NW Arkansas Pumpkin Shoot

ishi

Guys,

I had an idea that might be great fun, and I wanted to run this past you...

The day after Halloween, pumpkins usually go on sale, for really cheap sometimes. Especially oldish pumpkins. So, I had an idea to organize a pumpkin shoot. Ever shot a pumpkin before? Fun!

We would need some place out in the sticks, on some private land. I have no clue where a good place might be, so I thought I might ask the Arkansas forum. Saturday Nov 3rd or Sun the 4th might be ideal for this; the first weekend after halloween, when pumpkins are readily had, and for cheap.

What better way to spend a brisk autumn afternoon? It's very much in the spirit of the season!

What do you guys think?

Link Removed
inside-rambo.jpg

Last edited:
This would be so cool to do..probably the biggest concern is the short notice right now in getting the BIG guns together...as for a place to shoot, I think I can score a place out here in Madison Co...and I may know a place or two in Washington Co also..all in all, I like the idea! You gonna allow Trebuchet's?

This would be so cool to do..probably the biggest concern is the short notice right now in getting the BIG guns together...as for a place to shoot, I think I can score a place out here in Madison Co...and I may know a place or two in Washington Co also..all in all, I like the idea! You gonna allow Trebuchet's?

Sweet! I knew you'd come through, Dr. Lewall. If it's OK, I'll leave it to you to secure the location. I'll work the pumpkin procurement angle. Is Nov 3rd an OK date to shoot for?

Trebuchet, HELL YES! I've actually designed something similar, although it's never been tested... :eek:

Link Removed

Jc40

Damn.i wish i lived closer because i would definately attend an event like that.i think your on to something that could become big.

The 3rd NOV would probably be a good date for everyone but me..I'll be in ES that weekend..but as I said, I think I can score a site that would be real easy to get too right on hwy 74 here in Madison Co...BIG pasture and abt a 1/4 mile to 1/2 to the creek (abt 80 + acres) and its FLAT!..will make a phone call here in just a few to see if "Jay" will allow us to picth punkins!

I called Jay but of course I got his machine..I left a msg for him to call me and told a little of what we want to do..hopefully I will hear back from him soon! Keep your fingers crossed and the powder dry!

Hmm, for a really flat area, maybe devising a bullet trap would be necessary? I was thinking that ideally it would be best to put the pumpkin targets in front of a hill, so the hill catches the bullets.

Hrm, maybe 10 november would still be OK for a pumpkin shoot. Without Doc L, I think this whole thing might fall apart. Wanted to meet you anyway Doc.

funny you should ask agn...I may be able to fullfil your request for a hil side too! will keep you advised!

Anyone else here in NWA have access to a place where we can shoot and kill pumkins? THis will not be a "shoot a pumkin from a cannon" sorta deal..pumkins will be the targets..we need a place that has a LARGE berm to catch bullets, prefer a berm that is clean and free of rocks (ricochet hazard) and abt 15ft tall..so if you know a place, let us know here..time is short.

update

Okay, I'm researching ozark national forest land on wedington blacktop road. I'm going to locate and talk to the nat'l forest rangers to see if I can arrange access.

funny you should ask agn...I may be able to fullfil your request for a hil side too! will keep you advised!

But are there any hills in Arkansas that aren't all rock, which could send bullets flying everywhere? Of course, that could add a little "spice" to the outing. :D

tuff to find ANY hill here in AR without any rock in it..I was thinking maybe a pond with high banks to act as backstop and the only ponds I know with banks high enough would mean shooting towards a major roadway...I am lucky enough to walk out my door and do some target shooting..but I do not have a berm or any kind of solid(loose term here) bullet catcher..I am on a hillside and shoot down hill..there is probably 2 miles of woods to the nearest house and that is across the holler, over the hill and on tha backside so I have no fear at all of where my bullets go..I figure the probably travel into the woods a few feet or so and embed themselves into a tree..it saves me a 1/4 tanks of gas to town and a range fee..

If the hill is 150 to 200 yards away, I think that would reduce the risk to acceptable levels, would it not? The likelihood of a bullet changing direction completely and gaining a trajectory back to the origin seems really slim.

The other benefit of doing this on national forest land is that no private land owner has to worry about liability.

But are there any hills in Arkansas that aren't all rock, which could send bullets flying everywhere? Of course, that could add a little "spice" to the outing. :D

Spice, right, in the sense of "being peppered".. :eek:

Link Removed

Last edited:
Update!

I think I may have found a place in Huntsville where we can shoot. The Huntsville PD has a place where they train, big berm and tables, and I will call the chief on monday and see if we can shoot some pumpkins..of course we will have to clean up afterwards but with all uf us chipping in, it shouldnt take long..will post more info here when I get it..(this may be a doable event this next weekend, or when ever y'all decide, but don't wait too long as the pumpkins may go into hiding!)

I sure hope you get the place! I wanna try out some 5.45x39 7N6 ammo on a pumpkin. Splat!

Do we have a supply of pumpkins? The place that USE to have them out on 412 didnt do pumpkins this year..and with Thanksgiving commin on, am sure folks will hord the fruit!

while I was typing this out, the HSV Chief called..am afraid it would be a no go for using the range. It belongs to the City and there is liability issues and the mayor would have to approve it plus we would need the HSV PDFA instructor, who would be the SRO, be there in attendance so the shoot would have to be on HIS schedule..so in a nut shell, looks like we don't get to use that berm..sorry guys. Back to the ole planning board

Looks like there will not be a public pumpkin shoot this year. Sorry to ... uh... well actually nobody since there was only me and Lewall anyway.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back