as to how a holstered pistol gets caught on a chair, then discharges. I'm thinking there was something very wrong with the firearm and the hammer was snagged and slammed forward, causing the discharge. This is a good example of the benefit of striker fired semi-autos. (Like a Glock) :wink:

"Freak accident" maybe, defective firearm, more likely.

I have a BIG problem with sworn LEO walking around with a holstered firearm that has a manual safety and they're NOT USING IT! The "split seconds" can be saved with proper training. The "when you need it, you need it" is a very poor explanation in an attempt to cover up "poor training". :nono:

I'm glad that nobody was seriously injured. It could have been a lot worse. :eek: It will be very interesting to hear the outcome of the internal investigation.

gf

Some charges are warranted

A few months ago almost the exact same thing happed here in Ohio. A guy had an AD, the bullet hit the floot and fragments from the tile floor gave minor injuries to 2 women standing nearby.

The guy was charged with seveal things. I believe they were all misdemeanors.

While I don't think this officer shold be drawn and quartered, he should face the same ramifications as anyone else.

A few months ago almost the exact same thing happed here in Ohio. A guy had an AD, the bullet hit the floot and fragments from the tile floor gave minor injuries to 2 women standing nearby.

The guy was charged with seveal things. I believe they were all misdemeanors.

While I don't think this officer shold be drawn and quartered, he should face the same ramifications as anyone else.

Ahh... but you must remember that he is the only one in this room professional enough....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back