Not good for CCW in Ohio

KimberRB

CINCINNATI (AP) — A 71-year-old Cincinnati preacher has been convicted of aggravated menacing, after another motorist said he waved a gun and cursed at her.

Thomas Howell could get up to six months in jail on the misdemeanor charge when he’s sentenced Sept. 4.

Howell says he was on his way to First Commandment Church of the Living God in the East Walnut Hills neighborhood when April Evans cut him off on June 23. During Monday’s trial, Howell testified that he has a gun and permit but denied ever removing the weapon from its holster.

But a Hamilton County municipal court judge sided with Evans, who said the preacher threatened to shoot her and called her names as their cars chased each other.

Now I see three thing here that bother me.
1 he is a preacher and should be more patent with others.
2 How did she know he had a gun if he did not show it, which I feel he did.
3 This was in Cincinnati Ohio one of the most gun unfriendly city’s in Ohio.

I can just see the libs with this one thanks Mr. Howell

he is a preacher and should be more patent with others.

Not a very good witness I am afraid.

A lot of gun owners seem or suggest that CCW holders should always be "pacifist"

I disagree, that can get you killed, because you are not psychic and don't know if the other person is a "reasonable" person

Go on many gun boards and read story of "CCW holder killed" or "CCW holder shot"
then the same gun owners complaining/Monday morning quarterbacking " Well, he should've blah blah blah"
"If he had drawn the second he saw that blah blah blah he could've outef the "bad guy" blah blah blah ..."
with that said

from the story
as their cars chased each other.
Who here KNOWS what that woman is capable of ?

I just feel that in a case of road rage. Just let them go on. Now if she was chasing him that is different, but the way I read it he was chasing her now I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe he was just doing Gods work! And on the other side of the coin, I've encountered many uncouth, dumbass ministers in my time. Take your pick.

Indeed Cincinnati is one of the most gun unfreindly places in the US.

Florida is one of the freindliest and if he had done the same thing here, likely he would be facing agrevated battery with a firearm which carrys a MANDATORY three year sentence.

CCW NEVER gives anyone the RIGHT to wave, threaten, or otherwise attempt to use your weapon as a tool of intimdation, even if you ARE in the right.

It is a weapon of defense, if it is going to be withdrawn from its holster, it should be with the ACTUAL justification to fire it in your mind. There is certainly nothing in this incident that would say he had any justification to use his weapon at that time.

IMHO if the charges are true, he should be found guilty and his CCW should be revoked. He can thank his employer that it is only a misdemeanor.

Strong emotions and guns don't usually mix well. When angry, it's usually best to almost completely rule out the use of a firearm at that moment in time.

Indeed Cincinnati is one of the most gun unfreindly places in the US.

Florida is one of the freindliest and if he had done the same thing here, likely he would be facing agrevated battery with a firearm which carrys a MANDATORY three year sentence.

CCW NEVER gives anyone the RIGHT to wave, threaten, or otherwise attempt to use your weapon as a tool of intimdation, even if you ARE in the right.

It is a weapon of defense, if it is going to be withdrawn from its holster, it should be with the ACTUAL justification to fire it in your mind. There is certainly nothing in this incident that would say he had any justification to use his weapon at that time.

IMHO if the charges are true, he should be found guilty and his CCW should be revoked. He can thank his employer that it is only a misdemeanor.

What he said.

ditto 2beararms & dancingwolf - sad to say all people can and often do make wrong choices

Here in Texas that is called brandishing and is a no no. I would have to see more written about this incident before I would think that there is any way he could have thought himself in danger so as to need to pull his firearm. She may have ticked him off but if I pulled my gun on everyone that ticked me off I might as well walk around with it in my hand. Restraint, common sense, good judgement are all phrases that come to mind. From what I have read so far he seems to have exercised none of them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back