Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea?

JoeWickman

Hey All,

I live in NYS and have an unrestricted carry permit.

Tonight I was talking to a friend of mine. He's a recently retired LEO. He said if he gets stopped for a traffic stop, etc. he does not notify the LEO stopping him. I asked him if it was LAW in NYS to notify the LEO as soon as you made contact. He didn't seem to think it was.

So, which is it? If I'm pulled over for a bum brake light, do I HAVE to notify the LEO, or is it just good practice?

How does this differ state-to-state? Or does it?

Thanks.

It is NOT required in NY. AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only Must Inform states.

Is it good practice? eh. It's a matter of preference. I wouldn't do it if not required. You're in NY...what do you think?

No offense to the OP but I would've thought a permit holder would already know that about the state their permit was issued in. Seems odd they do not.

No, it's not required. I tend to think that I wouldn't notify unless I was asked to step out of th vehicle. Then I would notify before he happened to notice a bulge on my hip. If it's just a speeding ticket or a warning, why bother bringing it up?

Notifying LEO's

I'm also an New York State Resident,

I've searched all the Penal Codes Looking for your Answer, and Found Nothing that States you are required to nottify LEO'S. I fully believe that it depends on the Situation, that has brought you to that encounter. The Officer that you are Engaging has allot to do with Notifying him,or her. I have come across some Officer's who were extremely nice, and some that are not so nice. Unfortuniatly you, and only you can make that call.

If the Officer that has me pulled over treats me, as I treat him, or her then yes I notify, But if the Officer has a chip on his,or her shoulder. I do not Notify. Beiing that it is not required.New York is always Modifying thier Handgun Laws to benifit Them, I continuiously search the Penal codes searching for that answer.You can never be to safe.I try always to error on the side of caution.

Here in MO we do not have to notify. When getting a driver's license here you are given a choice to attach your CCW permit or not. When I go shopping and have to issue a cheque to a merchant or a checkout chick in the supermarket, I don't want them to know that I am carrying. So far, touch wood, I haven't been stopped for any traffic violation or even anything, but if I am, it will be at my discretion when I do.

mrjam said it all. Individual preference, required in some states, and, in NY and other crazy blue states you probably are taking a big chance letting an LEO know anything if you do not have to.

If I'm not mistaken, you must inform in Indiana. When a LEO brings up your license, it will show up that you have a CC. I got stopped once and the last thing the LEO asked me was if I was carring. I was not that day which is why I didn't say anything. He thought he was going to bust me for not informing.

If you are stopped by an Erie co. Sheriff. It will be in their records that they were at your house for a pistol permit interview, I don't know if it says weather you were granted one by the Judge or not. I have heard the dispatch inform the officer to BOTLO for weapons.

If I'm not mistaken, you must inform in Indiana. When a LEO brings up your license, it will show up that you have a CC. I got stopped once and the last thing the LEO asked me was if I was carring. I was not that day which is why I didn't say anything. He thought he was going to bust me for not informing.

Incorrect. AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only 10 states.

So, which is it? If I'm pulled over for a bum brake light, do I HAVE to notify the LEO, or is it just good practice?

How does this differ state-to-state? Or does it?

Thanks.

IMHO, the answers to your questions are:

Required in NYS: NO.
Good practice: NO.
Differes from state to state: YES.
Required in WA: NO.
Good Practice: NO.

Did I mention I feel it is not good practice to inform when not required by law to do so?

My feeling is this: if I am stopped for a non-firearm related offense, why should I cause it to become firearm related? My lawfully possessed gun is not any different than my lawfully possessed cell phone or the CDs or stepdaughter's IPod in the car.

Texas requires you to notify if carrying weapon on or about your body including in car, it is also tied to your drivers license and they will know.

Where did you get this list? I was told by my CCW instructor you need to notify in Maine.

I went thru every state page Handgunlaw.us...click on your state...and top right corner answers the question.

At the top of the USA Carry page, you see Concealed Cearry Permit Info, clicking your state there will give the the law as it is written for your state.

Being retired LEO I can tell you I would prefer the person inform me as soon as I approach the person. It will make the experience more comfortable for both of us...Now don't miss-understand that I would treat you differently..But keep in mind if we were at a violent crime scene I'm going to want to make sure all weapons are secured before getting into the investigation...I would rather you tell me than me having to find it on you....Like I said it could avoid and miss-understanding between us and you know in that in this situation people are already tense!.It may even give you an edge with me.....Keep in mind this is my thought and opinion...But you know what they say about those.

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup! Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..

Being retired LEO I can tell you I would prefer the person inform me as soon as I approach the person. It will make the experience more comfortable for both of us...Now don't miss-understand that I would treat you differently..But keep in mind if we were at a violent crime scene I'm going to want to make sure all weapons are secured before getting into the investigation...I would rather you tell me than me having to find it on you....Like I said it could avoid and miss-understanding between us and you know in that in this situation people are already tense!.It may even give you an edge with me.....Keep in mind this is my thought and opinion...But you know what they say about those.

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup! Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..

but...there is a huge difference between a traffic stop and a violent crime scene that you bring into this.

Hey All,

I live in NYS and have an unrestricted carry permit.

Then it is incumbent upon you (As opposed to a bunch of Anonymous internet posters who won't be there when you get pulled over)to know the laws of your state. A good resource is handgunlaw.us or you can look at the top of your computer screen under the "Concealed Carry Permit Info" header. you need to actually read the law for yourself and be able to quote it to a cop if you need to.

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup!
Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..

Just curious... how is the CCW holder supposed to be your only backup after you have secured their firearm "for officer safety", of course.

but...there is a huge difference between a traffic stop and a violent crime scene that you bring into this.

A car description that matches yours may have been put out on the radio...WHAM..here we are!

There are a millions of things that can happen in a traffic stop....

No legal requirement in NY. If pulled over, keep your mouth shut unless specifically asked about a gun, if asked to exit the car or if you must reach into a glove box or pocketbook containing a gun.

NY has no pending legislation on this.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back