NYS Seven Round Ammo Limit

RET.FD.CAPT.

I was at the Dutchess County Sheriff's office last week dropping of a pistol permit application for my wife and asked about the ridiculous Safe Act law of only allowing seven rounds of ammo in a magazine. The woman that worked there told me she just heard that ten rounds is going to be allowed again. I don't believe that she would give me inaccurate information, but I can not find any information anywhere on this change. Does anyone have any conclusive information? Thanks.

I was at the Dutchess County Sheriff's office last week dropping of a pistol permit application for my wife and asked about the ridiculous Safe Act law of only allowing seven rounds of ammo in a magazine. The woman that worked there told me she just heard that ten rounds is going to be allowed again. I don't believe that she would give me inaccurate information, but I can not find any information anywhere on this change. Does anyone have any conclusive information? Thanks.

It doesn't give the relevant case citations, but the following story does quote the opinion of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that overturned the 7-round limit:

...“But, the seven-round limit fails the relevant test because the purported link between the ban and the state’s interest is tenuous, strained, and unsupported in the record,” he continued in the 54-page ruling.

That article is dated as, "Published 2:28 p.m. ET Dec. 31, 2013," and updated only once later that same day, so the 10-round limit has been in effect for at least that long.

Other reports that I found described the 7-round limit as having been "laughed out of the courtroom." Hard to believe that the Second Circuit actually stumbled upon a Second Amendment infringement in NY (or any of its other state-responsibilities for that matter) that it found "laughable" to the degree of unconstitutionality, while at the same time upholding a ban on the most popular single rifle (the AR-15) in American history. Apparently the woman who told you that she "just heard" that 10-rounders will be allowed "again" is somewhere in the neighborhood of four years behind the curve. If her Sheriff was keeping that myth alive, you and your county-wide constituent base should keep that in mind when his/her next election rolls around.

Blues

Thanks for the info, I just found this on the NYS Safe Act website:

The Act included a high-capacity magazine provision, provided that beginning on April 15, 2013, only magazines with a capacity of seven rounds could legally be sold in New York.[11] The Act allowed ten-round magazines purchased before that date, but made it illegal to load more than seven rounds of ammunition into a ten-round magazine, except "at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association."[11] Historic or antique guns (defined as those manufactured more than fifty years ago) were exempt from this requirement.[11] The magazine provisions were struck down by Judge Skretny in 2013,[13] and this ruling was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in 2015, making it so "gun owners can legally load 10 rounds in a 10-round magazine."[10] Neither the Act nor the subsequent court cases affected New York's pre-existing ten-round magazine limit.[11] The Act does not place a limit on the number of magazines that individuals could purchase at any one time.[11]

It actually started out worse than that. The NYS Safe Act originally banned 10 round magazines, when the all knowing Gov. Cuomo found out that 7 round magazines were not available he had to settle for max of 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Luckily I am finding that it has been struck down and we are back to 10 in 10.

It actually started out worse than that. The NYS Safe Act originally banned 10 round magazines, when the all knowing Gov. Cuomo found out that 7 round magazines were not available he had to settle for max of 7 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Luckily I am finding that it has been struck down and we are back to 10 in 10.

Luckily?

How about 10 + 1, or is it 9 + 1?

Fortunately I don't have to count my boolets, and carry 17 + 1.

Not trying to show support for this silly regulation but there are pistols that only have 7-round magazines. My Ruger LC9S is one of them.

Correct, but if NYS kept the original law of only using a seven round magazine, then many semi autos already owned would be rendered useless due to the unavailability of the magazines.

Since the law specifies magazine capacity I would believe it is 10 + 1. As far as "luckily", it's true here, Like California, NY is overwhelmed with a large population of liberals concentrated in a small area (NYC) of the state, most elections go their way. Even when Republicans win they are RINOS, Bloomberg for one.

My thoughts exactly, but then I think those of us that support our constitutional rights think differently than most politicians.

Im wondering for those of you in capacity limit states how much that plays a part in the firearm you purchase? Throughout different forums Im regularly seeing guys buying say 15 round guns with say 10 round mags for there state and I wonder why. Just had me thinking that I would either buy a smaller gun that fits the same limit or a larger caliber gun that fits the limit and not so much an oversized gun where im wasting much of it.

Not trying to show support for this silly regulation but there are pistols that only have 7-round magazines. My Ruger LC9S is one of them.

What's your point?
Because a gun is made that will only take 7 rounds... it's ok? We should ALL be ok with seven rounds?
How about this instead...

Tell the damn "Guberment" to keep their grubby hands off of a Right they are EXPRESSLY forbidden from touching?
How's that for a thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not trying to show support for this silly regulation... but there are pistols that only have 7-round magazines. My Ruger LC9S is one of them.

What's your point?
Wow, no childish meme to do the speakin' for ya this time, huh? I'm shocked....[emoji50]

Just can't keep your foot outta your mouth, can ya.

Just what exactly is YOUR point, tho?? We have to make a specific point that meets your approval before we can post? I don't think so.

Because a gun is made that will only take 7 rounds... it's ok?
When did I ever say that was ok? What I said up there in bold wasn't enough for ya? Guess not. But then again, look who I'm talking too.
We should ALL be ok with seven rounds?
Again, why do you think I'm advocating handguns need not hold more than 7 rounds? People like you never cease to amaze me. It's always amazing to see where people like you will pull stuff like this from, outta their backside or outta thin air.

How about this instead...
No, how about THIS....... instead. How bout's you just leave my posts be if this is the best you can do to make valid arguments? I mean, did you literally fall out of the ignorant tree and bounce off every limb on the way down?

Tell the damn "Guberment" to keep their grubby hands off of a Right they are EXPRESSLY forbidden from touching?
How's that for a thought?

Go grab your picket sign and have at it.

Better yet, how bout you just go preach your BS to someone who cares to listen to it. Nothing that I said in the above quoted post of mine that I said long before you came bombarding in this discussion, needed this kind of lecturing from a cantankerous blowhard such as yourself.

Wow, no childish meme to do the speakin' for ya this time, huh? I'm shocked....[emoji50]

Just can't keep your foot outta your mouth, can ya.

Just what exactly is YOUR point, tho?? We have to make a specific point that meets your approval before we can post? I don't think so.

When did I ever say that was ok? What I said up there in bold wasn't enough for ya? Guess not. But then again, look who I'm talking too.

Again, why do you think I'm advocating handguns need not hold more than 7 rounds? People like you never cease to amaze me. It's always amazing to see where people like you will pull stuff like this from, outta their backside or outta thin air.

No, how about THIS....... instead. How bout's you just leave my posts be if this is the best you can do to make valid arguments? I mean, did you literally fall out of the ignorant tree and bounce off every limb on the way down?

Go grab your picket sign and have at it.

Better yet, how bout you just go preach your BS to someone who cares to listen to it. Nothing that I said in the above quoted post of mine that I said long before you came bombarding in this discussion, needed this kind of lecturing from a cantankerous blowhard such as yourself.

a8abfa47f6fcf0d5011804834fa937b0.jpg

a8abfa47f6fcf0d5011804834fa937b0.jpg

There it is. I figured eventually the, "I-can't-never-come-up-with-nothin'-else-better-to-say-so-I'm-gonna-say-it-with-a-goofy-picture", meme was comin'. At least it's a meme I have yet to see. That's a shocker. Usually you're too damned lazy to find new ones.

But since you asked, pretty much every post made by you makes me shake my head. Kinda startin to wonder if you're firing on all 8 or if just not all your dogs are barkin'.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back