OC' er stops robbery just by being visibly armed.

Happened when I was in college. A group of my fraternity brothers were heading out to go shooting in one person's Jeep. Full of weapons. Stopped at 7-11 on the way. Saw a car parked immediately in front, back-end-in, engine running. Saw a shady looking epitome of "poor white trash" (complete in "wife beater" T-shirt) going in, looking around the store nervously, and another in the driver's seat of the car.

My brothers strapped their handguns to their hips (not exactly uncommon in the small town in Arizona,) and walked in together. One brother stayed in the Jeep, parked right next to the "getaway car," making very obvious motions of checking the rifles in the back with him. (Including at least one M1 Garand and one SKS, not entirely sure what everyone else brought - I met them at the shooting site, so wasn't present for this fun.)

After my brothers went in, they gave the perp the evil eye, and watched the perp look them up and down. They saw the clerk look at them and breathe a sigh of relief. (The clerk could obviously tell which one was bad news, and which were good news.) The perp left in a hurry, got in "the getaway car," and they left.

My brothers followed. They went to ANOTHER 7-11 (well, one or both might have been "Circle K"s instead, same idea,) and repeated. This time the perps left as soon as they realized that my brothers had followed them. At this point, one brother told the clerk to call 911 and report the suspicious activity, gave the license plate. This time, they drove into a residential neighborhood. After following them for a few blocks, my brothers broke off. (This was before most people had cell phones, I don't think any of my brothers had one, so they couldn't call to update.)

My brothers then came to the shooting site, laughing like mad, and told the rest of us what happened. From that day on, my fraternity acquired the nickname "The Prescott Militia".

too bad it wasn't a CC'er or we'd have some dead robbers who wouldn't be committing any more. That and a **** load of saving $$$ by not having to prosecute/imprison the dirtbags

Officer: Your not gonna see any Canton crap outta us.

LOL, for heavens sake thats some funny stuff there! So there is proof that OC will stop issues from happening. Good for you. I refuse to be a troll because, hey, Im in the OC areas of the forum.

ccc:231467 said:
too bad it wasn't a CC'er or we'd have some dead robbers who wouldn't be committing any more. That and a **** load of saving $$$ by not having to prosecute/imprison the dirtbags

More CC judge, jury, executioner mentality. I'm glad most CC only people here have more sense than that.

Beau:231458 said:
What???????? This can't be possible. We all know that robbers would just shoot the OC' er, take his gun and rob the store with it.

OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter.

This is the group of individuals that others claim as being the one percent of bad guys that won't be afraid of OC. Gang members, in numbers, overpowering anyone they see....guess they are wrong there too.

More proof for OC....should I even ask for proof from the other side? .......lol

One thing that bothers me every time, if the situation had gone bad, and the OC had to use his firearm, and had a Ccw permit, the news article would say, "a firearm owner had to use his firearm tonight. He has his Ccw permit, and was legally carrying." This would automatically post under CC proof even though no form of carry was mentioned. At least I notice this with most articles in favour of CC...there is no actual form of carry mentioned. I'm glad the OP purposefully mentions carry method.

Dats kew. Chaulk one up for the OC crowd, although I have yet to understand why there's competition between the OC'ers and the CC'ers. I prefer CC, another prefers OC but I bet we both would get along just fine after giving this all some thought.

Last edited:
tuts40:231614 said:
Dats kew. Chaulk one up for the OC crowd, although I have yet to understand why there's competition between the OC'ers and the CC'ers. I prefer CC, another prefers OC but I bet we both would get along just fine after giving this all some thought.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced that the sheepdog thing can always be a good idea although every once in awhile the sheepdoger's can chaulk one up as well, and dat's kew to!

I feel as if us OC are always on the defense...not competing.

Where did the story have a sheepdog in it? Im not seeing a sheepdog that is actively going out to bust gangs or protect convenient stores. Just a being in the right place at the right time.

What???????? This can't be possible. We all know that robbers would just shoot the OC' er, take his gun and rob the store with it.

OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter.

Wow. Amazing story. And no doubt 100% true since it was in an internet forum. I mean, there's no way somebody would make up a story like that, right....no matter how self-serving and "convenient" it sounds. I think he left out the part where he was given a commendation from the governor and the keys to the city as well.

People on the internet don't just make stuff up in order to support their POV, do they??

Reminds me of the time when I was in line at the supermarket and some guy hits an OCer in the back of the head with a pork tenderloin, takes his gun and says "I wasn't planning on robbing anyone today but since I saw this guy's gun....."

True story.

I swear.

People on the internet don't just make stuff up in order to support their POV, do they??

You mean like you'll get shot first if you don't hide your gun, or one or more criminals will take your gun from you because they want it if you don't hide your gun? I know you can't be referring to making stuff up like that to support a POV.

I feel as if us OC are always on the defense...not competing.

Where did the story have a sheepdog in it? Im not seeing a sheepdog that is actively going out to bust gangs or protect convenient stores. Just a being in the right place at the right time.

Yup, you are right. I am guilty of scanning the link's story and NOT carefully reading it. I'll go back and remove the comment...

I read Ed Hurtley's posting and before going back to re-read the linked story I commented mistakenly on Ed's sheepdogging. My bad...

You mean like you'll get shot first if you don't hide your gun, or one or more criminals will take your gun from you because they want it if you don't hide your gun? I know you can't be referring to making stuff up like that to support a POV.

LOL its so sad and funny at the same time...

Why do we always end up in the same place with these discussions? It's maddening.

Most of us are reasonable humans. Forget you are a responsible CCer or OCer for a minute. Pretend you're some thug. Are you really going to go pick a fight with someone because he's wearing a pistol? Really? Even being around guns my whole life, seeing one out in public, on a cop or even a mere mortal, always sends the tiniest "danger" message to my brain.

The only people I can see being provoked into attacking an OCer are gangstas looking for trouble anyway, or black-clad ninjitsu-like international jewel thieves who have been planning a million-dollar heist using high-dollar tactical equipment they have been training with for the past eighteen months and who are not going to let Joe Opencarry ruin their perfect getaway.

And don't even throw around the "element of surprise" discussion. The only person who is ever surprised in these situations is YOU. SURPRISE you've got to shoot some dirtbag today, and dammit, you had other, more important things on your agenda. And you know what? You're going to get the job done if you're open carrying, concealed carrying, or carrying a friggin sack of potatoes.

The debate on OC and CC will no doubt go on forever. Oklahoma is now going through the motions once again to make it an OC state. BRAVO! I have NO problem with OC. I just prefer to CC. But you may bet your life on one thing for sure, If I am there, CC or OC, you will have my backup if the semi solid body waste hits the rotating air circulating equipment! We are all out for the same goal......TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY FROM THE BG'S, STOP THE GANG BANG INTIMIDATION AND VIOLENCE. I hope everyone shares this opinion. Makes me think of our government offices....aren't we all supposed to be FOR America????????

ccc:231467 said:

Lol no 50...well maybe...but this is ccc for sure...

TROLL TROLL TROLL

(One post as of this writing.)

No argument on OC or CC from me.....it's all about firearms freedom! OC is not an option in the PRMA.....but if I could, I would. Until that day comes, I'll be content with CC. I love going to NH and VT....I get to OC there.

surfcc:233882 said:
No argument on OC or CC from me.....it's all about firearms freedom! OC is not an option in the PRMA.....but if I could, I would. Until that day comes, I'll be content with CC. I love going to NH and VT....I get to OC there.

Non residents can OC with no permit in KY too. Just an FYI if youre ever passing through.

The debate on OC and CC will no doubt go on forever.

Now there's the truth of it. When I originally started working on getting my permit, my first thought was it doesnt matter if I OC or CC, we are all one in this community. Its almost interesting on how human nature has taken us from "we are here for self defense" to the "my way is better than yours" mentality. Even though, it is a good argument to have because:

1. Ignorance is bliss (and Im so very guilty of this one!!)

2. It reminds me that I need more practice and training.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back