NV CCW Permit Holders Forum

The Douglas County Undersheriff sort of put his foot in his mouth with the statement regarding shooting positions. I attribute it to nothing more than a simple faux pas. Firearm training for LEOs are totally different than for civilians since the mindset is personal protection. The mindset for LEOs is public safety. LEOs are also required to apprehend subjects. You're trying to get career LEOs to think along the lines of what's reasonable for a civilian. Civilians are not required to and in fact it's discouraged that you do. I have trained people in scooters and wheelchairs. If they can hit the target at 3, 5 and 7 yards using the present NVSCA qualification standards for NV CFPs, as far as I'm concerned they're good.

Also keep in mind that many of these qualifications occur on an indoor range where you can't do anything other than standing or perhaps sitting.

They are also not also entirely aware of the law.

The two big issues I have was the their knowledge of non-resident permits.

Nevada has a statutory definition of residency which is NRS 482.103. If you are required to get a NV DL and NV plates on your vehicle you are a Nevada resident and therefore may be summoned to serve on a jury in Nevada. If you're a NV resident, you're required to get a NV CFP within 60 days of establishing residency.

Derringers. If you have qualified with any revolver, you are automatically authorized to carry any single or double barrel derringer per NRS 202.3653. What it should be is semi-auto and other rather than revolvers to remove the confusion.

If the NVSCA is going to hold everything to the higher background check standard Nevada with the State Criminal Repository then our CFPs need to be NICS exempt.

I was surprised by their lack of knowledge as well, especially since they are the ones setting the training standards. As I mentioned on numerous occasions, my brother lives in Douglas County and he was angry about having to wait 130 days for his permit application to be approved. What was it that the Undersheriff said about 3 applicants getting arrested after the background check was returned to their office? I did not catch it all. I was listening to the forum more than I was watching it and I was at work. I got interrupted a bunch of times.

It's good about the shooting positions. I don't mind doing it if required, but it won't be easy like I mentioned. I missed a lot of that discussion and what I heard were complaints from the audience on the issue.

I just hope that you guys can get the semiauto thing taken care of and the NICS exemption. I don't know how possible to get that stuff on the ballet for this upcoming session, but it would be sweet if it gets passed.

Good luck on that!

Last edited:
While the forum was informative, it did make it clear to me that the NSCA is not totally aware of their members' actions. They are misinformed on some things such as serial numbers and CCW instructor policies.

I was surprised to hear about some of the CCW training changes such as demonstrating ability to handle a firearm. I did not understand the shooting position thing. Although I can still work out a little bit, my knees are not in the best of shape and I have had back surgery. Whatever is required, I will do what I can.
I asked Sheriff Skinner about that. He said it is on their form, but they don't "require" serial numbers.

This should be fixed now as all sheriffs should implement the new NCSA statewide application form.

If not, I would recommend correspondence with the NSCA, your local sheriff, your legislators.

I asked Sheriff Skinner about that. He said it is on their form, but they don't "require" serial numbers.

This should be fixed now as all sheriffs should implement the new NCSA statewide application form.

If not, I would recommend correspondence with the NSCA, your local sheriff, your legislators.

Thanks!

I have a feeling that Sheriff Skinner is "revamping" our county program. He also has seemed to clean house as far as his admin people go.

I know that when I originally applied, the lady that processed the form said it was required.

And I will state again, that Sheriff Skinner was a great help in identifying the problem I was having with my CCW, and correcting it!!

Carl

The last one was

You could obtain the last one on DVD. It wouldn't surprise me if they record all hearings in the legislative meeting and conference rooms as a matter of standard practice.

Contact Frank Adams of the NVSCA or your State legislator. If this one was recorded, it would be available from the same source as the last one.

Immediately after the proceedings, I asked a capitol employee about purchasing a CD. Unfortunately, he indicated no one asked to have the proceedings recorded.

Next time, we'll have to ask in advance to have it recorded!

Immediately after the proceedings, I asked a capitol employee about purchasing a CD. Unfortunately, he indicated no one asked to have the proceedings recorded.

Next time, we'll have to ask in advance to have it recorded!

It might be costly, but it would be cool if they video taped it and made DVDs. I would go for one of those.

Question RE Nevada Recognition of Texas CHL

Does anyone know the reason why Nevada doesn't recognize Texas' CHL? Will be moving there soon and wonder why. Thanks.

Probably age of issuance.

Does anyone know the reason why Nevada doesn't recognize Texas' CHL? Will be moving there soon and wonder why. Thanks.
More than likely it's because Texas issues at 18 to active duty military. I doubt that any State that issues at 18 for any reason will be on the Link Removed. You do have the option of getting Florida or Link Removed.

From listening to the CCW forum, they look at all the states' concealed carry training requirements. Supposedly, Nevada will work to accept the concealed carry permits of those states where the training requirements are similar.

Even if Nevada accepted the Texas CHL, as a Nevada resdident, you would still be required to get a Nevada CCW.

From listening to the CCW forum, they look at all the states' concealed carry training requirements. Supposedly, Nevada will work to accept the concealed carry permits of those states where the training requirements are similar.
I think he's moving to TX and was curious about TX not being on the NV recognition list. Both the training and issuance criteria must be the similar as Nevada or it doesn't make the list. Permitees must be 21 or over in Nevada. It stands to reason the minimum age of issuance is why TX failed to make the NV recognition list.
Even if Nevada accepted the Texas CHL, as a Nevada resident, you would still be required to get a Nevada CCW.
You are correct. You must get a NV CFP within 60 days of establishing residency per NRS 202.3688. Best bet is to apply for your NV CFP as soon as you believe you'll become a NV resident in the county you're going to be residing in as the sheriff has up to 120 days.

Last edited:
I think he's moving to TX and was curious about TX not being on the NV recognition list. Both the training and issuance criteria must be the similar as Nevada or it doesn't make the list. Permitees must be 21 or over in Nevada. It stands to reason the minimum age of issuance is why TX failed to make the NV recognition list.

You are correct. You must get a NV CFP within 60 days of establishing residency per NRS 202.3688. Best bet is to apply for your NV CFP as soon as you believe you'll become a NV resident in the county you're going to be residing in as the sheriff has up to 120 days.

Thanks for correcting me on that. I'd like to see the results of their next review.

Did anyone make a copy of the meeting on their computer?

I too would like to have a copy of the that meeting, however, the since the state didn't make a copy, I'm wondering: did anyone here copy it on their computer? I'd gladly pay a little something plus postage or handling of a hard copy or an online file/copy of your copy? PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

I too would like to have a copy of the that meeting, however, the since the state didn't make a copy, I'm wondering: did anyone here copy it on their computer? I'd gladly pay a little something plus postage or handling of a hard copy or an online file/copy of your copy? PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

A CD copy of the July 11, 2007 forum is (or at least was) available for $5.00 plus $4.50 shipping.

No one thought to ask them to do an audio recording of the September 10, 2008 forum.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back