NYS NR Permit

JohnNY

Hi I thought I new most of the New York State laws but I guess not. A guy I work with who has a NYS permit-Ulster county. is moving to South Carolina. He called up the county clerk to ask how to turn in his permit when he moves. She said why would you do that. Here is the kicker. She said that once you establish a South Carolina residency , call the county clerk and fill out a form and you will be issed a NYS permit withe new SC resindency. But it must be done within 60 days.

please. do tell.

I am leaving this hell hole of a state, but because my family is here, I would love to be able to retain my "right" to self defense in NY legally even after I move.

There is no provision in NY State law at this time for someone that has residency outside of NY State to have a NY Permit. I wish there would be, but that is not the case. Whomever you talked to is either unaware of this fact (which would get the guy in trouble) or ignorant of the laws.

If you live outside the state 51% of the time, then that state is your residence and you are no longer a NY resident. Don't risk it

There is no provision in NY State law at this time for someone that has residency outside of NY State to have a NY Permit. I wish there would be, but that is not the case. Whomever you talked to is either unaware of this fact (which would get the guy in trouble) or ignorant of the laws.

If you live outside the state 51% of the time, then that state is your residence and you are no longer a NY resident. Don't risk it

So as a recently relocated resident of NY, it's best to just not say anything? I still have a DBA filed in Dutchess County, so I was thinking I should just use that address. I'm planning on getting my TX carry permit anyway, since it would allow me to carry in more states anyway... I'm just glad the NY permit is honored in TX to allow me time to make the transfer.

Now that there's talk of enacting registration periods for NY CC permits, it might be academic anyway. I just don't see why I should give up the permit if it never expires, especially since I don't remember reading anything about having to surrender it if I moved out of state. I still have ties to NY, and would be annoyed if I had to lose the permit.

You have to notify the county within i thought 45 days of any change of address. I thought it said that right on my permit, but i guess not. They won't issue a permit to a non-resident, but if the county is willing to change the address on your permit to an out of state address, i say take it! :dance3:

I remember reading somewhere that there is no set rules on surrendering a permit if you leave the state, other than notifying them of your change of address. I can see how each county would treat it differently, and would guess that most would revoke the permit if you move out of the state.

This is what it says on the Dutchess county Sheriff's webiste:

1. If you change your address within Dutchess County, you must come to the Pistol License Office in person to amend your license within 10 days.
  2. If you move to a different county within New York State, the Dutchess County Clerk must be instructed by you to transfer your records to your new county. A written request must be provided disclosing your old address, pistol license number, new address and new telephone number. The request must be mailed or brought to: Dutchess County Clerk, 22 Market Street 2nd floor, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601. Each county will charge a fee, currently the fee charged is $5.00…$10.00 total.
  3. If you move out of New York State, your handguns should be shipped from a FFL Dealer in New York State to a FFL Dealer in your new State.* A receipt should be brought to the Pistol Permit Office to remove the guns from your New York State Permit. You should check the licensing requirements in your new state

Update------my co-worker who lived in Ulster county with a NYS permit now is a resident of SC. He turned in paperwork to Ulster county upon moving and now has a NYS non-resident permit with his new SC address, belive it or not!

NYS-Non Residence Permit

Update------my co-worker who lived in Ulster county with a NYS permit now is a resident of SC. He turned in paperwork to Ulster county upon moving and now has a NYS non-resident permit with his new SC address, belive it or not!

New York State does not have a NON Residence Permit. once your primary place of residence changes to another state. the NYS Permit is no longer valid. NYS on issues permit's to applicants that resides in the state.

This is what it says on the Dutchess county Sheriff's webiste:

[*] If you move out of New York State, your handguns should be shipped from a FFL Dealer in New York State to a FFL Dealer in your new State.* A receipt should be brought to the Pistol Permit Office to remove the guns from your New York State Permit. You should check the licensing requirements in your new state
[/LIST]

Why would one do that? You're not selling the guns...? Just transport them yourself....

Similar discussion here.

There have been cases where business owners were allowed to obtain non-resident permits. I am somewhat hesitant to believe that this was allowed in Ulster County. There has been a recent crackdown on the permit system in Ulster County. There was even talk of only issuing premise permits with range and hunting privileges, not restricted concealed carry permits. It this is true, it is great news. It needs to be verified though.

NY Penal Law Article 400 Section 1:

1. Eligibility. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this
section except by the licensing officer, and then only after
investigation and finding that all statements in a proper application
for a license are true. No license shall be issued or renewed except for
an applicant (a) twenty-one years of age or older, provided, however,
that where such applicant has been honorably discharged from the United
States army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard, or the
national guard of the state of New York, no such age restriction shall
apply; (b) of good moral character; (c) who has not been convicted
anywhere of a felony or a serious offense; (d) who has stated whether he
or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any
hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness; (e) who
has not had a license revoked or who is not under a suspension or
ineligibility order issued pursuant to the provisions of section 530.14
of the criminal procedure law or section eight hundred forty-two-a of
the family court act; (f) in the county of Westchester, who has
successfully completed a firearms safety course and test as evidenced by
a certificate of completion issued in his or her name and endorsed and
affirmed under the penalties of perjury by a duly authorized instructor,
except that: (i) persons who are honorably discharged from the United
States army, navy, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard
of the state of New York, and produce evidence of official qualification
in firearms during the term of service are not required to have
completed those hours of a firearms safety course pertaining to the safe
use, carrying, possession, maintenance and storage of a firearm; and
(ii) persons who were licensed to possess a pistol or revolver prior to
the effective date of this paragraph are not required to have completed
a firearms safety course and test; and (g) concerning whom no good cause
exists for the denial of the license. No person shall engage in the
business of gunsmith or dealer in firearms unless licensed pursuant to
this section. An applicant to engage in such business shall also be a
citizen of the United States, more than twenty-one years of age and
maintain a place of business in the city or county where the license is
issued. For such business, if the applicant is a firm or partnership,
each member thereof shall comply with all of the requirements set forth
in this subdivision and if the applicant is a corporation, each officer
thereof shall so comply.

No where in this Section is "NY State residency" an eligibility requirement.

NY Penal Law Article 400 Section 7:

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall,
except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the
superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess a pistol
or revolver shall have attached the licensee`s photograph, and a coupon
which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
to the licensee. Such license shall specify the weapon covered by
calibre, make, model, manufacturer`s name and serial number, or if none,
by any other distinguishing number or identification mark, and shall
indicate whether issued to carry on the person or possess on the
premises, and if on the premises shall also specify the place where the
licensee shall possess the same. If such license is issued to an alien,
or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the
licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for
the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good
character of the applicant.
Any license as gunsmith or dealer in
firearms shall mention and describe the premises for which it is issued
and shall be valid only for such premises.

Looks to me like it's up to the licensing officer in the county, and has to state right on the license why a non-resident has rec'd it and the names of their references. Probably not all that common, but, by law, can happen. At least, that's the way it reads to me.

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall,
except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the
superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess a pistol
or revolver shall have attached the licensee`s photograph, and a coupon
which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
to the licensee. Such license shall specify the weapon covered by
calibre, make, model, manufacturer`s name and serial number, or if none,
by any other distinguishing number or identification mark, and shall
indicate whether issued to carry on the person or possess on the
premises, and if on the premises shall also specify the place where the
licensee shall possess the same. If such license is issued to an alien,
or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the
licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for
the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good
character of the applicant. Any license as gunsmith or dealer in
firearms shall mention and describe the premises for which it is issued
and shall be valid only for such premises.

How big is this license that is has a place for all of those possible options?

I read thru that too....and thought maybe a non-resident might have better luck going thru somewhere like Jefferson County...trying to get as far from NYC as possible?

If you have a lifetime permit from that county I guess it can be done.Some states honor the NY permit so no need to even bother.However some counties in NY are very restrictive and want you to surrender the permit along with the handguns if you were moving out of state.There has been non resident permits issued before but there are very difficult to obtain.A person I knew who attended Front Sight said he now has the ability to carry in almost evey state except Wisconsin, Illonois & DC.He said when he attended the class they give you all the information for every state.Florida & Utah non resident permits are good in over 30 states.NY,NJ,MA,ME,RI,CT,MD,CA,OR are the only states not included.

This is not that remarkable. You can obtain a pistol license in the county where you live OR WORK. He got a pistol license based on his place of work. That pistol license lists his home address. His home address changed. Big deal.

But I'm a little surprised no one thought to ask whether he's still working in Ulster...

This is not that remarkable. You can obtain a pistol license in the county where you live OR WORK. He got a pistol license based on his place of work. That pistol license lists his home address. His home address changed. Big deal.

But I'm a little surprised no one thought to ask whether he's still working in Ulster...

I don't believe it for a minute, I still have my life time full carry and when I left that was the end of my permit. no I did not turn in my weapons to them either, still have my permit as a keep sake. got my sc and fla. and don't need ny anymore and will never go back there. too much bs.
people get so use to being bullied arround and don't know any other way, GET OUT OF NY.
THERE IS LIFE AFTER NY

I don't believe it for a minute, I still have my life time full carry and when I left that was the end of my permit. no I did not turn in my weapons to them either, still have my permit as a keep sake. got my sc and fla. and don't need ny anymore and will never go back there. too much bs.
people get so use to being bullied arround and don't know any other way, GET OUT OF NY.
THERE IS LIFE AFTER NY

and that permit is still valid...it does not void itself just because you move out of NY. Its good until revoked and moving out of state is not ground for revocation.

you can live in nys your whole life, carry, be a honest citizen, never be arrested and then move out ??? stop paying taxes etc..
now we move to adiff. state, optain our permits there, try and come back into nys with your ccw and now your the criminal, doesn't make any sense to me and others that left for a better way way to live..

I can't find any law that say's even tho we left that our permits are no good there. as for the clerk giving him a non res. , she broke the law cause it will never stand up when he gets stopped with a sc D.L...

your the criminal when you return ????? altho you left an HONEST citizen. just my 2-cents

you can live in nys your whole life, carry, be a honest citizen, never be arrested and then move out ??? stop paying taxes etc..
now we move to adiff. state, optain our permits there, try and come back into nys with your ccw and now your the criminal, doesn't make any sense to me and others that left for a better way way to live..

I can't find any law that say's even tho we left that our permits are no good there. as for the clerk giving him a non res. , she broke the law cause it will never stand up when he gets stopped with a sc D.L...

your the criminal when you return ????? altho you left an HONEST citizen. just my 2-cents

So then who said it isnt any good?

The basic problem is that some counties have "read in" a requirement that licenses be canceled when a licensee moves out of state. There is no such affirmative requirement in the Penal Law. Subpart (4) of s. 400.00 (not quoted above) requires a person to apply where they live or work. If you do not live or work in NY you cannot apply, period. Subpart (7) says that when a license is issued to a non-resident (e.g. someone who lives outside NY but works in NY) the licensing authority has to state the reasons why. So while it is clear that you must live or work in NY to APPLY for a license, there is nothing that states that you must continue to hold the residence or place of employment or else your license becomes invalid. Bear in mind, it is a somewhat common practice for people to move to different counties (within NY) and notify their old county of their new address, but NOT transfer their licenses because the new county has bad issuance policies. So why can't you move to PA (for example) and just notify them of your new address?

Realistically - what could be done to help persuade more counties that there is no reason to cancel an otherwise valid pistol license when the licensee moves out of state?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back