North Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have something to add.

Last edited:
I'm headed to Charlotte at the end of the month, so I checked with the Mecklenburg Sheriff's office to see if the greater CLT area had any regulations above and boyond what the NC DOJ website had. Her verbatim reply is:

You will be good as long as you obey the laws that you read on NC DOJ's website. Enjoy your trip.

Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have something to add.

Copied and pasted from your Resident Permit link:
"Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
North Carolina is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand-your-ground law."

Not correct.

Active Duty Military

Lukem, et. al.,
Doesn't NC have any exceptions for Active Duty Military to the requirements for CCW? I wrote my Sheriff in the county and he has not responded yet.

Anyone?

Hooyah!

Last edited:
Lukem, et. al.,
Doesn't NC have any exceptions for Active Duty Military to the requirements for CCW? I wrote my Sheriff in the county and he has not responded yet.

Anyone?

Hooyah!

Not that I can find.

Link Removed

Copied and pasted from your Resident Permit link:
"Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
North Carolina is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand-your-ground law."

Not correct.

Resto Guy;

NC is a Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Law State, you Sir, stand corrected!

Links to NC Firearms Laws.

For your review & use:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Grass Roots NC is an excellent resource

If clicking on the above links doesn't work, then copy and paste into Browser.

BGB

North Carolina is NOT a Castle Doctrine state. The General Assembly just had a meeting yesterday about whether or not to bring Castle Doctrine to NC. the proposed bill I saw stated that it would go into affect Dec of 2011

North Carolina is NOT a Castle Doctrine state. The General Assembly just had a meeting yesterday about whether or not to bring Castle Doctrine to NC. the proposed bill I saw stated that it would go into affect Dec of 2011

What about this?

GS_14-51.1

§ 14‑51.1. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.
(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.
(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.
(c) This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 673, s. 1.)

What about this?

GS_14-51.1

§ 14‑51.1. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.
(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.
(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.
(c) This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 673, s. 1.)

This is a "stand your ground" clause type of law. The difference between the two is that castle doctrine exempts me from civil law suites. As the law stands, even if my shooting is deemed legal, the family can still sue me for shooting their sweet, innocent, church going boy.

Castle doctrine would protect me from such BS.

This is a "stand your ground" clause type of law. The difference between the two is that castle doctrine exempts me from civil law suites. As the law stands, even if my shooting is deemed legal, the family can still sue me for shooting their sweet, innocent, church going boy.

Castle doctrine would protect me from such BS.

Which explains my post on Page 1.

NC does away with RECIPROCITY requirements...

Link Removed

Scroll down to III C. Concealed Handgun Permit, where it reads (second paragraph):

"North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina."

This is HUGE. And I haven't seen it reported elsewhere...NRA, USA Carry, etc. The December 2011 revised North Carolina Firearms Laws does away with the reciprocity requirement that was still in the September 2010 NC Firearms Laws revision.

So, as I read it, after Dec. 1, 2011 I can conceal carry in North Carolina with my Massachusetts CC permit (No restrictions, large capacity) as long as I comply with North Carolina's CC laws.

Whaddya think?

The carry laws have changed in North Carolina. The main carry page should be updated with this information.

Although a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, permittees are not
authorized to carry the permitted weapon anywhere they desire. The weapon may not be carried
in the following:
1. Areas prohibited by G.S. § 14-277.2 (Picket lines or demonstrations);
2. Areas prohibited by G.S. § 14-269.4 (Certain State properties such as
courthouses);
3. Areas prohibited by rules adopted under G.S. § 120-32.1 (Legislative
buildings);
4. Areas prohibited by 18 USC § 922 or any other federal law;
5. Any law enforcement agency or correctional facility;
6. Areas housing only State or federal offices;
7. An office of the State or federal government that is not located in a
building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government;
8. Any premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is
prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice, or statement by the
person in legal possession or control of the premises; or
9. School grounds under G.S. § 14-269.2, except permittees can secure their
handguns in their vehicle on school grounds. (Note: Private schools
reserve the right to prohibit firearms altogether.)
Permittees are specifically allowed to carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
1. Premises where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed unless the
premises is posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. Of
course, the permittee may not consume any alcohol while carrying in this
area. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.3;
2. Premises where a fee is charged for admission unless the premises is
posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat. §
14-269.3; 20
3. Parades and funerals unless the area is posted to prohibit the possession or
carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-277.2; and
4. Grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in
G.S. § 113-44.9.
As provided in G.S. § 14-269.4(5), it is lawful for any person to carry a firearm openly,
or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at
any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing
reservation. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back