OCing and CCW Badges

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thread wreaks of b2's "common sense logic"...

Maybe he missed the 5 posts that said badges represent authority not a firearm.

Because the more money I spend on CCW badges, the less money I have to buy reloading components. I would rather reload more than have a CCW badge to wear.

Is this really a discussion if you want a badge get 1 In my state your not Impersonating a LEO unless you have something that states your an LEO you may actualy deter a crime if im a security officer with my badge am I joke or a wannabe? I would still have the same power as anyone else I don't OC not interested I don't wear a badge not interested but to each his own

A CC badge is for someone who wants to ride the line on impersonating. a LEO, bottom line.

I OC for ease of access, I promise you I can draw faster than you can from concealment.

A CC badge is for someone who wants to ride the line on impersonating. a LEO, bottom line.

I OC for ease of access, I promise you I can draw faster than you can from concealment.

Famous last words. This isn't the old west. There is always somebody out there who's better you, or luckier. Do you think you can draw and get a shot off vs somebody who already has their gun pointed at you?? Besides......it's kinda hard to draw if somebody comes up behind you and, without warning, cracks you in the back of the head and takes your piece while you're lying on the ground.

B2Tall:227191 said:

Famous last words. This isn't the old west. There is always somebody out there who's better you, or luckier. Do you think you can draw and get a shot off vs somebody who already has their gun pointed at you?? Besides......it's kinda hard to draw if somebody comes up behind you and, without warning, cracks you in the back of the head and takes your piece while you're lying on the ground.

Because CC means they won't be pointing their gun at you or come up behind you to have the upper hand...it only happens to OC...all one time...and no one unarmed or concealing has ever had a gun pointed at them...because bad guys give their unarmed victims a chance to defend themselves...

Famous last words. This isn't the old west. There is always somebody out there who's better you, or luckier. Do you think you can draw and get a shot off vs somebody who already has their gun pointed at you??

Funny how concealed carry does NOTHING to change those odds....

For Utah the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification states that permit holders should not possess or display badges. This is what was presented to us in Instructor training: "U.C.A. 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge... or a reasonable facsimile... with the intent to induce another to submit to or rely on his pretended official authority..."

If someone wants to wear a badge they should go to the police academy.

Correct. At the moment, badges can only get you in trouble. If you are caught with one, a nice LEO MIGHT just take it away from you and give you a warning. If you caused trouble with it, it ain't going that easy. :fie:

To go with the CC badge I would get the t-shirt that says "I'm with stupid" (with arrow pointing straight up).

You do not need the T-shirt...with a CCW badge everyone already knows that...:biggrin: No offense meant, just can't help but to comment.

I don't know.... Florida almost passed open carry, with the condition that the person's firearms permit be clearly displayed along with the gun.... but, then again politician and stupid kinda goes without saying as well.

The NRA even picked up on it...
Link Removed

Incorrect. Let me clarify: I was asking if OCers that go to a city or state where OCing is prohibited (but CC is legal), would they go ahead and CC but wear the CC badge in order to let people know that they're packing. After all, isn't that one of the primary reasons for OCing - to deter crime by making it known that you're armed??.....The badge acts as a substitute deterrant.

Then it's basically the same argument as CCWing with a badge minus the OC component. Imo a bad idea that can bring possible grief to the wearer in several ways.
I also see it as just another way for people who have too much ego invested in carrying a gun to aggrandize themselves.

Incorrect. Let me clarify: I was asking if OCers that go to a city or state where OCing is prohibited (but CC is legal), would they go ahead and CC but wear the CC badge in order to let people know that they're packing. After all, isn't that one of the primary reasons for OCing - to deter crime by making it known that you're armed??

Example: John Smith OCs all the time in his home state. One of the reasons he OCs is for what he perceives as a deterrant factor. He's going to Florida where OC is prohibited but his CC permit is honored. Mr. Smith will CC while in Florida and, in lieu of having a visible pistol on his hip to act as a deterrant, he'll wear a concealed carry badge in plain view. His reason for doing this is so that potential BGs will see the badge and, knowing he's armed, walk away.

Get it? The badge acts as a substitute deterrant.

To answer your question, NO! Deterring crime by making it known you are armed is NOT one of the primary reasons for open carry. Open carry is for being able to go armed when it is not possible to carry concealed. A distant second reason is to desensitize the general public to the idea of firearms. The ideal scene would not be to have everybody going openly armed but rather to have everybody carrying concealed. That way those who choose not to arm themselves gain the benefit of the criminals' not knowing who is armed and who is not. Open carry means the BG's most successful mode of attack will be the ambush, which tends to negate the benefit of open carry. It's all about strategy.

Also, the last thing I want to do is add to a responding officer's stress by making him have to decipher the design/colors of a shield. Why make it harder than it has to be? Shield = LEO, period.

To answer your question, NO! Deterring crime by making it known you are armed is NOT one of the primary reasons for open carry. Open carry is for being able to go armed when it is not possible to carry concealed. A distant second reason is to desensitize the general public to the idea of firearms. The ideal scene would not be to have everybody going openly armed but rather to have everybody carrying concealed. That way those who choose not to arm themselves gain the benefit of the criminals' not knowing who is armed and who is not. Open carry means the BG's most successful mode of attack will be the ambush, which tends to negate the benefit of open carry. It's all about strategy.

Also, the last thing I want to do is add to a responding officer's stress by making him have to decipher the design/colors of a shield. Why make it harder than it has to be? Shield = LEO, period.

Spoken like a true concealed carrier! I'm sorry, my friend, MY main reason for open carry is to deter the criminal. Please don't try to tell me or others why I open carry. My reason has NOTHING to do with my lack of ability to conceal carry because I have a CPL and I can conceal my gun anytime I want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back