NRA Shotgun course??

S&WM&P40

What does the NRA shotgun course teach you? Is it just the basic's like how to load unload, carry it,aim and so on and so on. Or is it some tactical stuff? does the NRA have a tactical shotgun course??

I have not taken NRA Basic Shotgun, but I did take NRA Basic Pistol. My guess is that the curriculum would be similar: safe handling, stance, grip, loading/unloading, and marksmanship. It gets students oriented to shooting as a recreational or competitive activity, but it is by no means a defensive or tactical course.

To the best of my knowledge, the NRA does not offer a defensive or tactical course for shotgun. However, there are plenty of other organizations/schools that do.

Yeah that's the thing, they are are like 5X as much as the NRA stuff lol. Seeing as how my money tree stopped growing cash for the winter(LOL,J/K) I am SOL on extra funds right now. But we do have a vary good one here in NH the SIGARMS academy it's about 350 for the tactical shotgun.

I will confess that the only guns I have ever shot at a range are handguns, and I would like the opportunity to take a shotgun course prior to taking my Mossberg 590 to the range, and possibly, using it in self-defense.

What does the NRA shotgun course teach you? Is it just the basic's like how to load unload, carry it,aim and so on and so on. Or is it some tactical stuff? does the NRA have a tactical shotgun course??

The NRA offers two shotgun classes. This should explain everthing:

# The NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting Course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for the safe and proper use of a shotgun in shooting a moving target. This course is at least ten-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning how to shoot shotguns at moving targets. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; shotgun parts and operation; shotgun shell components; shotgun shell malfunctions; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting at straight away and angled targets; cleaning; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Shotgun Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Shotgun Shooting Student Examination, and a course completion certificate.

# The NRA FIRST Steps Shotgun Orientation — Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training is the NRA’s response to the American public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers. NRA FIRST Steps Shotgun course is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific shotgun model. This course is at least three hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot a specific model shotgun at a moving target. Students will learn the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; the particular shotgun model parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; cleaning the shotgun; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Shotgun Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and a FIRST Steps Course completion certificate.

Sounds like the first one they get into it a little tactical stuff, but not much. I will save up and go with a Sigarms class.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back